Options

Could you pass A+ again?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
For those of you who already have an A+ certification, and have had it for awhile, could you just go take it again and pass it if you needed to? Like without studying? Or would you have to do some kind of refresher? For those that have moved on to bigger and better things, do you retain the original knowledge?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    For those of you who already have an A+ certification, and have had it for awhile, could you just go take it again and pass it if you needed to? Like without studying? Or would you have to do some kind of refresher? For those that have moved on to bigger and better things, do you retain the original knowledge?

I took both tests the same day the first time with no study. I suppose I could do it again if I wanted to be bored to death. However, I have designed a couple of motherboards for embedded systems before so I am not a good example.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recently took it but a big part of my work experience thus far was PC repair and maintenance so I think I could do it again without any major studying. The only thing I'd be afraid of is IRQs/DMAs.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

I took the A+ ten years after I needed to and that was 5 years ago. I think the A+ came out in 1999 though, but I was already 8 years into "A+ knowledge" at that point between working and my years as a hobbyist.

I can build a PC drunk and in my sleep (and this is a newer one, with SATA instead of IDE with jumpering master/slave configs). This was also for the 30X (301 and 302 exams). Could I take the A+ today and pass? Yes. Would I need a refresher? Maybe/Maybe not. I would probably use a Passport book to deal with it if I had to. But I'm pretty sure I could pass A+ and Network+ with little study if I had to. (And I pretty much don't at this present time. :D ).
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think so. I would probably review the newer objectives, though.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I seriously doubt I could. I took both exams one after the other back in the day. I can still build my own boxen, whether it be desktop or server, but I doubt I could just walk in and knock it out of the park.

The Net+, otoh, I'm sure I could pass. No clue what's on the exam these days, but if I couldn't walk in and pass that one without any study, I might as well give up my CCIE aspirations
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, but I wouldn't want to.

I've had a similar question going in my mind the last few years. If I sat for the SATs cold right now, would do I better or worse than I did in HS?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Could I? Yes. Would I need a little refresher? Probably. Will I take it again? Probably not. I'm A+ certified for life. If I upgraded, I'd be on the 3 year upgrade plan. I don't think the A+ is worth upgrading every 3 years.

PC hardware might change, but you only require the knowledge once. The buses and connectors might change, but thats about it.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Could I pass the test right now? Maybe.
    Would I require some review first? Definitely
    I work on PCs regularly and have even built 3 but the knowledge isn't really all that fresh regarding some of the details and minutae. My A+ was 2 years ago but I could probably eek out a pass.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□

I took the tests about a year ago. There is alot of information that I do not use frequently AT ALL but i feel like I could PASS it again, maybe not with flying colors unless I studied for a week or two like I did last time.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I would have some trouble passing again. For 1, it is a different version now. And 2, over the past year some of that info has slipped away.

I'd like to think I still could, but it would probably be rough (without any study that is)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Without studying? Probably not.
    I would need to review the objectives for a week or two and then I'd be able to pass it again.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The only thing I'd be afraid of is IRQs/DMAs.

I recently took both of the exams, and there were no questions regarding DMA's and IRQ's. I can't recall, but I don't even think they are mentioned in the objectives any longer.
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, blind!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I could but I wouldn't go through the trouble. Honestly I don't think it has done much for my career. At the time though, it did get me into thinking like a tech though so It helped. If I was going to do another "+" exam (besides LPIC-1/L+) it would be server/storage+ simply because those are two very weak areas of mine. In fact if a storage + beta comes out I will probably go for it because I need a reason to study up on storage.
  • Options
    matt79matt79 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I can not really say for sure since I only have half of my A+. But I can say that I did not study for the first half either, so I am assuming that in the future, that if needed, I could retake it without studying.icon_wink.gif
    CCNA certified
    Network+ certified
    Security+ certified
    A+ certified
    CCNP in progress
    :study:
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Well I just did, I took it in 2005 and haven't opened and A+ book since. I had WGU remove them from my passed classes so I could take it and update it before the switch to non-lifetime certs today and passed with an 880 on the first one and 835 on the second with no studying :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    brewdbrewd Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Without a refresher I'd probably fail it (I can build a PC blindfolded but not following the CompTIA specs). Like others have pointed out the IRQ/DMA stuff would be an issue for me as well. I originally passed both the exams on the same day back in 1998 when DOS/Windows 3.1 were the objectives. Crazy to think it was THAT long ago.

I've often thought of re-upping my A+ just to compare today's objectives but haven't wanted to waste the $'s nor the time to bother.