Options

I start my new job ...

dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
... on Monday but I have had no contact with the company or their HR dept. A week and a half ago, I was told by my Supervisor that I have a job, that she will put in the paperwork and I will be further notified by the HR dept. I asked her if I have to come in to sign any papers and she emailed my that I do not have go in early to sign in anything and on the first day I have to go to the HR dept to sign the papers.
Since then I am not contacted by anyone with further details as to who should I go and meet in the HR dept to sign papers, what time I have to be there and where to go, i mean which building etc. Is it normal for a company to do that, not inform a new employee about stuff? I know there is still some time but I don't want to wait till the last day so I think I am going to call them and ask for these details.
I feel I am being stressed out already. I am not getting a good vibe or feeling about this or I am just being a b#$%h.
What do you think I should do?

Comments

• Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would call the HR department and get the details. Depending on what is going on in a given company, there are all kinds of communication breakdowns between various departments and HR, so sometimes things like this happen.

Your concern is certainly justified--just call and get the info you need. You'll feel much better about the whole situation. The unknown is always more stressful than a defined situation that you can plan to address.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yeah man, just give them a call and ask. I'm sure they will tell you when and where to be.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have had this happen before and its pretty scary especially since I put my notice in to my current employer.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree withthe others about calling ahead. That also covers you if your future bosses dropped the ball on their end as you could show up and nobody at HR would be ready for you. This way HR will definitely be looking for you and will have your paperwork and stuff ready for you when you get there.
    Congrats on the new job and hopefully your first day/week will be smooth sailing.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It is normal to do paper work with HR on the first day, that is what I did at my new job. Never hurts to get in touch with HR yourself and just look for some guidance. I suggest it.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You guys are lucky. I had to knock out my HR paperwork the week before I started at my current job so that they could hit me with 3-4 projects on day 1. Grace period? What grace period.

Just call up whoever interviewed you and ask for that general information.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yea, just call them and get all the information you need. Persistence is key
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I currently have something similar going down. I was told I'd get an official job offer to sign Mon or Tues. They said they needed someone super asap, and that I might even start Wed. It's Friday now, and I've been stressing. I called and left a message a bit ago, so I hope they call me back today... I'd hate to have to spend the weekend wondering. Considering this job is an amazing opportunity, I'd be devastated to learn they randomly changed their minds or something came up keeping them from being able to hire me... ugh.
  • Options
    I am really stressing out.
    Today is my last day at the present job. I called and left a message to my future supervisor and asked some questions. I didn't hear from her so I called her today at 8:15 am, left a message and also emailed her after leaving her a message and haven't heard from her yet.
    I am going to wait a couple of hours and try to get in touch with her again.

What impression do you guys get from this about the employer? Mine is to start sending out resumes again.
    It will be so embarrassing and devastating if they dropped the ball, what can I do?
    Although I am hoping for good, all the thoughts that come to my mind right now are negative.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Who else have you spoken with? try calling the human resources department. For future reference you should never quit your job or put in a notice unless you've got an offer letter in-hand.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    dadaji wrote: »
    I am really stressing out.
    Today is my last day at the present job. I called and left a message to my future supervisor and asked some questions. I didn't hear from her so I called her today at 8:15 am, left a message and also emailed her after leaving her a message and haven't heard from her yet.
    I am going to wait a couple of hours and try to get in touch with her again.

What impression do you guys get from this about the employer? Mine is to start sending out resumes again.
    It will be so embarrassing and devastating if they dropped the ball, what can I do?
    Although I am hoping for good, all the thoughts that come to my mind right now are negative.

A good employer will usually give you enough details about your first day of work (where to go and what time to be there).

I have never had an employer that doesn't keep in touch. One of my employers was chasing me down asking me to send her some documents after an interview (on the same day).

My best advice is go into work during normal business hours and wait at the reception area.
  • Options
    jsolarijsolari Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    any news as to what happened with this...
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay.
    But I started today, Tuesday instead of Monday because the HR department did not have the papers signed by Monday. Today is my first day, so far so good.

I had to call my supervisor on Friday and Monday to follow up and finally I got an email yesterday from her saying that its a green signal for me to start on Tuesday. I guess persistence is the key.

Thank you guys for the reply/