Options

Issue with MS Outlook not displaying .htm files

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Greetings, having an issue IT wise and wanted to get some input.

Work with Windows XP, Outlook 2003 with 2003 Servers for DCs.

Had an end user report that he used to be able to open .htm files ok as attachments from MS Outlook emails. Now they are being blocked by MS Outlook, saying something like they are a possible risk.

If I log into my XP local profile, on that computer, I have the same issue. However if I have the end-user forward me those files to the computer where I'm sitting at, I can view them from MS Outlook just fine.

Working with a Tier II person, they are telling me it is some sort of MS Office Group Policy that is blocking it. He even sent me a screenshot with the rule.

If that is the case, why am I able to view the .htm files ok on my computer?

Also, is this a Group Policy setting that is blocking these or something local on that computer, say a setting in the Registry?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is your computer and the computer having the problem at the same service pack and patch level for Outlook? That might be your answer.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    What happens if you forward an attachment with a .htm extension to the user? Can the user open it without being prompted? What happens if the users logs onto another machine? Same issue?

Edit: Did some searching... is the file extension associated with any program on the user's machine?
    Note If a program associates itself with a new file name extension, Outlook treats that file name extension as safe until you add the file name extension to the list of Level 1 or Level 2 file name extensions.

For example, if you install a program on your computer that uses files that have a .xyz file name extension, when you open an attachment that has a .xyz file name extension, the program opens and runs the attachment. By default, the .xyz file name extension does not appear on the Level 1 or the Level 2 list. Therefore, Outlook treats it as a safe file name extension. If you want Outlook to treat attachments that have the .xyz file name extension as unsafe, you must add the .xyz file name extension to the list of Level 1 file name extensions.
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Greetings, having an issue IT wise and wanted to get some input.

Work with Windows XP, Outlook 2003 with 2003 Servers for DCs.

Had an end user report that he used to be able to open .htm files ok as attachments from MS Outlook emails. Now they are being blocked by MS Outlook, saying something like they are a possible risk.

If I log into my XP local profile, on that computer, I have the same issue. However if I have the end-user forward me those files to the computer where I'm sitting at, I can view them from MS Outlook just fine.

Working with a Tier II person, they are telling me it is some sort of MS Office Group Policy that is blocking it. He even sent me a screenshot with the rule.

If that is the case, why am I able to view the .htm files ok on my computer?

Also, is this a Group Policy setting that is blocking these or something local on that computer, say a setting in the Registry?

thanks

I don't see how it would be group policy, although I have seen machines get borked up and have different permission levels for no good explanation.

I think the Outlook client is jacked up to be honest. If you logged onto the machine and your profile is not allowing you to access the link then it either has to be a setting in the application itself or the registry. I would first play around with the different mail formats. Try using rich text, html, and plain text and see if you can open the link out of one of those formats. Also check the security level, although you probably already did that.

What happens when he logs onto a different machine and tries to access his email? Do you all have OWA at your location? Can he access those links from OWA?

Does this HTM file have the same exact name? Does this HTM file come in over and over into the Outlook client? Is this end user having any other issues opening any other files?
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Is your computer and the computer having the problem at the same service pack and patch level for Outlook? That might be your answer.

Other then eyeing what is under Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, is there a better way to figure out what patches/hotfixes/service packs may or may not be installed.

Would like to find an easier way...
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I think the Outlook client is jacked up to be honest.

Forgot to mention, I uninstalled/reinstalled Office and that didn't fix the issue.
    Also check the security level, although you probably already did that.

Not sure how to check the security level? For the PC? For the Contain where the pc is on the OU? Or Domain?

What happens when he logs onto a different machine and tries to access his email? Do you all have OWA at your location? Can he access those links from OWA?

Good idea, and I will try this once I get back into the office.
    Does this HTM file have the same exact name? Does this HTM file come in over and over into the Outlook client? Is this end user having any other issues opening any other files?

These .htm files are attachments that are coming from an hr web app. These are people's applications that the system puts in this format.

These are the only type of files that he is having an issue trying to open.

Did want to mention, that if he saves them to his XP Desktop, he can view them fine. Its just from MS Outlook 2003 is where the issue lies. So he does have a work around right now. However, we are getting reports from other users who are starting to have the same issue too...

-unknown
  • Options
    willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    Other then eyeing what is under Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, is there a better way to figure out what patches/hotfixes/service packs may or may not be installed.

Would like to find an easier way...

You could run Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer, but this will only identify important service packs, patches and hotfixes. You would need to run it on both computers and compare them.

On the Exchange issue, it's possible some setting in Exchange would be affecting it. I think if there was a Group Policy Object being applied to the system, the HTM files wouldn't even open on the Desktop.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Forgot to mention, I uninstalled/reinstalled Office and that didn't fix the issue.

Not sure how to check the security level? For the PC? For the Contain where the pc is on the OU? Or Domain?

Good idea, and I will try this once I get back into the office.

These .htm files are attachments that are coming from an hr web app. These are people's applications that the system puts in this format.

These are the only type of files that he is having an issue trying to open.

Did want to mention, that if he saves them to his XP Desktop, he can view them fine. Its just from MS Outlook 2003 is where the issue lies. So he does have a work around right now. However, we are getting reports from other users who are starting to have the same issue too...

If the file name is the same for the HTM file it will keep saving the same version (1), (2), (3), etc. I am just saying if the file is the same name like (New employee). Once you hit 99 save instances windows geeks out and it won't let you open the file from Outlook anymore. You will have to go into the registry under office 11 folder and find the OLK folder if in fact that is the problem.

Let me know if the HTM files have the same exact name coming in. If so that is probably it. I will give you a step by step to fix this issue.
  • Options

Let me know if the HTM files have the same exact name coming in. If so that is probably it. I will give you a step by step to fix this issue.

No the .htm files do not have the same name.

These files are from out hr resume system and alot of times the hr admin will forward the resumes to the hiring managers, so they can look at them without having to log into the system, thus the name of the files are going to be the name of the person applying for the position.

thanks

-unknown