Going to start my CCNA studies, but I have a lab question

howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
I have 3 or 4 2500s
a 2900 switch
3 1900 switches.

I'm trying to build a lab, and have little idea if I can use any of this equipment, and probably adding a few pieces, to save myself some bucks.

I've heard that the 2500s are almost useless, as I need to have experience with 12.x in order to pass the CCNA, and that the 2500s don't run on 12.x

Any advice is appreciated, in what I could add, to have as affordable set-up as possible.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've barely started my CCNA studies but I have been cruising the Cisco forums for advice on what lab equipment is good. The one thing I noticed right off the bat were your 1900's and all I have to say is most comments about them are not good. Several people have made funny references to them such as they would be good for boat anchors. I've heard it's a good idea to have a couple 2950 switches.
    I've also heard that if money is limited you can get the necessary switches and use GNS3 for the routers and save some money that way.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    earweed wrote: »
    I've barely started my CCNA studies but I have been cruising the Cisco forums for advice on what lab equipment is good. The one thing I noticed right off the bat were your 1900's and all I have to say is most comments about them are not good. Several people have made funny references to them such as they would be good for boat anchors. I've heard it's a good idea to have a couple 2950 switches.
    I've also heard that if money is limited you can get the necessary switches and use GNS3 for the routers and save some money that way.

Yeah, I've been putting off studying for my CCNA for a few years, and the stuff has been sitting in my basement. Buying a full kit from someone would probably be easiest, but trying to see if i can salvage any of what I have. I plan to shoot for either CCSP or CCNP next, but I've gotta walk before I run.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're planning to keep going for the CCNP don't waste your money. Do some research and get stuff that'll do thye job for the long run. Cruise these forums for advice as there are a lot of really knowledgable Cisco people here who will be glad to help.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A 1721 (desk mount router) supports SDM and Router-on-a-Stick -- but make sure it comes with the power brick and max memory (for around $50-60).

Definitely add at least 1 2950 switch -- if you bid patiently you may get a $25-30 deal.

You can use 2 2501s to create a 4 port compound frame relay switch for a hub and 2 spoke router configuration (unless one of the 2500s you have is a 252x model).

You'll want to see which IOS feature sets (and memory) you have on those 2500s. With the max 16Meg DRAM and 16Meg Flash you can either run a 12.2 Enterprise or a 12.3 IP Plus IOS -- either will work for the CCNA. Having Crypto support is a plus -- but you can do the SSH login tasks on a 2950 switch (with the crypto image) the same way you'd them on the routers.

Edit: You want the 1721 with MAX memory AND a good 12.4 or 12.4T IOS image and the biggest/baddest feature set available for that version (the 12.4T lets you do the Zone Based Firewalls for the CCNA:Security). The 1700 IOS is supported by Dynamips (and the Dynagen/GNS3 front ends).

You can get the 12.4 Advanced Enterprise Services or the 12.4T Advanced IP Services (which includes the Advanced Security and features like ZBF with the proper version).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Since you asked, most 2500's can run 12.3 if maxed out, so they still remain a good buy. Just make sure you add some modern routers that can go beyond 12.3

One 1900 can be cool as a way to check out an interesting piece of Cisco history, but 3 of them is way too many.

2900's are OK as secondary switches, use a 2950 or better if you want something close to the modern commands.
    Thanks for all the advice. I'd much rather lab at home. If I'm forced to figure out the answers on my own, instead of asking a classmate or teacher, I'll get a lot more out of my studies.
  • PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    Dont even bother with the 1900's, and in hindsight I should have not bought 6 routers and 8 switches.....

I should have spent the money on a single 831, 2 2950's, 1 3550 emi, 175x with maxed mem or 26xx XM with max mem. most of my routers max at 12.2-3 and my 2900xls get me about 80% there but what I should have done is just wait and purchase the more expensive equipment when i could rather than a bunch of stuff that is just ok.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Depending on your financial situation i'd recommend just buying a few 2950s or 3550s (depending on your goals/plans) and maybe one or two 2600XM routers and then virtualize everything from there with dynagen. It'll save you money and its a lot more flexible just to virtualize. If you live some where where its artic-cold, disregard this. The heat these things put off would probably actually reduce your heating bill.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Out of curiosity, why do you need two switches for the CCNA? I own one 1950, and I'm wondering if I need to buy another. How much memory should it have?
    VTP Domains and other vlan related stuff, mostly.

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    why do you need two switches for the CCNA?
    You'd actually want 3 switches. With 3 switches you can configured one switch as a VTP Server, one as a VTP Client, and the one in the middle as Transparent mode.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You'd actually want 3 switches. With 3 switches you can configured one switch as a VTP Server, one as a VTP Client, and the one in the middle as Transparent mode.

So I really should get two more 2950s?

Buying Cisco hardware is strangely addicting actually icon_redface.gif
    So I really should get two more 3500s?

Buying Cisco hardware is strangely addicting actually icon_redface.gif

Totally addicting, I have way to much equipment now and i'm still looking for WIC cards NM's and adding some layer 3 switches and a couple XM routers lol.
    WICs are for adding more ports or Voice modules onto routers, correct?

Sorry for stealing your thread Howie.
    Yeah, WICs are for adding additional interfaces or some form of functionality to the router. they're pretty expensive for a home lab, which is why all of my routers are empty and i try to advocate for dynagen :)

Wics can get pretty pricey...for a frame lab

a WIC 2 a/s is around $30-35 per unit and around $9 for a big DB60 to small WIC 2 DCE/DTE cable

you would need a couple of those, preferably 3 (1 per router) and then a separate router running either 2 WIC 2 a/s's for 4 total serial/frame connections or a single 4nm-as which is anywhere from $45 - 80 depending on the time of day
    WICs are for adding more ports or Voice modules onto routers, correct?

Sorry for stealing your thread Howie.

No biggie. Believe me, I'm learning from all the posts.