Finished reading my Server+ book but I now noticed the book was focused on the 2005

jimmy6067jimmy6067 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, as I stated, I Finished reading my Server+ book but I now noticed the book was focused on the 2005 edition. I would prefer to take to 2009 edition however I'm sure the 2005 edition was revamped for a reason. Hence I feel I wouldn't be prepared for the 2009 edition goals. I plan on taking the test soon but if I do go for the 2005 edition, I just hope I'm not throwing money away. I don't expect to get a server admin job with this cert but I want it to be considered valuable to employers, if they see it on my resume.What do you all think?

Comments

• PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    jimmy6067 wrote: »
    So, as I stated, I Finished reading my Server+ book but I now noticed the book was focused on the 2005 edition. I would prefer to take to 2009 edition however I'm sure the 2005 edition was revamped for a reason. Hence I feel I wouldn't be prepared for the 2009 edition goals. I plan on taking the test soon but if I do go for the 2005 edition, I just hope I'm not throwing money away. I don't expect to get a server admin job with this cert but I want it to be considered valuable to employers, if they see it on my resume.What do you all think?

If you know the book you read quite well, I would almost say you could pass on that, there haven't been tremendous leaps and bounds in the material in 4 years. I took mine in 2005, so I can't assure you of this with 100% certainty, but I'd say 90% - 95% of the material is the same.

RAID Levels havn't changed, backup types haven't changed, I'm sure they are still testing on SCSI even though its dying a slow death, disaster recovery is still the same, etc etc. Of course you want to test on 2009, I dont think you could even get the choice, being paranoid, I would check out a newer book and skim through it to make sure I was comfortable with everything... Even though you honestly could still pass just using your older book.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The 2005 version will still be around until December 31st. You could just take that one. I have never heard of an employer asking what version of a cert you have. And you can always take the bridged exam to update it.

Also, the 2005 version has 20 less questions and requires a 615/900 to pass while the new test requires 750/900.
    Decide what to be and go be it.