I need advice :)

YahelYahel Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all :)
Here is mine problem... I am an academy student and I have completed CCNA 1-2-3 , atm we are at the begining of the CCNA 4, but it is taking a way too much time...
We only have classes 2 times a week.... So 1 week per chapter. CCNA 4 have eight chapters, I don't want to spend 2 more months on learning those 8 chapters...
Also...I got those academy certificates CCNA 1-2-3, but belive it or not mine instructor has never configured anything on the REAL router or a switch,all his labs were at PT, and he only read to use those predefined slides...
As u can see, mine academy training is a waste of time....but in case I don't take CCNA 4 at the academy will I lose anything,expect the voucher discount.
If it is the only thing I lose... I would rather pay 300$ for the CCNA composite exam, than 300$ for another semestar :)

In next 2 months I can easily prepare mine self for the exam ;)

Any advices ? :)

I hope u get the point, because mine english is poor :/
CCNA = Passed (01-02-2011)
NEXT : CCNP ROUTE

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There are dozens (if not more) people here who took no cisco classes and have gotten their CCNA from the COMP exam. No reason why you can't if you know the information in the remaining parts.

But why is speed so important? I'd rather have the two months of classes and finish NetAcad then take my test WHILE studying on my own as well, then just ditch the classes entirely. Both options cost the same...

So class + self study = $300
    or
    Self study = $300...

Might as well take the class.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • YahelYahel Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @chmorin
    Thanks for the answer :)

As u can see from mine post, it isn't about speed, I feel like an idiot, paying 300$ for something which I can do on mine own. Because we don't have any equipment to work with, only a pt...
    So... it is the same for me, all things which I know about cisco I've learned at home... by reading and practicing.

About $ part...it's not the same... in case I go to academy I will pay 300$ for the CCNA 4 and than some extra money for the composite exam :/
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I think the key here is you've decided you aren't getting anything of value from the course. If that's the case and you are wasting your time then by all means stop paying them for that.

For the 300 to take the course you could buy a couple routers and switches that should get you 75% of the material hands on..
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I think the only value you get from a course (IMO) as opposed to self study, is that you have to do it.

Take my case, where I have been self studying on and off for a couple of years now.

If I had done a course, and been forced to attend a class, I would probably be a CCIE by now! icon_lol.gif
    Thanks all :) you have helped me a lot, I wanted to do it...but wasn't 100% sure... now I am :D

@tha_dub
    Yes you are right, once I started academy training I was a noob :) didn't know anything about networks... but 1 year has passed, and I didn't learn much. 1 whole year... for the CCNA 1-2-3, it's ok for the people who work or something... but I don't, so it's more than a waste for me icon_sad.gif

@wbosher
    I agree with you :D that's the only "benefit" you have. That's the main reason I've decided to start academy training... But now... I feel like I don't need it, because I can easly spend 3-4 hours a day reading and practicing in pt... it is so fun for me :) and I want to learn more!!! :D

So that's it... it's time do self-study ccna 4 and renew everything.... in less than 30 days I should be ready for the exam :)

From which site I can order it ?
  • JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    Yahel wrote: »
    Thanks all :) you have helped me a lot, I wanted to do it...but wasn't 100% sure... now I am :D

@tha_dub
    Yes you are right, once I started academy training I was a noob :) didn't know anything about networks... but 1 year has passed, and I didn't learn much. 1 whole year... for the CCNA 1-2-3, it's ok for the people who work or something... but I don't, so it's more than a waste for me icon_sad.gif

@wbosher
    I agree with you :D that's the only "benefit" you have. That's the main reason I've decided to start academy training... But now... I feel like I don't need it, because I can easly spend 3-4 hours a day reading and practicing in pt... it is so fun for me :) and I want to learn more!!! :D

So that's it... it's time do self-study ccna 4 and renew everything.... in less than 30 days I should be ready for the exam :)

From which site I can order it ?

I'm gonna say this: while wanting to get a CCNA to get a job is a great goal, a CCNA doesn't mean your going to get a job that you can use what you learned on Cisco stuff. I've had a CCNA for years now and while it's great on the ole resume, my first job after getting the CCNA was help desk at a NOC. The NOC wouldn't let CCNAs anywhere near routers and switches. CCNPs were the one's that did all the configuring. Once the CCNPs got done, the routers were shipped to sites. Those who installed the equipment at the sites were those Network + and A+ field guys who simply stuck the thing in the rack, hooked up cables, powered it on and then called the CCNPs at the NOC. The help desk was just calls from sites on the applications the users used, but to get that job, they wanted you to have a CCNA. Even Microsoft certs weren't valued to get a job at a NOC.

The value of a college education with a degree is that companies will look to hire you first, meaning that if you have an IT degree and can't get a job, you can apply for something else besides IT and have a better chance of getting a job than the stiffs without a degree. If your in school for a degree, even if it's just an AA, finish it, if you can. Don't wait until you wished you hadn't waited to finish the college degree [like me].
    Thanks all :)
    I've made a decision, and it's to stay at the academy, because I am planing to become a ccna instructor, it would be stupid to quit now :)