Options

New 6506... no copper

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Hey techies-extraordinaire...

Need help with a simple (I hope) issue. Just landed a pair of 6506's that will replace our existing 4500 cores. The new 6500's have nothing but 10Gig fiber modules... no copper to speak of.

Anyway, I took them out of their wrappings and powered them up in our lab. I'd like to take the IOS to the latest when I realized that I won't have a 3750-X attached to them for prolly 10 days or so, and I'd really like to get the IOS updated long before then. And at 133Mb, xmodem is not an option.

I tried the only copper port on the sup (720)... created a "management" vlan; created an "int vlan", gave it an IP, no shut... then turned the port into a switchport, assigned to the management vlan. I can ping my laptop from the 6500, and the 6500 from my laptop. However, no joy doing the tftp transfer.

Anyway, I'm curious if any else has tried what I've just described. Can the copper port on the sup be used for this? or do I have to hook up a switch to get this accomplished?

Thanks kindly,
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The port on the Sup should work fine. Does the 6500 have route to the TFTP server? If you have the TFTP server on your laptop make sure you don't have a firewall etc blocking it. Also try to see if there is a log you can watch to see if the request gets there.

I'd just take the disk out and pop the IOS on that personally to save you some time if you have another router.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikearama wrote: »
    Hey techies-extraordinaire...

Need help with a simple (I hope) issue. Just landed a pair of 6506's that will replace our existing 4500 cores. The new 6500's have nothing but 10Gig fiber modules... no copper to speak of.

Anyway, I took them out of their wrappings and powered them up in our lab. I'd like to take the IOS to the latest when I realized that I won't have a 3750-X attached to them for prolly 10 days or so, and I'd really like to get the IOS updated long before then. And at 133Mb, xmodem is not an option.

I tried the only copper port on the sup (720)... created a "management" vlan; created an "int vlan", gave it an IP, no shut... then turned the port into a switchport, assigned to the management vlan. I can ping my laptop from the 6500, and the 6500 from my laptop. However, no joy doing the tftp transfer.

Anyway, I'm curious if any else has tried what I've just described. Can the copper port on the sup be used for this? or do I have to hook up a switch to get this accomplished?

Thanks kindly,
    Mike

I'll take the 10Gig line cards and xen-pak's off your hands. icon_lol.gif

What error are you getting with the tftp transfer?
  • Options
    The port on the Sup should work fine. Does the 6500 have route to the TFTP server? If you have the TFTP server on your laptop make sure you don't have a firewall etc blocking it. Also try to see if there is a log you can watch to see if the request gets there.

I'd just take the disk out and pop the IOS on that personally to save you some time if you have another router.

I like to use tftpd32... I think it's a Solarwinds tftp server/client. Anyway, it works for me on all of our devices, so far.

When I first used tftpd with the 6500, I had to allow the hole in XP's firewall, so that's out of the way.

And I directly connected my laptop to the port... no gateways, no firewalls.

The 6500's come with 1Gb onboard flash, but no removeable flash (bit of an oversight there, I think). I think I'll snag the flash from another router and try the transfer that way.

DPG... the error is a Timeout.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What type of Sup? I'm guessing its an issue with your TFTP server though. We use the ports on the Sup without issue on 32s and 720s. Maybe its your VLAN set up? Have you tried making it a routed port? If you can find a CF card it will make your life easier though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    It's a 720.

The vlan setup is basic, and as I mentioned, icmp connectivity is good. So yeah, I tend to agree re: my tftp server. I'll find another and see what happens.

• Options
    brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    You should try FTP as well with an image that big. Most TFTP server will fail for images over 32Mb.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    tftpd32 has a log that will show you right away if the 6500 is even hitting the server...if its not, its a network thing most likely. if it is, it's probably a tftp thing.
  • Options
    Interesting, this one.

So, I have tftpd32 and the Solarwinds tftp server installed. For the first time ever, I had a conflict between them, and the UDP 69 port wasn't listening. When I uninstalled the Solarwinds version, tftpd32 worked, and I could see the connection.

However, it would not transfer the 113Mb file, as broc noted. I did some digging, and was about to install FileZilla, when our voice guy suggested the WinAgent tftp server. I installed the trial, and it banged out the transfer in under a minute.

Amazing when the small stuff baffles you, eh?

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had the same problem one time and had to switch servers to get it to work

Solarwinds here also but I never had a problem with a limit on file size for TFTP

Good thing to keep in mind as it is an old protocol and there may be a limit there somewhere

Funny title for a thread though my friend

It says no copper but then you said you have copper on one port

And it might help if you got yourself some fiber cable

Although if it's the first fiber optic Cisco in your network I guess you'd have no way to a make a connection

Cool thread