Options

2611XM and 12.4 IOS

stallstall Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Wonder whether you can help me. I've got 3 Cisco 2611XM routers for my CCNP lab. Now I am wanting to get an IOS 12.4 to work with them however they are all 128/32 in specification

Is there a 12.4 IOS that can fit on the flash...or do I have to drop back to 12.3 or even upgrade my flash to 48?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    you will need to either drop back or upgrade the flash.

Personal I would upgrade the flash, however if this is only for study and not yor main router you might easly get away with 12.3. Jsut be aware some syntax of commands aare different and some functions might not be there,
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Your best bet is to check the Cisco Feature Navigator to see what hardware-specs are required by each IOS version.

In the case of 2611XM routers, 128MB of RAM and 32MB Flash memory will be fine for running even the most advanced version of IOS 12.4, Advanced Enterprise Services. If you want to run IOS 12.4T, which has more features and is the version tested on for CCNP and CCIE Routing & Switching, you'll need the same amount of RAM, but 48MB Flash as a minimum.

Keep in mind, these specs are for the most advanced version of IOS 12.4 and 12.4T. If you want to run the IP Base, or other versions, there might be different minimum specs. Familiarize yourself with the Feature Navigator and look at the supported features as well as the amount of RAM and Flash memory needed, in addition to what features are supported, so you can make a decision on which version and feature set of the IOS you want to use for your studies.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    you want to max out your 2600xm to 256/48, and you need to buy the bootrom upgrade BOOT-2600XM-256=

I bought 4 ram/flash/bootrom packages on ebay for my labs and never looked back
  • Options
    stallstall Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cheers guys.

Slowhand - Thanks for the link to the navigator mate.

As this is primarily for study do you think the Advanced Enterprise Services IOS will be enough. I don't really want to be forking out more cash to upgrade these if I can help it..

Thanks
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    stall wrote: »
    Cheers guys.

Slowhand - Thanks for the link to the navigator mate.

As this is primarily for study do you think the Advanced Enterprise Services IOS will be enough. I don't really want to be forking out more cash to upgrade these if I can help it..

Thanks
    Not a problem, that's what this forum is here for. As for the IOS versions, one key difference you're looking at between 12.4 and 12.4T is the support of the Zone-Based Firewall (ZBF). There are some others, but that's a big one. If you don't have access to 12.4T Advanced Enterprise Services, see if you can find Enterprise Basic or even IP Basic for 12.4T in addition to the mainline 12.4 Advanced Enterprise Services image.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.