Options

testout A+ Training, is that all?

alex59195alex59195 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello fellow people,
i am new to the IT field and currently working on getting my a+ cert. exam 220-701 and 702. I am using testouts A+ program on the computer. Is this going to be all i need to learn and study to pass the exam? I just was wondering about program vs. book. I dont want to use my time on the program if it is not going to work for me to past the test because it wasnt enough information. will i be able to pass the exams solely from the teachings on testouts A+ program.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's recommended to use more than one source anyway. You should be using the book along with the videos.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    alex59195 wrote: »
    Hello fellow people,
    i am new to the IT field and currently working on getting my a+ cert. exam 220-701 and 702. I am using testouts A+ program on the computer. Is this going to be all i need to learn and study to pass the exam? I just basicly wondering about program vs. book. I dont want to use my time on the program if it is not going to work for me to past the test because it wasnt enough information.

Are you just using practice tests or video learning? If only practice tests, then I think you're approaching this the wrong way. You aren't supposed to learn directly from practice tests, otherwise you're only memorizing a question bank and will be sorely disappointed when you sit the actual exam. Grab an A+ book and read it cover-to-cover. If you feel that the content is too easy or fundamental, then a speed-read wouldn't hurt your chances. After you've studied, take your practice test (only once!). If you're weak in certain areas, go back to your book and study again and take your practice test again. Rinse and repeat. I try not to take a practice test more than once a week, because then I'll know that I'm retaining the information from the book and not simply the answers to a practice test. Good luck!
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Testout is kind of an all in one product. But like Earweed said, having multiple sources is always good because no single source is error free.

A friend of mine had the Testout for the old version of the test and was letting me play with it once. In a 100 question test they asked a question twice (about which SCSI ID has highest priority) and in one question it said highest was priority and the other said lowest was best. That really tarnished their reputation in my book and I never bought their software. But many on this forum have bought it, and used it with success.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    well its a program that has video's and interactive lessons. a example would be a video plays explaining and showing how to make a partition drive. Then they have you do it. I like the way it teaches because i remember better if i do it myself. i also have a A+ book at the house. I work at a IT helpdesk and have been working for about 5 months. But when i talk about the test with other employees that have taken the test, they ask me things that i feel testout does not cover. so i am wondering is if testout will cover enough for me to pass just with testout alone. I am getting the feeling it wont. so i will study with the book as well. thanks for the opinions guys, keep em coming.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello fellow people,
    i am new to the IT field and currently working on getting my a+ cert. exam 220-701 and 702. I am using testouts A+ program on the computer. Is this going to be all i need to learn and study to pass the exam? I just was wondering about program vs. book. I dont want to use my time on the program if it is not going to work for me to past the test because it wasnt enough information. will i be able to pass the exams solely from the teachings on testouts A+ program.

Here’s what I did to pass the test:
    • I read the Sybex book CompTIA A+ 2009: CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide: Exams 220-701 (Essentials) and 220-702 (Practical Application) - Book Information - Sybex
    • Then I read the Exam Cram book: Pearson IT Certification: CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Practice Questions Exam Cram:
    • I would take notes and make flash cards.
    • I built my own computer
    • I volunteered at free geek Free Geek
    • I used Lab Sim
    • Lab sim was great, but I think that actually touching the motherboard and memory modules, helped me better understand the concepts.
    • I took measure up tests for both 701 and 702
    • You can get a discount on lab sim if you’re a student.
    I thought lab sims covered everything you need to know and more. One thing you gotta remember is that the A+ has two different tests. The application ( 701) test and the hardware 702 test.
    The amount of time needed to study for the A+ all depends on experience. The more experience you have with the objectives, the higher you will score on the exam.
    Good Luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    well its a program that has video's and interactive lessons. a example would be a video plays explaining and showing how to make a partition drive. Then they have you do it. I like the way it teaches because i remember better if i do it myself.

Got it icon_thumright.gif
    But just to be on safe side, definitely use multiple sources. I failed my first exam (Network+) because I only used one book and thought that was sufficient. I learned the hard way that spending an extra $50 for another book is better than spending $250 to resit the exam :D
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    well thanks guys! my final plan of battle is to work with the testout till i finish it. then read the a+ book. dont know which one it is but it sure is big and comes with a cd. My boss also said he bought the cram book a cupple weeks ago and will let me use it
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Depends on your level of experience. Having been building my own desktop systems for the better part of 10 years and working a help desk i've found that i'm breezing through this stuff on Labsim. I also used their software for the Net+ exam and ended up breezing through that as well. As everyone says, multiple sources are the best bet. Unless of course you have experience in the field and just need a refresher on concepts you haven't used in a while.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    really liked cbt nuggets for n+ the instructor michael shannon is really good made the cbt nugget for security + too