Options

Anyone worked overseas?

AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just graduated with a BS in CS, currently in the job hunt and not many opportunities around here. I always wanted to live in another country and was wondering if anyone has any experience/website. I'm currently single and this would be the perfect time for me to live overseas. icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to work in Gulf Area (Dubai for example) this website is a great source

Jobs in Dubai, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait | Search Job | Bayt.com

Living in Dubai is great but you need to make a lot of money to enjoy it more
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    za3bour wrote: »
    If you want to work in Gulf Area (Dubai for example) this website is a great source

Jobs in Dubai, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait | Search Job | Bayt.com

Living in Dubai is great but you need to make a lot of money to enjoy it more

I've always wanted to visit Dubai, seems like a wonderful place to live :D
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Xcluziv wrote: »

I didn't live there but I was there for a week, it's a great city almost got every thing you want or may want to have but you need a lot of cache there because it's super easy to spend it :D
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm currently working in Korea. Beautiful country, and a you'll find a lot of government jobs here. The dollar is still worth something here, so you should be fine, though I hear the cost of living itself is pretty high.
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    Amco wrote: »
    Just graduated with a BS in CS, currently in the job hunt and not many opportunities around here. I always wanted to live in another country and was wondering if anyone has any experience/website. I'm currently single and this would be the perfect time for me to live overseas. icon_cheers.gif

yeah dubai is an open country you can also try monster.com.sg for singapore jobs. just don't go in KSA man...
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Yes I was a contract Network Architect in Spain this year. Lived in Barcelona and designed/implemented a colocation Voice Gateway solution in Madrid and Barcelona, as well as migrated Spanish sites to VoIP and supported sites across Europe and Asia. An intense few months in my life but very rewarding.
  • Options

Its a shining place and costly. Certainly an experience. Although some migrants working there on the build projects are very underpaid and some endure conditions westerners wouldn't tolerate. You wouldn't be exposed to that directly if you landed an IT contract there, but you might see it.
  • Options
    yeah dubai is an open country you can also try monster.com.sg for singapore jobs. just don't go in KSA man...

Well it's hard to live in KSA but the pay is really good and it's very cheap to live then so you can save a lot. I might go there next year if I didn't find a better job here in Syria.
  • Options
    Well it's hard to live in KSA but the pay is really good and it's very cheap to live then so you can save a lot. I might go there next year if I didn't find a better job here in Syria.

I'm not sure if they really pay good...all I heard is people working there are underpaid. Don't get fooled by signing a contract with huge pay because they can change your contract anyway they want and it's legal by their Law. Got an offer recently and the interviewer said they have to change my civil status from married to single wtf is that? Don't sell freedom man. If you really want to.. I advice you do a research first.
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well the UAE MArket for IT is a bit saturated now ..( live experience ) ... but as for Singapore heard good things like the pay & the job available.
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    I'm not sure if they really pay good...all I heard is people working there are underpaid. Don't get fooled by signing a contract with huge pay because they can change your contract anyway they want and it's legal by their Law. Got an offer recently and the interviewer said they have to change my civil status from married to single wtf is that? Don't sell freedom man. If you really want to.. I advice you do a research first.

Well we have two different view for this for me the pay is good comparing to Syria but for you it's not good comparing to USA.

But what about changing your status ? man I've never heard about this it's awful why in the world they wanna change it???

Singapore is a good place to work for sure, my friend works there and he's enjoying it. I have another friend working in Japan but he hates it.

There is a lot of talk about Qatar they're saying it's the next Dubai and they're very ambitious there.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    <
    As you can see!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    <
    As you can see!

What do you think about living in Japan is it really like they show it in "Lost in Translation" ? :D
  • Options
    I love Japan I always have culture shock returning back to the US.

Some of it is like "Lost In Translation", the funny thing is how far behind Japan really is in technology compared to what TV shows (about 2 years from US). I live in a more remote region but even Tokyo & Kyoto are not as cutting edge as it is made out to be.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    Well we have two different view for this for me the pay is good comparing to Syria but for you it's not good comparing to USA.

But what about changing your status ? man I've never heard about this it's awful why in the world they wanna change it???

Singapore is a good place to work for sure, my friend works there and he's enjoying it. I have another friend working in Japan but he hates it.

There is a lot of talk about Qatar they're saying it's the next Dubai and they're very ambitious there.

Single means less beneficiary or 0 beneficiary at all. Yeah Qatar is also an open country. Kuwait is my other option now since they have already soften their labor law.
  • Options
    Single means less beneficiary or 0 beneficiary at all. Yeah Qatar is also an open country. Kuwait is my other option now since they have already soften their labor law.

True it will be affective next Year
  • Options
    Tato500Tato500 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UAE, KSA and Qatar are the best places for US and European citizens they are getting paid alot.

@ ladiesman217 no offense if you're from Philippines they treat you different than US and EU.

like I said before they treat US and EU so much better than any others. (life experience)

An Egyptian working as an accounting manager gets paid 6k/MO
    while an American Egyptian gets paid 14k/MO in the same company (less experience but with US degree), both are my real friends (they're cousins), That shows how differently they treat US citizens.
  • Options
    ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found this site with different jobs around the world with Robert Half International:

Robert Half International - Robert Half Recruiting: Global
  • Options
    Tato500 wrote: »
    UAE, KSA and Qatar are the best places for US and European citizens they are getting paid alot.

