Options

MCSE is Done!

I passed 298 yesterday with a 762 :). Not the greatest score, but it's been such a long road for me and now I can finally say I done it. 3 years ago after failing 290 3 times I had began to think MCSE was not possible for me to achieve. Walking the MCSE track has not just been about getting a better job and making more money, but a personal challenge that I once thought someone as average as myself could not do. But I am just so glad I kept pressing on even when my co-workers and friends had given up on trying for MCSE. I kept going and finally made it to the top :D. Yeah I know MCSE is becoming outdated, but I must say it's been a great challenge and I had my reasons for wanting to stick to it until it was done. I know there are bigger challenges ahead, but I figure as long as I keep my current mindset I will achieve those as well.

Now I'll be working on Security+ to get MCSE: S. Then after that I'll be taking a break for the rest of the year and through the holiday season. My goals so far for next year are CCNA: S, MCTS 680, and MCTS 649.
Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the great accomplishment! icon_cheers.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not only is it still a great challenge, it is just as great (or maybe even greater because of the extra tests) as the MCITP:EA.

Congratulations on your success. Remember that you need 2 security electives, and the Security+ is only one of them. The 299 is basically the same test content as the 298, except it is back in the test fashion that we have grown to expect from MS.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Thanks earweed and Asif Dasl :).

Devilsbane wrote: »
    Not only is it still a great challenge, it is just as great (or maybe even greater because of the extra tests) as the MCITP:EA.

Congratulations on your success. Remember that you need 2 security electives, and the Security+ is only one of them. The 299 is basically the same test content as the 298, except it is back in the test fashion that we have grown to expect from MS.

Thanks Devilsbane. I checked with Microsoft directly, and since I have 350 as one of my electives all I need now is Security+. It probably would've been easier to do 299 and 298 together, but back when I did 350 I wasn't sure if I was going for the security specialization or not.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Technito wrote: »
    Thanks Devilsbane. I checked with Microsoft directly, and since I have 350 as one of my electives all I need now is Security+. It probably would've been easier to do 299 and 298 together, but back when I did 350 I wasn't sure if I was going for the security specialization or not.

Sounds like a plan. Make sure you pick up Darril Gibson's book for the Security+. Its one of the best books you'll ever buy.

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (Volume 0) (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    TECHNITO!!!!! Congrats amigo! It's good to see you finished. I agreed with everything you said, I feel the same way. 293 kicked my rear, but I kept at it. As far as being outdated, I figure 2k3 is going to be around for some time and I've read many places that the upgrade tests to MCITP are easier for most people due to the 2k3 studies.

Thanks for giving me a little pep, I was starting to drag and lose focus, it's not like most of us have a "physical" study group to cheer and motivate each other on everyday. I have been at this now for a year and a half, I had to take 7 months off of studying for "life" issues, but you have shown it pays to not deter.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan. Make sure you pick up Darril Gibson's book for the Security+. Its one of the best books you'll ever buy.

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (Volume 0) (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

Appreciate the recommendation. I'll be ordering the book sometime over the weekend and hope to get right down to it when I get it.

motogpman wrote: »
    TECHNITO!!!!! Congrats amigo! It's good to see you finished. I agreed with everything you said, I feel the same way. 293 kicked my rear, but I kept at it. As far as being outdated, I figure 2k3 is going to be around for some time and I've read many places that the upgrade tests to MCITP are easier for most people due to the 2k3 studies.

Thanks for giving me a little pep, I was starting to drag and lose focus, it's not like most of us have a "physical" study group to cheer and motivate each other on everyday. I have been at this now for a year and a half, I had to take 7 months off of studying for "life" issues, but you have shown it pays to not deter.

Thanks motogpman :). Yeah I've heard that before that some of upgrade exams are not all that bad. So guess I better not wait too long before taking them. But yeah I understand life issues arise and it's hard to stay self-motivated at times. But trust me, you'll be so glad when you have it completed. You don't have far to go. The important thing is to take your time and have your MCSE before you know it. Good luck the rest of the way :)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Hopefully your success story will light a fire under my ass so I can start getting serious about finishing this thing!!!

PS 2000th post icon_cool.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Thanks @ Robert and snadam :)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and welcome to the club!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Good work sticking to it.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Grats and well done.
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Congrats Dude.....
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Way to go, man. I hope to post the same one day. Seems like such a long way to go....
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Technito. Your posts also helped light a fire under my arse to help get me going again so I thank you. bowing.gif

I'm finding it difficult to study sometimes for the 70-291 because like you said, I believe I am not the "sharpest tool in the shed" so I have I have to work harder at things where my coworkers don't. Sometimes when I'm studying I keep thinking that there is no way I am gonna pass this test b/c it's so hard, blah blah blah. But then I read posts such as yours who help keep me on track.

Good luck on the 2008 track and Security+ (it's a real humdinger)....
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.