Options

Windows 2008 Server

johnhumphreyjohnhumphrey Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am new to Windows 2008 Server. I am trying to create my own lab. I know you need a 64 bit CPU to run 08 server but how do people using a 32 bit CPU get away with it. Do I need to go out and by a new PC with a 64 bit CPU? Is there other ways around it? I hate to go out and buy a new PC to run 2008 Server. Any suggestions? I tried using it with VMWare but I couldn't even do that.

Thanks
John

Comments

• Options
    joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2K8 comes in a few flavors. There is a 32/64 bit version, and a 2K8-R2 version which requires a 64bit processor.
  • Options
    Can you get a trial version of a 32 bit? I only see the 2008 R2 trial version.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ae you referring to Windows Server 2008 R2? If that is the case you do need a 64 bit processor. I'm not awae if any of the Virtual platforms (Virtual box, Virtual PC, or VMWare workstation) will allow you to run a 64 bit VM on a 32 bit host but I very much doubt it.
    If you still have a PC with a 32 bit processor you are in serious need of upgrading and I recommend you shop around for a good PC with a 64 bit processor. If you are planning on labbing with Server 2008 R2 you may want to make sure the computer can support Hyper-V as you will want to be able to use it. Hyper-V Getting Started Guide

Edit: You may as well use R2 as that is what the tests now cover.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Yes I am trying to work on starting my MCITP. Was just trying to get some experence under my belt. I can't get a job anywhere because I don't have enough job releated experience.
  • Options
    Yes I am trying to work on starting my MCITP. Was just trying to get some experence under my belt. I can't get a job anywhere because I don't have enough job releated experience.
    One of the ways you get the phone calls and interviews is to work on your resume. If you are the "go to guy" among friends and family then what you have done is experience and you just use that and say you were an independent PC consultant (part time) and list the types of things you have done there.
    Put together a resume genericize it (remove the personal identifying info and company names) and post it here in the IT jobs/degrees section and you will get some good tips. I just had some help on my resume recently and have had more phone calls and interviews in the last 2 weeks than I had gotten in the last 3 months.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I have gotten a lot of calls from temp agencys with contract jobs but I hate to leave a job for 12 yrs to get a contract job for 6 months. With the economy the way it is I can't afford to be unemployed. Thanks for the tips though.
  • Options
    With the current economy and the way the IT field presently is those 6 month contract jobs are practically the only way into the field with no experience. Getting more certs wont really help you get into IT. You will eventually have to leave that job you've had for 12 years if you wish to get into IT and you have to start somewhere.
    As to the Server 2008, labbing with Server 2008 32 bit would be a mistake as the exams are being shifted to the Server 2008 R2 which only comes in a 64 bit version.
  • Options
    Just afraid I will get tossed into the wild. I have my A+ and my N+ but I have gotten those a few years ago since I don't use it all the time my skills aren't probably the best. I am just afraid that I would get laid off rather quickly.