CCSP relevance in general infosec

docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
I thought about putting this thread in the Cisco forums, but I decided to put it here since it's more in the context of the general security industry...

I'm planning another ambitious cert / exam-chasing schedule next year (weather permitting) and I'm entertaining the thought of rounding up both the CCNP and CCSP. That's seven exams right there. However, I'd also like to attempt the CWNA and CWSP along with either the GCIA and / or GAWN ... and perhaps the CISSP if my patience affords it.

I'm trying to bias my career more in vendor-neutral security rather than weigh too heavily on Cisco's approach (although admittedly there are quite a few Cisco shops out there to somewhat justify it). Would it make sense to just attain the CCNP to get the core networking foundation or would a CCSP add significant credibility within the infosec sphere of influence? The reason I ask is because I don't hear much talk from security professionals about the CCSP. I'm under the impression it's "just another Cisco title" with somewhat less respect in the larger infosec picture.

I'd like to at least attempt the CCSP SECURE and FIREWALL exams just because I own an ASA plus other Cisco gear and it makes sense to know what my equipment is capable of (plus I run a PIX at work). The IPS and VPN exams seem less critical for my immediate line of work, however.

Then there's the other Cisco angle that's enticing from an alphabet-soup perspective - if I get the CCNP, then I'm just two more exams from the CCDP as well. That's a little less important, but it would seem a design track would also help my skill set.

Opinions?
Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    docrice wrote: »
    I'd like to at least attempt the CCSP SECURE and FIREWALL exams just because I own an ASA plus other Cisco gear and it makes sense to know what my equipment is capable of (plus I run a PIX at work). The IPS and VPN exams seem less critical for my immediate line of work, however.

Opinions?

My opinion is that the CCSP is valuable in its niche. I have looked at jobs and of the pro levels, CCIP and CCSP get the least amount of hits in my area. CCNP, CCVP and (for some reason) CCDP seem to be pretty popular. I want to take SECURE next year. Apparently the difference between the pix and the asa isn't that huge.

Now keep in mind that the new CCSP will be CCNP:Security so IMO that will help with name recognition.