Options

Please, explain

Can someone tell me what this means, I am a little bit confised. Saw it on a job i'm applying for.

"works with other IT staff and system administrator(s) to oversee day-to-day computing, server and networking infrastructure;"

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It means you work with others to oversee the day to day operations of the network and servers. What part are you not understanding?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Pretty muchly says what it is in the sentence.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    jamesbrown wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what this means, I am a little bit confised. Saw it on a job i'm applying for.

"works with other IT staff and system administrator(s) to oversee day-to-day computing, server and networking infrastructure;"

Thank you.

In other words, to make sure that the IT provision (eg equipment, including hardware, software and networks) works and any problems (regardless of whether you or someone else works on it) are sorted.

-Ken
  • Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    Pretty muchly says what it is in the sentence.

So i'm not going to supervise anyone? right?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why don't you ask the people who are offering the job? You are sure to get more accurate answers from them than us guessing off of one sentence.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It doesn't say you wont specifically. You'll be in a team environment and you may have to supervise someone occassionally.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Why don't you ask the people who are offering the job? You are sure to get more accurate answers from them than us guessing off of one sentence.

Thank you.
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Not only will you be responsible for the infrustructure(equipment) but you will most likely deal with day-to-day issues with other staff members and/or users with their IT needs and problems too.
  • Options
    Not only will you be responsible for the infrustructure(equipment) but you will most likely deal with day-to-day issues with other staff members and/or users with their IT needs and problems too.

I understand now. Thank you very much. I have an interview today that's why I'm trying to understand what it really means.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not to be mean but you may be shooting to high if you do not understand that statement. It is very common to see in job requirements.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Not to be mean but you may be shooting to high if you do not understand that statement. It is very common to see in job requirements.

This is my first time seeing that on a job description.
  • Options
    Really? Most IT jobs that are at a professional level require some sort of oversight of personnel. You may be delegating, leading or teaching it all depends. Most of the time when I see a statement like that I assume I will be doing one or all of the three and maybe even supervising them.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Really? Most IT jobs that are at a professional level require some sort of oversight of personnel. You may be delegating, leading or teaching it all depends. Most of the time when I see a statement like that I assume I will be doing one or all of the three and maybe even supervising them.

I have never participate in a forum before, but I will definitely be a member of this board. I'll let you guys know how the interview goes.
  • Options
    Best of luck!
    Degrees:
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    James Brown says, "I feel good! Da da da da da da da DA! I knew that I would now!"

I would doubt that you'd be supervising. Sounds like a general "must be able to work in a team environment" statement. Pretty common.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How did the interview go? Did you ask for more clarification?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    James Brown says, "I feel good! Da da da da da da da DA! I knew that I would now!"

I would doubt that you'd be supervising. Sounds like a general "must be able to work in a team environment" statement. Pretty common.

One of the guys interviewing me ask if i have any supervisory experience that the job doesn't require that.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    How did the interview go? Did you ask for more clarification?

I did ask the question, and they made it clear that the job doesn't require any supervisory experience. overall, it was a good interview.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I did ask the question, and they made it clear that the job doesn't require any supervisory experience. overall, it was a good interview.

Good work.

So when will you be following up with them on the status of the opening?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Good work.

So when will you be following up with them on the status of the opening?
    next week wednesday or thursday.
  • Options
    When should I do a follow up after an interview? How long do I have to wait before calling?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    When should I do a follow up after an interview? How long do I have to wait before calling?

Normally,

I ask them when would it be 'ok' to call back and follow-up and specify a date (May I call you Tuesday Morning and follow-up with you? Or what time on Tuesday is a good time of day to call you to follow-up?) And a thank you letter/note goes out seconds (or the nearest mailbox) after the interview so they receive it the next business day.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I already sent the thank you letter, they said I should email them to find out more
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    I already sent the thank you letter, they said I should email them to find out more

Thats great man.

Good luck.