Options

2011 Certification Plans

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well i planned on at least my CCNP but have now decided to finish my masters in advanced networking.

So

primary goal: Masters degree (full time)

Secondary goals (possibly): Route exam; CCNA:S; JNCIA-ER

we'll see. it all depends on whats happening in my life as my social life is as hectic as my work / uni life. I like a good balance otherwise i would be able to crack through stuff alot faster. but im at the age where i like wasting my weekend playing drinking games such as pub golf, ring of fire, coinage and wheel of fortune :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mark_s0mark_s0 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cert goals:

Q4 2010: Finish CCNA.
    Q1 2011: Security+
    Q2,3,4: GSEC, maybe CCNP, maybe Juniper due to work requirements

Non-cert goals:

Learn python/perl
    Learn how to use Wireshark
    Find a better paid job and preferably a more Networking/Security focused role

This will no doubt change before 2011 :D
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My next exam for 2010 is scheduled for the 30th of October. I am not very well prepared for it yet, but I am putting in the hours, so I hope it will not be too bad. That's the 71-506 , MCTS on Silverlight. I have only been working with it for about 2 going on 3 months. But what it can do for SharePoint and SQL Server BI is really cool.

I hope to then crush the MCTS for SQL Server Developer and try to fit in the SQL Server BI in either December 2010 or very early 2011. But I have said all this in another thread, so no need to go into great detail here. Once I'm done with those I'll start looking at SharePoint certs and a basic Dev cert like 70-536. Or if I fail the Silverlight beta exam, I may end up taking it once it comes out of beta.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looking at the list of exams I have written out as interested in I would be doing the following:
    VCP
    MCITP:EA
    CCENT
    CCNA

That was made earlier this year (May to be exact) so I don't know if it really holds up to what I'm interested in now and that I think I will be able to afford next year.

A more realistic list is:
    MCITP: Sharepoint Administrator 2010

I've burned myself out this year so I am only planning four tests so far. I still have at least two test this year, possibly three if I decide to do the MCSE:S. At my current job we use Sharepoint Services 3.0 extensively and are looking to upgrade so it could help me to have knowledge and credentials in the upgrade paths. I'm also considering looking into the MCTS for SQL.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'll do a Juniper cert or two this year since I'll be working with them more and more. Have the voucher for the JNCIA-Junos, just haven't gotten around to scheduling the exam.

Still not sure if I'll have the time and motivation to go for the CCIE. I guess I'll see how it goes though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hopefully by end of 2010 I will be MCSE and for the start I will head towards the security side. Starting off with Sec+ and getting MCSE: Security by probably March 2011
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Given that I started the thread in the security forum just get my list there :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    A more realistic list is:
    MCITP: Sharepoint Administrator 2010

I've burned myself out this year so I am only planning four tests so far. I still have at least two test this year, possibly three if I decide to do the MCSE:S. At my current job we use Sharepoint Services 3.0 extensively and are looking to upgrade so it could help me to have knowledge and credentials in the upgrade paths. I'm also considering looking into the MCTS for SQL.

Of course the MCTS on SQL would be good to have with this as a professional plan. And another of course, I really like this idea!

Do you guys actually have any plans on the upgrade? Or is it just something for "the future?"
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Of course the MCTS on SQL would be good to have with this as a professional plan. And another of course, I really like this idea!

Do you guys actually have any plans on the upgrade? Or is it just something for "the future?"

My current project is to research the benefits, drawbacks, requirements, and process to do the upgrade from Services to at least Foundation. It will become part of a budget proposal. I would hope to be done with upgrades by next year but in reality it's just a "future" project. We use services as a big backbone of our day to day business so I may be able to make a case.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    My current project is to research the benefits, drawbacks, requirements, and process to do the upgrade from Services to at least Foundation. It will become part of a budget proposal. I would hope to be done with upgrades by next year but in reality it's just a "future" project. We use services as a big backbone of our day to day business so I may be able to make a case.

The inclusion of the BCS in Foundation makes it worth it in my opinion. Also the integration with SQL Server REporting Services has been improved.

The ability to view reports and dashboards is just excellent. With BCS you get the ability to view realtime data from your ERP or whatever business system you might use as if it were a SharePoint list. It has it's limitations but, but for most organizations it is perfect.

