Options

2008 or 2008 R2?

LTParisLTParis Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I finally got around to buying a new rig to create a virtual test lab, but I was wondering if the testing is still on the 2008 material or are they incorporating R2 into the mix now?

Comments

• Options
    marcelsmarcels Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It looks like its mixed at the moment, some people are seeing R2 questions while others are not. I had R2 questions in my last exam and this just added stress as I had not studied R2 at all.

If your planning on doing the MCITP:EA or SA its probably worth using R2, otherwise it may fully change on you while your half way through and then you'll have to back track and cover the R2 topic for the overall exams (70-646/70-647)
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definitely R2. Most of the exams for the EA have been updated, or are being updated, to include R2 topics. Even if there was no R2 coverage, you can still safely use R2.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1 to what MentholMoose said. Most people are getting R2 material on the exams.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lab with R2. The exams are changing and it's best to get used to it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    R2 is the way to go, not only because you will be tested for but it does contain some new features and I found it much faster. You do need 64bit env though.
  • Options
    gollgoll Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    za3bour wrote: »
    You do need 64bit env though.

Could you tell me why ?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Server 2008 R2 is 64 bit only so you need a 64 bit processor. If you plan to have any Server 2008 R2 VMs you may need to condider what requirements are needed to run them.
    Personally I have a computer (self built) that can run HYper-V since I knew I would be studying Hyper-V when I got to the 70-643 (if going the MCITP:EA route)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    If you can set up a 64bit only lab then study with R2, if not work with 2008 and just read up on and be aware of the changes/differences.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Things such as Branch Caching between Windows 7 and Windows 2008 only work with R2. That's just one example.

Highly recommend the R2 as others have stated if you have the environment to be able to run it within your VM's. MS are adjusting their exams all the time it would seem which is excellent as it keep the exams fresh. Just wish they would perfect their 083 series of exams and get them out there as well.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    LTParisLTParis Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i would so prefer 83-7** testing. I hate multiple choice trick questions.