Options

Windows + Linux through vmware?

fogsparkfogspark Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I am going to put Windows on my Linux laptop, then re-install Lunux.

Is anyone running vmware on a dual boot rig? I haven't done this yet so I figured I'd ask first before burning hours aiming for the wrong setup.

What do you recommend for the setup? Any issues I should expect to see?

Anyone have other cool visualization setups they want to talk about? Anyone have a virtual hackintosh running?

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fogspark wrote: »
    So I am going to put Windows on my Linux laptop, then re-install Lunux.

Is anyone running vmware on a dual boot rig? I haven't done this yet so I figured I'd ask first before burning hours aiming for the wrong setup.

What do you recommend for the setup? Any issues I should expect to see?

Anyone have other cool visualization setups they want to talk about? Anyone have a virtual hackintosh running?

you could just put linux in a vm and then run windows as your main or vise versa (I do vise versa).

Try doing some googling on Virtual Box
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have a specific need to dual boot, then go for it, VMware Workstation or Oracle VirtualBox will work fine. Otherwise, just install one OS on your laptop and the rest as VMs. This is what I do on my laptop (Linux host OS, various VMs using VirtualBox currently).

OSx86 releases install in VirtualBox, however there are no guest additions available, so performance is not optimal and mouse functionality is not as nice as a VM with the additions. It would probably work better to install it directly on the host and use Parallels or Fusion to run VMs.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV