Options

Do you build your own computer?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
I am currently taking an A+ course, and as I am learning, I think to myself, I should build my own computer. I am in the market for a new one, but if I learn all this A+ stuff, shouldn't I be able to build my own?

Do you all build your own?

or is it like changing your own oil? Like I know how to change my own oil, but I would much rather just drive through a quick change and pay someoen to do it
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just built my third. It's gotten where you can pretty much buy one as cheaply as doing a self build so it's pretty much build it yourself to your own specs if you just like doing it.
    My next computer I'll probably just buy as building one takes a lot of time, research, and as mentioned before money.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    depened how I'm feeling.

A desktp I would generaly build my self, only takes 30 min er it all online and I can have it built and running quicker than driving to the shop to buy one ready made.

Laptops I would buy prebuilt..

Honestly I would build at lest one PC if I wanted to get in to IT. Knowing the theroy of changing your own oil, is not the same as knowing how to cahnge your own oil.

In my view you can't claim to "know" how to sdo some thing unless you really have actuly done it!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently taking an A+ course, and as I am learning, I think to myself, I should build my own computer. I am in the market for a new one, but if I learn all this A+ stuff, shouldn't I be able to build my own?

Yes, you should be able to build your own PC. It's pretty easy to build one. The "designing" part is the hardest, in my opinion - picking the right hardware for your budget and of course the best bang for the buck.

Yes, however, my last PC wasn't built. I just bought a PC from Dell and upgraded some of the components, like RAM, Video Card, and PSU. For $600, I got 22" LCD monitor, AIO Wireless Printer, and PC with Q6600 in it. At that time, Q6600 was selling for $300 and the monitor was around that price also. It was a no brainer for me!
    or is it like changing your own oil? Like I know how to change my own oil, but I would much rather just drive through a quick change and pay someoen to do it

I'd rather pay someone to do my oil change than doing it my own. That is because I really don't know how to work on cars. If I know how to work on cars and I have the tools then maybe I'll do it. I can make some money off that! :)
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I grew up in the country, and my dad was a jack of all trades guy. So he thought I should know how to do stuff like change my own oil, change my brakes, drive a tractor, etc.

Changing oil is time consuming and very messy. Plus I feel you should pay an expert to do work. I worked as a phone man for 9 years, and I saw all the horrible work people did trying to do their own wiring. I can do some minor plumbing and electrical repairs, but I know I won't be doing it as well as a plumber or an electrictian.

But being A+ certified should make me qualified for all of this, so in a sense I would be the expert, right?

Overall I think I have to agree with DevilWAH, I should do it at least once just to make sure I know how to do it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I build my own whenever I get the chance.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I built my computer before the A+ exam. I'm about to upgrade the computer in about a year. It'll cost about $760 right now so I'll wait for the prices to go down alittle. My stuff is around 3 years old and I need to keep up with the new games :) I also plan on building my laptop.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been building my desktops ever since my mom & dad bought me a IBM 486 SX-25 machine for my high school graduation present. The crappy CPU was embedded, and didn't have an expansion socket for a math processor, so I was left with a less than satisfactory experience on games like Doom & Descent. Not going to have that problem ever again. :)
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always build my own, though I rarely build entirely from scratch. A "new PC" for me is usually the old one with a new mobo/CPU/memory. Drives and video cards are replaced/supplemented as needed.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Honestly I would build at lest one PC if I wanted to get in to IT. Knowing the theroy of changing your own oil, is not the same as knowing how to cahnge your own oil.

In my view you can't claim to "know" how to sdo some thing unless you really have actuly done it!

I built my own PC during the days where a tech/PC hobbyist actually had to know such fun things as IRQ settings and jumpering devices for those setings. Today if I wanted to build a PC, it's practically all plug and play with MINOR hardware tinkering (if even that).

With so much time I spent looking at motherboards, types of RAM, CPUs, etc., it was better for me to just buy an entry-level server. My server ended up being cheaper than if I had bought the parts separately. Plus, once you get to a certain level in life (be it IT or in general), it is ok to spend your money/time on other things while you concentrate on other things. For someone who just got A+, then yes, they should build at least one PC. Folks who get A+ today really have it easy compared to those who got it when it first came out it. Plug and Pray really became a good standard. :D But I do like the fact that I can take a PC apart drunk and put it back together again better than when it was working before....lmao. But I no longer enjoy that aspect...especially when you have family members who want to bother you with the dumbest of computer questions. icon_sad.gif But the knowledge is still there with me. :)
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I want to build a top-end machine, I find building it myself is the best option. I build a system around the processor that I want, and usually find that I cannot find a similar system in a pre-build form for the same price.

