Options

Anyone on Twitter?

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Anyone here use Twitter for work or just personal use?

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have always been a very anti twitter person (I have facebook for personal friends and linkedin for professional friends, and I don't care that you just ate a sandwich). But recently I have considered joining for professional reasons to follow some people/groups. I can't bring myself to do it though.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I wouldn't hold my breath while looking for regular social media users here NightShade. You may find some exceptions but it seems generally our crowd at TechExams doesn't have high opinion on social media, me included.
  • Options
    electricityelectricity Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's another one of those threads that will go on and on for pages without any useful info. I dont post on here regularly but am a lurker, but I cant help but notice that nowadays the TE forums are turning into mere discussion boards. A year to a couple of years ago, or even some months ago, there used to be a fair bit of useful info. Now it's just quite full of people discussing high school-level stuff.

The Microsoft forums used to have a lot of threads with people asking questions, such as how DNS works, how certificates work in AD, you know, techie stuff. These days people just post whether they passed/failed and little else.

I had hoped that the TE forums wouldnt turn into what most other forums are - just message boards - or Twitter boards. But sadly, that's where this is heading. No wonder, we have been steadily losing valuable members, HeroPsycho is probably the most notable one, royal is another.

Ah well...
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Most of the networking community (the top level guys, and some of the guys who wrote the books everyone here worships) are on there, so I make a point of following as many of these people as possible to absorb what I can.

End of the day, its only a website, you make it useful for you.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    @varelg - I agree that I can't see many social media users, but I can see it being value for work related purposes.

@electricity - I think that each member here gets back exactly what they put into the site. Every board is going to have pointless chatter about things, but when it comes down to it I know plenty of people on here that can offer solid advise on questions. Either way you are entitled to your opinion.

Personally I only use Twitter for professional feeds...I follow alot of the security guys in the industry which helps because I tend to find out things faster than most when they are happening icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    @electricity - I think that each member here gets back exactly what they put into the site. Every board is going to have pointless chatter about things, but when it comes down to it I know plenty of people on here that can offer solid advise on questions. Either way you are entitled to your opinion.

To add to that, we are here to network. Over the past month or two I have seen 2 jobs posted on this forum by memebers. I don't know if any members got the job, but that could be considered "idle chat" because it isn't directly related to a technology.

I completely agree with the you get back what you put into it statement. Don't complain that not enough questions are being asked or questions are being answered if you aren't asking and answering them as well.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do use it but I am sure you already know that lol
  • Options
    I do use it but I am sure you already know that lol

No idea what you are talking about icon_wink.gif hehe
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use it to post when I pass exams haha.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I follow some SQL demigods/goddesses on it. Has been very informative, though usually it is more social. I have found out about ad hoc free web cast trainings, etc.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I had hoped that the TE forums wouldnt turn into what most other forums are - just message boards - or Twitter boards. But sadly, that's where this is heading. No wonder, we have been steadily losing valuable members, HeroPsycho is probably the most notable one, royal is another.

Ah well...

Did you read what you posted? You have 12 posts and somehow feel that the people that contribute to the content of the board have let you down. Your comments are uncalled for don't you think. If you want enhanced content then contribute to it. This is after all the general Off-Topic section of TE. This is a collaboration of the members that contribute, so what topic would you like to contribute to that you do not find frivolous.

Sorry but while I do not have a problem with lurkers, I do have a problem with denigration of other members by them. TE is not supposed to be a free movie theater.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been trying to force myself to use it since all the cool hip kids are doing it now. Still more of a Facebook guy myself.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I refuse to use twitter. I mean, I do have an account, I used it to beg Dixie Carter to change the direction of the TNA Knockouts division... but thats it.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    TheShadow wrote: »
    This is after all the general Off-Topic section of TE. .

+1

anyhow, I used to have Facebook, but all I did was look for broads on there, so when I got serious with my lady, I got rid of it, same for myspace, etc...

but I kept twitter... but all I do is follow Howard Stern people and ask them dumb questions, but I get crazy excited if one of them writes me back
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've been known to dabble with Twitter. . . among a few other social networks. Usually I use Twitter to auto-update Facebook, LinkedIn, etc., so it looks like I'm a lot more active than I really am. It's very handy. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I have always been a very anti twitter person (I have facebook for personal friends and linkedin for professional friends, and I don't care that you just ate a sandwich). But recently I have considered joining for professional reasons to follow some people/groups. I can't bring myself to do it though.

