Study Shows Some Android Apps Leak Data

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Study Shows Some Android Apps Leak User Data Without Clear Notifications | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

The latest data supports a study published in June by mobile security company SMobile Systems that found 20 percent of the then-available 48,000 third-party applications for the Android operating system provided sensitive or private information to outside sources
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The latest data supports a study published in June by mobile security company SMobile Systems that found 20 percent of the then-available 48,000 third-party applications for the Android operating system provided sensitive or private information to outside sources
    They didn't actually test 48000 apps. They just did an in theory random sampling and then just scaled it up so I'd take that 20% value with a pinch of salt the size of a salt mine. 20% is just a hand wave number to get PR and to cause panic.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not surprised at the findings, but much like tiersten pointed out - their sample size was somewhat limited. Realistically though, I pretty much assume that any free application I stick on my droid that's free probably collects data from my phone. Fortunately, the platform provides essentially all of the functionality I need from a mobile device (or care to perform on one) so additional app's aren't much of a worry for me. I have a couple that I use from time to time, maybe they are collecting numbers, my location, whatever - but I live a boring enough life they won't get much :)
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am not surprised either. It's confusing for the average consume especially the ones coming from the iPhone to check the warnings let alone apps that don't specifically say what it can access. A guy in my Guard unit had a problem with his wife's phone because one of her apps sent a bunch of premium texts without her consent. Verizon told him sorry but they could not reimburse/cancel the charges since she installed the third party app.