Options

Lab experience on resume

chaoticjacketchaoticjacket Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
how would you add lab experience to resume like from a technical school. Ive already added it as education. im pretty sure all the equipment, scenarios count for something

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't list it on my resume but if I was asked if I worked with Cisco equipment. I would go into my background with the Cisco Networking Academy. I wouldn't rely on lab experience to get you a job because it really isn't the same environment. Although being able to detail your lab and the things you do in it would definitely show that you have the aptitude to do stuff on a live network.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd just leave it under education. If you do try and put it somewhere else make sure its very clear that its lab only experience.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    im pretty sure all the equipment, scenarios count for something
    It does count for something... education. Not experience.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    how would you add lab experience to resume like from a technical school. Ive already added it as education. im pretty sure all the equipment, scenarios count for something

It is not the sort of thing I would list on a CV but I talk about my lab at interviews if the question comes up about how I keep ahead and keep my skills up to date etc. Labs are tricky as they are realy only understood by others that lab, to anyone else it is just fluff that shows you need to try and fill up your CV.
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214

Lab experiece in a school environment is very useful. You can always put down responsibilities like ensuring all computers are working properly or troubleshooting minor issues whenever they arise. You can also add customer service skills gained by helping students with technical issues.