Options

Putty Xmodem

BBradley2009BBradley2009 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm putting a new image on a switch and don't have access to Hyperterminal pay to use emulators. I'm using Putty and I'm not finding any Xmodem options with it. I know the other emulator that is popular is TeraTerm but when I go to the site to download it hasn't been updated since 1999??

Any suggestions on free emulator that supports xmodem?

Thx

Bb
Student for CCENT/CCNA Future is a mystery to us all. Maybe someday CISSP

Comments

• Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    I'm putting a new image on a switch and don't have access to Hyperterminal pay to use emulators. I'm using Putty and I'm not finding any Xmodem options with it. I know the other emulator that is popular is TeraTerm but when I go to the site to download it hasn't been updated since 1999??

Any suggestions on free emulator that supports xmodem?

Thx

Bb

I just did this over the weekend also, and I was not able to figure out how to do it with putty either, I ended up getting out an OLD laptop that has XP on it to use HyperTerminal.

My reason for saying this was that while doing that, I was wondering what I might do later when I dont have that laptop anymore, I was thinking I might use Virtual XP mode under Win7 next time, I have not done this yet but its just a thought.
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    There are some free terminal programs out there that will do xmodem transfers, you just have to find them...beats looking around for hyperterminal.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    The last time I accidentally blew away the IOS on an old switch and had to use xmodem, I just used Hyperterminal with WinXP. Does Windows 7 not have Hyperterminal? I've never seen it but was thinking about upgrading.
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    wbosher wrote: »
    The last time I accidentally blew away the IOS on an old switch and had to use xmodem, I just used Hyperterminal with WinXP. Does Windows 7 not have Hyperterminal? I've never seen it but was thinking about upgrading.

Nope, Win7 does NOT have HyperTerminal, but you can install Microsoft Virtual Machine w/ Win XP Pro (free Download from MS) that does have it.

There of course are some basic hardware requirements, but pretty much if you have any dual core processor, you will be able to setup a basic XP Pro Virtual Box easily.

I have it running on several machines with no problems, the lowest machine its on is a Pentium 4 Dual Core and it runs just fine.
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    BBradley2009BBradley2009 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did find the newest site for TeraTerm and it does support XModem as well as ZModem. I also found a good article that says you can install Hyperterminal on WIN 7 if you have the XP disks.

All you need is the .dll file and .exe file from Hyperterminal and it will run on WIN 7.

Thanks for all the reply's!

HyperTerminal Alternatives for Windows 7
    Student for CCENT/CCNA Future is a mystery to us all. Maybe someday CISSP
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    TeraTerm is all I use for both Cisco and for Linux. East to install and use.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    ausssiausssi Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

TeraTerm is my tool of choice.
    When sending files, sometimes the xmodem (File-Transfer-XModem-Send...) feature will not send, and in sending a new image to a 3550 found every error under the sun.!!! Eventually (2am) I downloaded the image again, changed the speed to 9600 and let it go.... all good in the morning!

Benefit of Teraterm is that it allows you just to browse to the image file so it can be on a USB or the local drive.

On linux, I use minicom... worked for my 2950's but not for the 3550(?)! Minicom takes a bit more setup. I have two minicom profiles setup so when I change the BAUD rate, I can use a different profile without altering my usual Console connection settings.

icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    ugh this is painful. These 3550 don't support auto-mdix so I cant use a straight-thru so xmodem it is....and I don't have a crossover cable long enough. icon_sad.gif

gosh and I thought dial up was slow 10 years ago....

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could always just have it pull from a TFTP server as well. It's a lot quicker. Solarwinds has a good one. You can install it on your computer and as long as the switch is connected to the lan and configured properly, it takes about 5 minutes to transfer an image.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    prdemonprdemon Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    this is so annoying. I can ping my 3550 from my PC @ 192.225.225.15 but I can't ping my PC @ 192.225.225.5. However the kicker, I can ping the gateway my Sonicwall of 192.225.225.1 from the switch and the TP-link L3 switch @ 192.225.225.8 just not my PC.

It's not my nic cause I can telnet into my TP-link and 2950 via ethernet perfectly fine. I'm frazzled by this... below are some pics maybe you guys can make of this...

PC can ping switch...

Switch can't ping PC:

Config of 3550:

• Options
    Deathmage,

Let's see the full config of your L3 switch. I want to also know the subnet masks of your pc and switch and gateway.

Also, is your Sonicwall a router?
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Deathmage,

Let's see the full config of your L3 switch. I want to also know the subnet masks of your pc and switch and gateway.

Also, is your Sonicwall a router?

The mask is 255.255.255.224 on all of them. Sonicwall is firewall in front of isp modem.
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could always just have it pull from a TFTP server as well. It's a lot quicker. Solarwinds has a good one. You can install it on your computer and as long as the switch is connected to the lan and configured properly, it takes about 5 minutes to transfer an image.

This x1000. Just setup your computer as a tftp server (I use tftpd32). Configure the ip/gateway/subnet on the switch/router and let the magic happen.

I've always used SecureCRT. Just got used to it, so of course it's my terminal of choice.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    Deathmage, is IP routing enabled on your L3 switch?
  • Options
    It's just I have no problem upload the image to the 2950's, 2600's, and 1721 Over ethrrnet. Just this 3550. It has the SMI image on it now. Want to go to EMI.
  • Options
    Routing should be. I'm at work. The lab is at home. I'm pretty sure i enabled it. Will check it tonight and provide full config tonight.
  • Options
    I might just hook up the 3550 to a 5 port prose net gear switch and plug my computer into that....see if that works.

I was tired last night and probably overlooked something. .
  • Options
    [moved to it's own thread]