Microsoft quietly cuts number of product keys

shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
TechNet Subscriptions: Microsoft quietly cuts number of product keys available to TechNet subscribers.

Microsoft quietly cuts number of product keys available to TechNet subscribers | ZDNet

For Example for Windows XP, you get 5 keys instead of the 10 you used to get.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Another major Microsoft FAIL!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Hmm. Thats a bit annoying and also bad that its a stealth change.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's inconvenient, that's for sure, but understandable. Although, I wish they'd cut the number of future TechNet subscriptions down, instead of hitting all of us. It feels a bit odd to suddenly have a subscription I paid $350 for cut in half in terms of licensing. Not the end of the world, but as tiersten said, a bit annoying.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Hmm. Thats a bit annoying and also bad that its a stealth change.

+1. Couldn't agree more, that is a bit annoying.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ouch! icon_mad.gif

Yeh im with Slowhand here. The principal is, this change cuts our license keys in half for a product we paid full price for. Hell I never read T&C's but in cases like this it might be worth doing.....

Im gonna check my Sub tomorrow morning and check my Key allocation counts.

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    it’s a “feature,” according to Microsoft.

Check out this new feature, you give me money, and I give you nothing. I think its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

5 keys is probably plenty, but imagine if you went to the grocery store and bought a loaf of bread and then got home and found it that half of it was missing.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    If you've previously claimed keys then they stay. I looked at my TechNet Pro sub and it says 10/5 for some of them because I claimed a bunch for no reason. Only one of them has ever been activated but I expect the other 9 are still good.

Assuming you're not reinstalling this like crazy, you can always phone up to get the manual authentication code if it complains about it being previously activated. Its not 2 installs and thats it forever so not end of the world.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    If you've previously claimed keys then they stay.

Which would explain the quiet part of this. If they announced that they would be scaling back, everyone would just claim everything today, which still isn't a bad idea. I did it with my MSDN subscription because I know that someday I will no longer be a student and will lose access.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    This is probably because of the recent MS partner changes. They've added tons of access keys for partners with certain competencies, but you only get them if you have a action pack/technet subscription.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is this even legal? How can you pay for something and then the change what you have access to? If they cut the price in half and offer refunds that would seem fair but how can they do this?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Aren't the keys multiple activation? I've only had one, two max, for each OS/product, and I've activated them dozens of times over the course of 2+ years.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This must be why my Win7 is no longer "genuine"... I was wondering what happened.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    dynamik wrote: »
    Aren't the keys multiple activation? I've only had one, two max, for each OS/product, and I've activated them dozens of times over the course of 2+ years.
    They're not supposed to be multiple activation. They might be more flexible with the timer that resets them to be internet activation capable though as they're TechNet keys however.
    powerfool wrote: »
    This must be why my Win7 is no longer "genuine"... I was wondering what happened.
    They've not revoked any keys. You just can't claim more than 2 now. Your not genuine Windows problem is something else.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Which would explain the quiet part of this. If they announced that they would be scaling back, everyone would just claim everything today, which still isn't a bad idea. I did it with my MSDN subscription because I know that someday I will no longer be a student and will lose access.
    Yeah. Its in their FAQ as to why they did the stealth change. They knew people would suddenly go out and claim every single possible key they could. Stupid really. I can see there be really bad PR from this. Maybe I should bug the "IT Evangelist" people that Microsoft are so proud about.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm glad I have MSDN at work. But I was considering getting TechNet for home labs and stuff. Makes me second guess it now.
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I feel cheated I paid my monies I want what I paid for damn it. Plain and simple.