Options

Security+ Effort Required Question

genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
Hey guys,

So I've been putting Security+ off for awhile now because my employer purchased 10 Microsoft vouchers for me and I wanted to finish out my MCSA: M, MCITP:EA & MCSE: S. I have the MCSE obviously plus I have 70-299 & 70-298 done. I want to get Security+ out of the way before the end of the year so I won't have to renew but I really don't want to stop my Microsoft studies (MCITP: Virtualization Admin I'm thinking) as I still have 4 vouchers left to use.

So my question is, how much effort do y'all think I need to put into Security+ to pass? Honestly, I think I could probably pass the exam today if I had to, albeit with a low score. I've read most of the Sybex book and watched a couple CBTNuggets videos on it and most of the technical concepts I've mastered through my other studies. It's the Security+centric stuff that I need to memorize/understand.

What would be the most important areas to study in order to pass the exam? I understand and use the technical security concepts at work (PKI/IPSec/Security Templates) so please don't think I'm just trying to get a paper cert. Studying for the Security+ isn't going to help me that much in my career so my motivation here is in the fact that it gives me two new certifications. :)

Thoughts?
1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    genXrcist wrote: »
    What would be the most important areas to study in order to pass the exam? I understand and use the technical security concepts at work (PKI/IPSec/Security Templates) so please don't think I'm just trying to get a paper cert. Studying for the Security+ isn't going to help me that much in my career so my motivation here is in the fact that it gives me two new certifications. :)

Thoughts?

Relax and breathe.....

Many people have passed with just the Sybex book (it's not bad, I used a couple of pages for the crypto section), but you know the preferred study guide...lol. Cryptography is something you definitely want to know. You have to know the difference between asymmetric/symmetric encryption and the different types of each, hashing and those algorithms,
    the well known ports (see that new thread about Common Ports)...

Take the practice exam on the comptia site. (It's based on MeasureUp). If you get a high enough score on that, consider yourself ready.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If your looking for a good book, that covers all of the content, and reads quickly, then pick up Darril's book. $30 for the physical book or $10 for the kindle. I'ts like 400 pages of large font reading. You could get through it in about a week with moderate reading.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Relax and breathe.....

Many people have passed with just the Sybex book (it's not bad, I used a couple of pages for the crypto section), but you know the preferred study guide...lol. Cryptography is something you definitely want to know. You have to know the difference between asymmetric/symmetric encryption and the different types of each, hashing and those algorithms,
    the well known ports (see that new thread about Common Ports)...

Take the practice exam on the comptia site. (It's based on MeasureUp). If you get a high enough score on that, consider yourself ready.

Thanks for the tip on CompTIA's website. It's been awhile since I took the Net+ exam and I don't remember if they had this option two years ago. :)

Anyway, took their practice test in 10 minutes and passed with an 80%.

Overall Score (All Objectives) Overall Score (All Objectives)
    80% (24/30)

Passing Score
    80% (24/30)

Systems Security
    100% (5/5)

Network Infrastructure
    100% (5/5)

Access Control
    80% (4/5)

Assessments & Audits
    60% (3/5)

Cryptography
    40% (2/5)

Organizational Security
    100% (5/5)

I'll review the cryptography chapter I think and just go take the test as soon as getcertify4less.com comes out with an early expiry certificate. :) Thanks a million!
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    If your looking for a good book, that covers all of the content, and reads quickly, then pick up Darril's book. $30 for the physical book or $10 for the kindle. I'ts like 400 pages of large font reading. You could get through it in about a week with moderate reading.

I appreciate the tip but with the Sybex book and CBTNuggets I hate to spend more money for prep. I've read the reviews on the book and at $10 on the PC version of Kindle it's a good deal but even so, I don't really need it. :)

Thanks for the tip though!
  • Options
    "Ask and ye shall receive..."

I was just on getcertify4less.com yesterday and there were no early expiry vouchers for Sec+ but lo and behold, there was one today. Grabbed it for $190 with an expiration date of Oct. 13th. :)

A week is more than enough time! Thanks again!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luick man you're ready for this.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I've read the reviews on the book and at $10 on the PC version of Kindle it's a good deal but even so, I don't really need it. :)

Thanks for the tip though!

That was why I didn't push it when I saw you had the Sybex book (but was definitely going to make a light reference). :D
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip on CompTIA's website. It's been awhile since I took the Net+ exam and I don't remember if they had this option two years ago. :)

Anyway, took their practice test in 10 minutes and passed with an 80%.

Overall Score (All Objectives) Overall Score (All Objectives)
    80% (24/30)

Passing Score
    80% (24/30)

Systems Security
    100% (5/5)

Network Infrastructure
    100% (5/5)

Access Control
    80% (4/5)

Assessments & Audits
    60% (3/5)

Cryptography
    40% (2/5)

Organizational Security
    100% (5/5)

I'll review the cryptography chapter I think and just go take the test as soon as getcertify4less.com comes out with an early expiry certificate. :) Thanks a million!

You are probably good then. I got 67% on that test like 2 days before my exam and still got an 830 or something on the real thing.

Good luck
  • Options

I was just on getcertify4less.com yesterday and there were no early expiry vouchers for Sec+ but lo and behold, there was one today. Grabbed it for $190 with an expiration date of Oct. 13th. :)

You got this. 'Nuff said.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I think everyone scores low in cryptography. I am still struggling with it.
  • Options
    Scheduled for Tuesday, Oct 12th @ 0800 CST (-6)!!!
  • Options

Good luck
  • Options
    Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108

Word of advice; don't be thrown off by the wording. For this one in particular the questions were almost trying to be as vague as possible.
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • Options
    Unforg1ven wrote: »
    Word of advice; don't be thrown off by the wording. For this one in particular the questions were almost trying to be as vague as possible.

+1, no matter how "easy" you think the question is, R-E-A-D every word in every question and answer!! This is more of a reading comprehension exam, coupled with testing of knowledge more than anything else.

Good luck on the exam, GenX!
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I have been studying for a month and a half for it.. lol I am going to try and knock it about first of November. I like to over prepare =)
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    Unforg1ven wrote: »

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to take my time with it. :)
    erpadmin wrote: »
    +1, no matter how "easy" you think the question is, R-E-A-D every word in every question and answer!! This is more of a reading comprehension exam, coupled with testing of knowledge more than anything else.

Good luck on the exam, GenX!

Thanks, I appreciate that! Looking forward to having the trinity. :)
    I have been studying for a month and a half for it.. lol I am going to try and knock it about first of November. I like to over prepare =)

Nothing wrong with that. Time is at a premium for me because I'm married with 2 boys, a baby girl, a dog & two cats.....and a partridge in a pear tree. :) Because of that I try not to over-study too much. Besides, I really want to finish out MS Exchange 2010 this year so I can being my CCNP track next year!! Whoohoo!
  • Options
    fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□

got me one! icon_study.gif
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It sounds like you're pretty much ready for the exam. You might just want to watch a couple of CBT Nuggets on the areas where you were weak, like Cryptography, then maybe do a quick review of everything, but I'm sure you'll do well on the real exam.

Good luck! icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Hey everybody! Thanks for the well wishes and posts as they all most certainly helped my PASS today with an 845. Took me 30 minutes and it was strikingly easy. There were a few questions that I was like "huh?" but I guessed on them and they were few and far between. :)

The key to this exam was just knowing what they're looking for. :)

Can't wait for the cert to show up in my CompTIA transcript so I can push it over to my MCP ID and get the MCSE: S! Whoot!
  • Options
    Hey everybody! Thanks for the well wishes and posts as they all most certainly helped my PASS today with an 845. Took me 30 minutes and it was strikingly easy. There were a few questions that I was like "huh?" but I guessed on them and they were few and far between. :)

Can't wait for the cert to show up in my CompTIA transcript so I can push it over to my MCP ID and get the MCSE: S! Whoot!

Welcome to the club! CONGRATS!!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    bobbaftbobbaft Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□

Congrats...I'm jealous...I don't have the balls to just go and take it...I'm going to over prepare!
  • Options
    bobbaft wrote: »
    Congrats...I'm jealous...I don't have the balls to just go and take it...I'm going to over prepare!

Read the last statement of my sig....

Seriously, with either the Sybex guide or the preferred guide that seems to guarantee passes if properly studied, you'll be fine whenever you take it. You have both A+ and Network+....don't turn Security+ into some "trek" ( icon_razz.gif at the "trek" guy...lol)