I have bought pre-built systems, but usally find something nags at me, not enough SATA ports or maximum RAM is too small or something. I put in the effort before-hand when building a system to get exactly what I want then make sure I get the right RAM for the motherboard etc.

If you have never built your own machine, it's one of the things you must do to be a proper tech, in my opinion.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im too lazy
    i just buy my laptop and thats it :)
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    I used to be totally into the overclocking scene back in high school, and always built my own stuff. Water cooling loops, TECs, hundreds of dollars into a single new part... now I run a Mac laptop and a Dell PC at home. I don't bother with building my own anymore; too time-consuming with little reward. Also, can't compete with the OEM warranties. ;)
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I built one and used it for much longer than expected. But I think one is enough- as previously mentioned, you can't beat OEM incentives.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i haven't had a desktop computer since probably 2005. I just buy higher-end Dell laptops and use them until they crap out or my wife needs a new computer (upgrade time for me). My last string of laptops was a 12 inch Dell, followed by a XPSm1330, and now a Studio XPS 16. I've never had any type of hardware failures, crashes, or loss of performance. I wish my XPS 16 supported docking stations but oh well.

I think I don't roll with desktops any more because I can't be bothered to sit in a room at home doing computing. I sit in a cubicle for ten hours a day computing so I don't want to do that at home. I can sit on my couch with a laptop and watch TV while checking forums, email, etc. Computing becomes far less intrusive when you make it fit the rest of your life versus making it a focal point.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love building PCs. It can be frustrating at times though if you're going for a clean or "invisible" cable management setup lol.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    i haven't had a desktop computer since probably 2005. I just buy higher-end Dell laptops and use them until they crap out or my wife needs a new computer (upgrade time for me). My last string of laptops was a 12 inch Dell, followed by a XPSm1330, and now a Studio XPS 16. I've never had any type of hardware failures, crashes, or loss of performance. I wish my XPS 16 supported docking stations but oh well.

I think I don't roll with desktops any more because I can't be bothered to sit in a room at home doing computing. I sit in a cubicle for ten hours a day computing so I don't want to do that at home. I can sit on my couch with a laptop and watch TV while checking forums, email, etc. Computing becomes far less intrusive when you make it fit the rest of your life versus making it a focal point.

Same here lol , i think because we are network engineers that we have little use for desktops now.

To be honest i haven't had a desktop since early 2000's, its just too clunky and big. Plus i have no need for one anymore, like Paul Boz , i own a dell laptop studio xps 13" Those are some nice powerfull and reliable laptops. I can run any game on it and with my iPhone 4 tethered i can play online , go online, work from anywhere i want lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    personally id buy a prebuilt and upgrade what ya want on it after

now i use a netbook and desk top for most of my work lately the netbook is getting more use
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I will continue to build my own systems for at least a few more years. Then I will just buy a system and get support for it, I will get tired of doing my own IT :p
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't. The main reason is that you would have to be crazy to try and put your own laptop together, and I prefer a powerful laptop that can be used as my desktop, but also portable.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I usually build my own -- and then fix/upgrade as needed. ATX cases that started as single processor Pentiums are now quad core PCs.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got into repairing/building computers because i didn't want to pay someone to fix it. Since then i've built over 500 desktops and servers. Luckily i've only damaged 2 components during that time. It made my transition to help desk easier because of the troubleshooting skills i've acquired and i'm also able to tell a customer how to install components over the phone.

You may want to find an old working computer and take it completely apart and reassemble a few times to see if you can get it to boot. Even take it apart one day and reassemble a few days later so you're comfortable with it. Then build your own. I've seen too many newbies get in a rush and knock a chip off of the graphics card, or crank down on a mobo screw too tight and impale the mobo with the screwdriver. Then they get mad that the manufacturer won't honor the warranty (lol).

Definitely a skill you should pick up.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think it's even practical to build your own laptop. Sure there are barebones laptops available, but you are still buying a pre-built laptop, just with a few parts missing (RAM, CPU, etc.). For my laptops I buy the best base model I can find, and upgrade the parts I want. On my current T510 I have 8GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD... purchased from Lenovo those would have added about $1400, instead I bought the laptop with the minimum RAM and hard drive, then purchased an 8GB RAM kit and a superior SSD from 3rd party manufacturers for about $500.

