Options

Certs: Money or Learning?

2»

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nope I meant literally 95/10 (not 5). To me the pressure to get more money is so much it can be debilitating when I know I am not getting more of it (hence the 105 percent not 100 percent like a normal human).

Now when I start Calc II then a math trek will be in order.

I think this has me covered though:
    Khan Academy

A huge thank you for that link! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A huge thank you for that link! icon_cheers.gif
    Khan is just an all around beast. Make sure to read his story when you have a few minutes. The guy is just incredible.
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I have a number of certs not really related to my career path because I got them in beta and found the topics interesting. I also like to keep things kind of broad from a knowledge perspective because you never know what might come along. About 9 months ago I was looking at a position that was asking for SQL Server database development and Windows 7 deployement. Well, it just so happens that I had my MCITP: DBA and had completed the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Admin 7 when it was in beta. I was certain I was the only person in my area with those two in combination. I never received even a call back about it, but I suspect it was because of the recruiter more than the match. That would have been cool.
    Are the Beta's free? I've heard that but I wasn't sure. I have a interest in a lot of things that I will study but to spend those hundreds to take an exam, not interested as much...lol.

I wish Cisco threw out some free betas. icon_sad.gif
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jahsoul wrote: »
    Are the Beta's free? I've heard that but I wasn't sure. I have a interest in a lot of things that I will study but to spend those hundreds to take an exam, not interested as much...lol.

I think the route, switch and troubleshoot betas were at a greatly reduced cost. When/If the SECURE (new SNRS) beta comes out I would like to do it.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Yes, the MS betas are free. You should fill out a SME profile to be considered for them.

How to become a Microsoft Learning SME - Born to Learn - Born To Learn - Born to Learn

Then keep an eye on the Born to Learn blog.

Home - Born to Learn
  • Options
    wolverene13wolverene13 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I get certs to learn. I feel like I need to know everything there is to know about whatever it is I am interested in. Getting a cert teaches me about the technology in a formalized way without having to go to back to school or something of that nature. The money is secondary. For instance, I primarily work with routers and switches, but I am interested in learning about Linux. I run it on my PC at home right now and most of my knowledge is self-taught via Google, but I really want to learn the ins and out of it, so I'm either going for an LPIC cert or Linux+. My job in no way involves servers, but I'm just learning for fun and it won't boost my pay any. But that's of no concern to me.
    Currently Studying: CCIP - 642-611 - MPLS
    CCIP Progress: [x] BSCI
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes i generally think it is about money because with the current cut -throat competition for jobs - more certs make a person more employable and eventually leads to more money icon_thumright.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    marco71 wrote: »
    70% - money/career
    30% - others (interest, ego)

same here....
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□

Yes betas are free
    My FCNSP was a beta exam and well passed it, and it counts like a real one ;P