Options

Trying to install setup a USB to perform an unattended install of XP on a netbook

howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
I've never done this before, but my boss has thrown this on my plate.

I've got Windows 7 on my laptop, and according to him, I'm to use WAIK to setup everything, Windows PE, etc, so that I can configure a USB to perform an unattended install of Windows XP on a notebook.

While I do have a technical background, but not in imaging/desktop, for some reason this is not catching.

Anyone done something like this before? I've downloaded WAIK, installed PE on the USB, but not sure how to go from there. How do I used WAIK to configure the files so that when I put them on the USB, its good to go?

Ugh

Comments

• Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    Let me also add, I'm supposed to use Sysprep too. Double Ugh.

I'm sure that I'm making this seem much more difficult than it really is, but I tend to over think things.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've been playing around with this for a couple of days, and all the documentation regarding WAIK, seems to involve installing 7, or just creating a PE boot disk, not creating a disk to perform an unattended install of XP. From what I understand, I need to use Vista or 7 to use WAIK, to set up everything on my USB.

I don't know if everything I'm writing even makes sense to those who actually know what they're doing, but I'm so freaking frustrated right now.

I'm sure this is much simpler than I think, but I'm just spinning my wheels right now.