For my desktops and servers I only build. I've been building PCs for over 10 years so I haven't had any trouble with compatibility for many years. Also buying individual parts usually gives you superior warranties than you get with OEMs without paying extra (lifetime for some parts such as RAM, 5 years for hard drives, etc.). I buy high quality components so they tend to last a while anyway. I can reuse cases, power supplies, sometimes RAM, etc., and search for deals, to cut down the costs. Sure it won't be a cheap as the cheapo deal of the day Dell/HP/etc., but I don't mind paying extra for quality and being able to have the exact parts I want.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get all the hands on you can now while getting the A+ as it'll help you later on. Once you've been in IT a while you probably wont want to do the work anymore of building your own but at least you will have the knowledge to be able to shop around for the PC/laptop you want.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used to build my own back in the day but now I am too lazy to research/figure out/ guess what goes with what. I still have my Dell XPS 420 I bought a few years ago and it runs all my games fine. I just upgraded the video card to a Radeon 5850 a couple of months ago because the 4870 I had upgraded the original video card with was too dang hot. It literally felt like somebody left the furnace door open at the back of my desktop.

Since we are now paying 529 college savings, day care, baby this and baby that I might build my own again to save a few hundred dollars. The Radeon I have now I can do the Eyefinity triple monitor game deal. I bought the VGA-Display port adapter so I can add my older LCD panel for triple monitor Microsoft Excel-Word-PDF madness.....icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I've been spoiled with laptops for the last 5 years or so, and with MacBook Pro's in particular for the last 3, so I don't even have a desktop at home anymore. When I was a desktop user, yes, I always built my own. Right now, every desktop that I had parts for and would still boot is currently functioning in some way or another in my lab, usually as a linux server.
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Mike-Mike wrote: »

Here is a great site for you: ExtremeTech - Computer Hardware and Software News, Reviews, and Advice
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Build. Your. Own.

You get exactly what you want. The other side of it that no one mentioned yet, is the OS - you load only what you want, clean install. Plus, you'll have the actual windows disc (or whatever OS you choose).

When it comes to processors, to each their own. Cost is the biggest factor though.
    RAM - get 4GB and be done with it.
    Case - I prefer the ATX Full tower so you have plenty of elbow room when trying to fit in the power supply cabling etc. I like to have 4 case fans, 80mm or bigger. 2 in the back, one in the front, and one on the top or side. I like a clear side panel to see all the pretty lights. Just a preference.

If you get a beefed up graphics card, toss the power supply the comes with your case, and spend $100 on a good power supply - i like the modular ones where you only use what you need, the rest of the cables dont even need to be in the case. Depending on your budget, you could also consider an aftermarket cooling fan for the graphics card.

Being new to building, you just need to be certain that you get the right motherboard for your processor, ram, and graphics card. Motherboard selection and matching with your other components is crucial.

It is alot of fun.

If you dont feel confident with your selection or want advice on specific components, I highly recommend these forums:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I haven't built my own computer since 2002.... It just isn't as cost effective as it used to be. There used to be a much larger gap as far as how much cheaper it was to build your own PC. Now I can go to Microcenter and purchase a decent PC with OS for close to the same price as it would cost to build one.

Also, I probably replace so many parts on my job and side job that I just don't have the fun building a PC anymore that I used to have.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I enjoy building PCs although I'm not doing so as before, last PC I build (for me) was at 2005. I use AMD most of the time I love them they are cheaper and in many cases faster only problem is heating so you need extra fans.

I agree about Power Supply it's a good investment so don't be cheap with it also the mainboard I usually use ASUS they are very reliable.

Don't go under 4 GB of memory especially if you wanna use Virtualization

If you need any specific question please don't hesitate to ask, building PC is easy once you build your first one.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I built one computer and that was probably enough for me. I find a lot of value in knowing that I can go to one website and download all the drivers. I also like knowing that there is an extended waranty option available. I pretty much have one of everything but mostly buy dell. Their desktops are reasonable and if you go to the outlet they're dirt cheap. I just don't have the time or drive to build it. Also as I've gotten older I don't really play many games so I don't need top of the line parts if I'm only going to run Xtreme Spreadsheet Office Program 2011.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com