Options

2008 R2 Only

Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
So I posted a month or so ago that I landed a pretty good perm job and was going to take it and give up contracting. Well 2 weeks ago I started the new job. The org has 1000 users 80 sites but no common infrastructure, they are using really old kit, freeware etc. etc. it’s a sham, but on the bright side they want a brand new infrastructure built on pure 2008R2, VMware all linked with Cisco Kit. (Plus all the good stuff that goes with it, W7, Office 2010, Ex 2010, SP 2010 new servers new SAN etc. etc.

Anyhow a few years ago I did a similar thing but with 2003, I built a brand new infrastructure for 6 sites and 600 users with 2003 only servers and all the up to date related products at the time inc vmware citrix etc etc, I thought this was a once in a lifetime role but here I am 4 years later doing the same with 2008R2.

To top it off all the it staff are pleased to have me there, no bad vibes or resentment and they were fine with me redoing all of the work they had already done after giving them my reasons. The first line guys commented that they had learnt more from me in 2 weeks then they had from anyone else in 2 years, the management team stopped looking over my shoulder after day 1 which has never happened before.

So a pure 2008R2 domain including member servers, nothing else kinda sweet I think.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's pretty cool. Nothing like starting fresh with the latest technology.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very nice work man. This I did many years ago at one shop and I am on my way into a new shop and a similiar situation. It gives a much appeciate when you get this all up and running.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That sounds exciting and stressful lol. Its good that you are putting your certs and knowledge to good use lol.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like a great opportunity for you to shine. Congrats on the new gig.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    2008 R2 and Windows 7 is the most perfect combination of MS technology a tech could hope for. You are about to build the most stable network available.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Fun eh? I'm kinda doing the same thing at the moment. Big hardware lease is over. New equipment coming in is always fun to play with.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like a fun project, need an assistant? :p
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I know the feeling. At my last position, I helped set up the domain just after Windows Server 2008 launched, then we the DC's when R2 came out and got everyone upgraded to Windows 7. It was surreal, but so very, very nice a the same time.

Congrats on the new job, it sounds like you've landed a real dream-job. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.