@ ladiesman217 no offense if you're from Philippines they treat you different than US and EU.

like I said before they treat US and EU so much better than any others. (life experience)

An Egyptian working as an accounting manager gets paid 6k/MO
    while an American Egyptian gets paid 14k/MO in the same company (less experience but with US degree), both are my real friends (they're cousins), That shows how differently they treat US citizens.

That's true in terms of salary and it clearly shows how racist they are. I heard that UAE consist of more foreign nationals than the locals and it's an open country unlike KSA. If you're implying that Americans get treated well in those countries specially KSA, I certainly doubt it. It's just not proper for me discuss this things in an IT board.

To the OP, I suggest you do a lot of reading before getting your self in a commitment since most of the contracts in the middle east won't allow you to go home until you finish the two year contract.
  • Options
    SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    I'm not sure that this is the sort of experience you're looking for, but I currently do IT work in... Iraq. icon_wink.gif Tons of money, few expenses, great benefits, rare danger. Also, it is a wee bit hot.
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've worked across the globe and turned down atleast 10 offers in dubai, qatar, sing, Johannesburg, bermuda, tokyo and a few others. the main reason is that housing is too expensive for my taste currently.

If you're single without responsibilities and you get a true expat salary with the allowances(much harder in 2010) you will live like a king in a "second/third world country". I spent years partying 6 hrs a night and still working 50-80 hr weeks. I've got a thousand horror stories and a million happy ones. Just make sure you really calculate what they're offering to what you'll need to live a similar lifestyle and then double that.

As for the M.E there is definately a class structure. Locals are the law period, then whites, then other expat professionals, and at the bottom indians and flips are basically field labour. Salaries also work in that order. You can go home at any time assuming you have no debt which is hard since rent for the year is/was expected in 1 or two payments. The market has cooled alot and i've heards friends say they're paying monthly now but make no mistake if you can't pay your bills you WILL go to jail. If you manage to not buy a car or get hooked into a rental loan you can get up and leave whenever you feel like. You'll be blacklisted in most M.E companies though and the bonus usually built in you'll lose but no big deal if you're homesick etc.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sabalo wrote: »
    I'm not sure that this is the sort of experience you're looking for, but I currently do IT work in... Iraq. icon_wink.gif Tons of money, few expenses, great benefits, rare danger. Also, it is a wee bit hot.

Are you in the armed forces or anything? This is assuming you're from America which I may be totally wrong about though.
  • Options
    jemisonjemison Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sabalo wrote: »

I totally agree. I too work in Iraq, and you can not beat the pay that you get here. I apologize if I repeated someone's quote, but once you are over here contracting, you will forever be in the loop with other upcoming contracts.
  • Options
    AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jemison wrote: »
    I totally agree. I too work in Iraq, and you can not beat the pay that you get here. I apologize if I repeated someone's quote, but once you are over here contracting, you will forever be in the loop with other upcoming contracts.

Any websites?
  • Options
    You typically need a clearance to work in those forms of jobs. Look at Security Clearance Jobs - ClearanceJobs.com
    Degrees:
  • Options
    jemisonjemison Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any websites?

There are many companies out there: Raytheon, ITT, DRS, ManTech, to name a few. But you will need a security clearance, I got a job immediately after I left the military because my clearance was still valid
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    jemison wrote: »
    There are many companies out there: Raytheon, ITT, DRS, ManTech, to name a few. But you will need a security clearance, I got a job immediately after I left the military because my clearance was still valid

ITT will get you a clearance if they need you bad enough. I actually got a security clearance through them. DRS is quite hard to get on with, but they pay pretty high. There are a ton of contractors working over there.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Yes I was a contract Network Architect in Spain this year. Lived in Barcelona and designed/implemented a colocation Voice Gateway solution in Madrid and Barcelona, as well as migrated Spanish sites to VoIP and supported sites across Europe and Asia. An intense few months in my life but very rewarding.

Seems like you gained alot of experience and learned a great deal in working abroad. I would evetually like to try that within the coming yearsicon_study.gif
    Turgon wrote:
    Its a shining place and costly. Certainly an experience. Although some migrants working there on the build projects are very underpaid and some endure conditions westerners wouldn't tolerate. You wouldn't be exposed to that directly if you landed an IT contract there, but you might see it.

Sounds very interesting...I heard Dubai was just a beautiful city to live in. What kind of conditions wouldn't some westereners tolerate if it such a nice place to stay. Surely the living condition have to accomadating to say the least icon_profileright.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Seems like you gained alot of experience and learned a great deal in working abroad. I would evetually like to try that within the coming yearsicon_study.gif

Sounds very interesting...I heard Dubai was just a beautiful city to live in. What kind of conditions wouldn't some westereners tolerate if it such a nice place to stay. Surely the living condition have to accomadating to say the least icon_profileright.gif

Depends what you are hired to do there. Fill your boots..

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Dark side of the Dubai dream
  • Options
    2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DRS is quite hard to get on with, but they pay pretty high.

I work for DRS stateside, anyone interested in their overseas gigs let me know.