Options

Programming in Visual Basic 2008, anybody have experience with this book?

mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, hope everybody is doing well.

I have a Visual Basic class coming up (two actually) and the book for the classes is "Programming in Visual Basic 2008". Does anybody have any experience with this book? I've read some mixed reviews, some saying it's "the wrong way to learn VB" and others saying there are multiple errors in the book.

I am new to programming as well and there seem to be concerns that the subject matter is to jumpy and not detailed enough for the beginner. Just curious if anybody has any thoughts on it. I have no choice but to take the classes but would still like to know more about the book. Am I just paranoid?
"Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've found that teachers will often have the schools buy a book that they're either familiar with or one from the favored publisher of said school. Looking at the Amazon reviews for that book, I can't say I'm all too thrilled about it.

It's been a while since I did any coding in VB, but I've always been quite fond of the WROX series of books, as well as the Microsoft Step by Step books. Both books give some great examples, particularly the WROX book, and either one might be a good supplement to your class, in addition to the required textbook.

Looking forward, you can also think about picking up some "recipe" books, like this one from Apress, which give you some more complex projects to work on to help build up your understanding of the language.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Slowhand. I'll look into those books as a supplement to go along with my assignments. I appreciate your timeicon_thumright.gif
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"