Odd ping response

bogidubogidu Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Please redirect me to a more appropriate place if I'm way off topic.

I've got a local network, my Linksys/Cisco WRT54G w/DD-WRT blew up this morning, I swapped it w/ a spare dlink DI-624 I had lying around. It was a pretty stock configuration, all I did was change the local network to 192.168.1.1 (from the dlink default of 192.168.0.1) and enabled WPA2-PSK with the passkey that I already had setup on the rest of the network.

So here's the odd part. I ping most of the local hosts (about a half dozen) by hostname and get a normal response. One of them, I ping and I get a response from some computer somewhere out on the internet (208.68.143.50). confused.png I have never seen anything like this before.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• hyperrawr9000hyperrawr9000 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    first thought would be an entry in the hosts file, also maybe a cached dns entry? whats the name that is resolving to a public ip? is it just 1 machine thats resolving that or more than 1?
  • bogidubogidu Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    first thought would be an entry in the hosts file, also maybe a cached dns entry? whats the name that is resolving to a public ip? is it just 1 machine thats resolving that or more than 1?

The fqdn of the host is highline.pueblowest.rabidkoalas.com. It's just the systems that are on the wireless side, anything plugged into the switch on the DI-624 pings locally. From that I guess there's got to be some setting in the access point causing this?
  • bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    bogidu wrote: »
    Please redirect me to a more appropriate place if I'm way off topic.

I've got a local network, my Linksys/Cisco WRT54G w/DD-WRT blew up this morning, I swapped it w/ a spare dlink DI-624 I had lying around. It was a pretty stock configuration, all I did was change the local network to 192.168.1.1 (from the dlink default of 192.168.0.1) and enabled WPA2-PSK with the passkey that I already had setup on the rest of the network.

So here's the odd part. I ping most of the local hosts (about a half dozen) by hostname and get a normal response. One of them, I ping and I get a response from some computer somewhere out on the internet (208.68.143.50). confused.png I have never seen anything like this before.

Any thoughts?

So you kep the SSID and the passcode the same? I would disconnect and reconnect all the wireless clients and try again.