Options

ADT - Scaring up customers

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I personally find that very creative and thought provoking, though not in the way they might have intended. If it had happened to me, I would immediately have gone to the porteiro, every apartment like that has one, and asked why these people had been let in and I would call ADT and let them know I would never use a company that blatently attempted to manipulate me into using their product in this way.

But secretly I would admire the advertising firm for their creativity.... That's actually pretty cool.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I personally find that very creative and thought provoking, though not in the way they might have intended. If it had happened to me, I would immediately have gone to the porteiro, every apartment like that has one, and asked why these people had been let in and I would call ADT and let them know I would never use a company that blatently attempted to manipulate me into using their product in this way.

But secretly I would admire the advertising firm for their creativity.... That's actually pretty cool.

Agreed. I just can't stand the idea of scaring someone into something. Makes me angry.
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I had ADT for a few years. I thought all was well until I tested it one day. I armed it, waited outside, then intentionally set it off. No lie, it took 10 minutes for somebody to get on the intercom. I was ****** and called to complain.

I called and got the run around. I was told I was "testing it wrong". I argued that this is a real world scenario, it's the best way to test. They told me I should have called first and tested the system with their technician.

Needless to say, I cancelled. I'm PAYING my $1000 early termination fee because I don't feel safe with their crappy service. I've since switched to another security provider that is much more reliable and has better features (APX alarm).

Cancelling service with these people is a pain as well. You call ADT and think they'll be able to help, but tell you your contract is with the company that sold it to you. You keep getting the run around.

If I were anybody, I'd stay clear of ADT. They're a predatory company with pushy salesman that sell a crappy service.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have been with ADT for almost a year now. Kept putting it off signing up for it. When my son was in the hospital for two weeks somebody broke into our house when I was at the hospital with my son and my wife was at work. Happened during the day time, thieves probably figured everyone at work in our neighborhood best time to steal stuff.

So I signed up AFTER my house was broken into lol. But anyways not sure what response your supposed to get if your testing it yourself. When somebody came to explain the system to us they said some areas have so many false alarms the police refuse to come so those are the areas where ADT has to hire their own security people to check your house. The audible alarm is what is supposed to scare the burglar away from your house.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    I called and got the run around. I was told I was "testing it wrong". I argued that this is a real world scenario, it's the best way to test. They told me I should have called first and tested the system with their technician.

If I were anybody, I'd stay clear of ADT. They're a predatory company with pushy salesman that sell a crappy service.
    Sounds like you should have grounds not to even pay for cancellation. Does a thief call in prior to breaking in to confirm he's not "testing the alarm"? The noise is supposed to scare off the thief and you can't count on any contact from ADT at all after an alarm? Sounds like a good case for putting in your own alarm system without the ADT or any other service if ADT themselves claim that the alarm is all that really matters.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The alarm bell/siren on the side of a house is useless and isn't a deterrant at all. The most you'll get is complaints from your neighbours that your alarm is disturbing them. Just think about how many times you've heard an alarm in your neighbourhood and how much you've done about it.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I get the messages from ADT on our home phone....all the time. We have Broadview now, they are not bad. They have a way to hook up the system to your cell phone, so you can ditch the landline if you are using it.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Broadview merged with ADT. I got the cell option offered to me but was not sure how well it would work. I never hear house alarms in my neighborhood. Unless your talking about car alarms. I am not sure about thieves sticking around with a pretty loud alarm going off. I can't be in the house when they test the system.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That is very funny, and also highly unethical, in my opinion. I want to say it is illegal, but I can't think of any law that it would be violating.

To me, this is no different than calling their house and threatening them that you are going to burglarize their house, and that would be a crime.
    Decide what to be and go be it.