My thoughts exactly...
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I've been known to dabble with Twitter. . . among a few other social networks. Usually I use Twitter to auto-update Facebook, LinkedIn, etc., so it looks like I'm a lot more active than I really am. It's very handy. icon_lol.gif

This guys facebook is epic. Highly recommended lolicon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Here's another one of those threads that will go on and on for pages without any useful info. I dont post on here regularly but am a lurker, but I cant help but notice that nowadays the TE forums are turning into mere discussion boards. A year to a couple of years ago, or even some months ago, there used to be a fair bit of useful info. Now it's just quite full of people discussing high school-level stuff.

The Microsoft forums used to have a lot of threads with people asking questions, such as how DNS works, how certificates work in AD, you know, techie stuff. These days people just post whether they passed/failed and little else.

Ah well...

I agree this site has changes a lot. Whether it has changed for better or worse is up to opinion I guess. There is definitely a lot less tech talk then there used to be it seems which has thrown me off lately.

As far as Twitter, I find it pretty useless. I tried following some tech people a while back to see if it was worth it. I really don't care what these people are doing every ten minutes though. Some of the stuff had good info but the vast majority was useless personal crap.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    I like Twitter. I tweet interesting articles I find. My theory is it would help make me look busy and involved for my job search.

I have doubts that anyone is Googling for my name, however.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    ssampier wrote: »
    I have doubts that anyone is Googling for my name, however.

You would be surprised. My gf was reading a cosmo magazine and from one of their polls she was telling me that something like 75% of women google a guy prior to their first date.

I'm sure that some employers will do it too before they bring you in for an interview.
  • Options
    SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    So I guess I'm one of the few dissenters on social media. icon_wink.gif

Yes, I use Twitter. I don't add co-workers to Twitter as a rule, as that's what I use to communicate with my friends on an ad-hoc, unfiltered basis. I find it fun, I find it useful... and like any good technology, I find that it works well for my purposes.

Facebook? Sure. I use that to communicate with friendly co-workers and family.

LinkedIn? I have one, good for professional contact.

Myspace? Didn't they delete that years ago?
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am. Everyone should follow me :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I am. Everyone should follow me :)

Right there is just another reason not to be on Twitter.icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    LMBO....

I'm on there too...

@basicallyjah
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options

I was going to admit to following him but after that I'm not sure I can icon_wink.gif

Anyone that wants to I am on too @NightShade003
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Ah well...

I'm going to reply to this in a new thread as there is some merit in your comment, but if I reply here then it will further de-rail from the OP questinon.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/58854-content-thread-electricity-post.html#post458987
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    You would be surprised. My gf was reading a cosmo magazine and from one of their polls she was telling me that something like 75% of women google a guy prior to their first date.

I'm sure that some employers will do it too before they bring you in for an interview.

I was asked in one interview if I am familiar with social networking. I indicated that I am active Twitterer.

I lost out to the guy with more experience (especially with configuring Nagios). I hate when that happens.icon_lol.gif

As for dating, if she does that, I'm doomed, unless she likes nerdy guys. Women like nerdy guys, right?
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    I was asked in one interview if I am familiar with social networking. I indicated that I am active Twitterer.

A friend of mine was applying for a government job and was not only asked about social sites, but also had to provide user names to that they could investigate as part of her background check.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□

don't be a hater, I need as many followers as possible. So that I can say I have more than Dynamik mostly.
    A friend of mine was applying for a government job and was not only asked about social sites, but also had to provide user names to that they could investigate as part of her background check.

That's retarded. Anyone worth their salt would just make a bunch of dummy accounts to respond to that question. A legit employer would find the social networking sites without having to ask ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Paul Boz wrote: »

That's retarded. Anyone worth their salt would just make a bunch of dummy accounts to respond to that question. A legit employer would find the social networking sites without having to ask ;)

I agree. Anyone doing a background check should have a plethra of tools already available that they could probably tell you about ALL the acoounts you have and the ones you have forgotten.

And Paul, I'd follow you on Twitter just to help your follower base (and beat Dynamik) but I really cannot bring myself to signup for an account, sorry ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?