Options

2012 End of the...

ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
2012 is not end of the world its going to be end of IPv4. Those Mayans are pretty smart, considering they did not even have computers back then, unless its those mysterious "Aliens" that told them icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I doubt IPV4 will just go away in 2012 but it is wise for large enterprises to be ready for the change.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    I doubt IPV4 will just go away in 2012 but it is wise for large enterprises to be ready for the change.

I doubt that is as big of a concern as many may think. NAT conversion of internal IPv4 traffic to ISP IPv6 is most likely going to common. The cost of switching to IPv6, the retraining of your IT staff, etc. is probably going to push this back for many years unless some federal mandate forces it to happen similar to digital TV broadcasting.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    The problem is, a lot of the mechanisms for going from IPv4 to IPv6 are either quite flakey (NAT-PT), or cause MTU issues and fragmentation (6to4, Teredo, and 6rd too), so on large data would slow things down and give edge devices a hard time.

I think it'd be better if businesses slowly migrated to dual stack. Then again I'm an advocate of IPv6 and would personally like to see more action sooner rather than later
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1