Options

low power server

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Currently my Blog runs on a PC at work, but although that's great for hosting costs, I don't really like the idea of it.

So I am thinking of moving it to my house, but I dont want a PC running 24/7.

I have seen a few of these low power, fanless system around and was thinking of using one (I don't need any thing with any power behind it, if the server ever did get that busy I would pay for a decent hosting solution).

Has any one had an dealing with this type of system and any suggestion to what I might want to look at. Cost i want to keep low as well.

Cheers
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    im using a small paperback novelish size Shuttle box as my internal web server at home. Cost me about 250 bucks a few years ago, uses about 40 watts, dual core Atom, etc. It does the job, all I had to add was a hard drive
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Zotac ZBOX ZBOXHD-ND02 Mini PC Barebone - Intel Atom 330 Dual-Core 1.60GHz, No RAM, No HDD, HDMI, eSATA, WiFi-N, Gigabit LAN, No OS at TigerDirect.com

looks like it could work wouldnt even need a monitor just set it up and use remote for any type of management
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have an HP Windows Home Server. Runs pretty quiet and was built to run headless
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am just looking at this from a cost/size/power perspective but wouldn't a netbook do everything you need to do and more?

Very small and portable.
    Low power usually less then 20W.
    Has wireless capabilities if needed.
    4-8 hour battery backup.
    Can cost less then $200 new.
  • Options
    puppy001puppy001 Banned Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    it is worth hosting it with a hosting company its cheap to do so and less work oh yeah and less down time.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    An Intel Atom powered server would do just fine for small to medium loads. Supermicro has some barebones in the low to mid $200 and are great on power.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a WHS box that's been running nearly 3 years now.

Here's my write up on the performance:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/33286-windows-home-server-more-thoughts.html

Overall, I spend about $75 per year on power, and it houses all of our media. Not sure if that falls in the realm of low power for you, but one thing I would recommend is a P3 - Kill A Watt so you can measure the amount of power being used....

MS
  • Options
    puppy001 wrote: »
    it is worth hosting it with a hosting company its cheap to do so and less work oh yeah and less down time.

LOL you would think so, but in the past I have had plenty of downtime with hosted solutions. Plus you ever tried getting them to do a restore for you?

For me to consider hosting solution it would have to be a full hosted server with shell access and full freedom to play. None of them silly web based management tools (monitoring tools yep i like them). And its not work when you enjoy it... ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    maybe i get one of these :)

webACE Server

I'm really gutted I use to have a Kurobox, which was fun but sold it a year or so back.. that would have been perfect it was the pro version..
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    just get a sheeva wall wort

Marvell SheevaPlug: $99 Linux PC hidden in a wall-wart - SlashGear

half a gig of memory, half a gig of flash storage, gigabit ethernet, and usb 2.0.
  • Options
    wastedtime wrote: »
    I am just looking at this from a cost/size/power perspective but wouldn't a netbook do everything you need to do and more?

Very small and portable.
    Low power usually less then 20W.
    Has wireless capabilities if needed.
    4-8 hour battery backup.
    Can cost less then $200 new.

This is actually not a bad idea! I might actuly get hold of a few of these, make good cheap tftp and file email servers for a home lab. you can pick up old ones with small hard drives for next to nothing on ebay now!