You add in stuff like a Silverlight web part that uses the PivotViewer control (PivotViewer | Features | Microsoft Silverlight) and your bosses will literally poo their pants with the wow factor.
  • Options
    SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    2011? I'm not quite done with 2010 yet! Left for this year, I have:

70-291 (taking it this week or next)
    70-293 (planned for late October)
    70-294 (planned for early November)

70-299 (planned for late November)
    70-298 (planned for early December)

If I manage to work extra time into my schedule, I might try to learn some Linux+ as well. I'll also have one MS voucher left to use, so there might be another MS test in there, time permitting.

That'll wrap up my year with both the MCSA and the MCSE with a Security specialization.

For 2011, my mantra is going to be Security, Security, Security. I'll be pursuing my Information Security degree... and my plan is to make every certification I do relate to my goal of taking the CISSP by July of next year. I'd love to work in CCNA Security, CEH, and all sorts of other acronyms... but we'll see how that goes.

I wish I could work in a VCP, but I have no equipment to set it up on... and I don't like to cert without getting hands-on experience.
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I always have big plans for certifications but never actually finish them
    for 2011:

WCNA, GSEC, SSCP, CEH, eCPPT, SCNP.

If I actually get any one of those next year it will be a miracle.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always have big plans for certifications but never actually finish them
    for 2011:

WCNA, GSEC, SSCP, CEH, eCPPT, SCNA.

If I actually get any one of those next year it will be a miracle.

Is that SCNA like Sun certified network admin?

Cool man! Looks like we have another person for the WCNA. Awesome.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is that SCNA like Sun certified network admin?

Cool man! Looks like we have another person for the WCNA. Awesome.

Sorry meant SCNP: Security Certified Program - SCNP
  • Options
    AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2011 Find me a Rich Wife, Retire.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Amco wrote: »

:D

That's the ultimate goal for us I think icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Amco wrote: »

A REALLY good goal icon_wink.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've got some plans for Q4 of 2010 still in the works:
    • CCDA
    • Polish off the remaining three MCSE exams I've been studying for on and off for the last two years.
    As for 2011, I'm going to try for two things:
    • Upgrade to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    • Get at least one, hopefully more, CCNP exams done
    It should be an interesting year, considering that I'm doing mostly self-study right now but I'm set to be taking 13 units of classes in spring, at least 5 over the summer, and another 12 or 13 in the fall. Good thing I have my liquor-cabinet fully stocked.

Oh, and I'm also doing my good deed for the decade and helping out a classmate that's interested in doing IT work and possibly picking up a job at my old company. He has some experience tinkering with computers and setting up his home network. Since he showed an interest in general IT, I've got him on the Slowhand-Bootcamp* regiment to get A+, Network+, and possibly even Security+ certified before the end of the year. So far, he's making excellent progress.

*(The process by which he reads books, watches CBT Nuggets videos, and does lab-work with my old computers and network equipment while I wear boots to kick him in the @$$ with for proper motivation.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Finishing my Masters this semester and HDI-SCTL in a few weeks (maybe).

So 2011 will include:

1. Debating starting a PhD
    2. Getting a better paying job
    3. Get certifications that are related to whatever I am doing at the time
    4. Probably starting the PhD

My psychologist thinks I have masochistic tendencies, but I seem to drawn toward learning...it's a vicious cycle.
  • Options
    Throw me in for an MCTS and an MCITP as well....
  • Options
    Throw me in for an MCTS and an MCITP as well....

Are you sure this time? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Are you sure this time? icon_wink.gif

Yea. Work is making me in charge of the Win7/Server 2008 upgrades so...I guess I should lol. I think I am going to go the pure MCITP path as well (no MCSA upgrade). I might pick up an MCTS in SCCM as well since we are rolling that out. Sigh....lol

New goals:

MCTS:7 and possibly SCCM
    WCNA
    GSEC
    C|EH
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MCTS: SCCM (possibly) and/or WCNA
    MCTS:7
    GSEC
    C|EH

Busy year.

I haven't finalized my list of 2011 (and likely never will) but that looks pretty similar to what I'm thinking about.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I think it is doable. I am not at all happy about the MS stuff lol but I do what I gotta do. I might do SA instead of EA and upgrade later but I need to get real savvy with MS 2008 and Win7 (as well as SCCM).
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree about the dark side. My hunger for knowledge is seemingly unable to be tamed. I shall fight the burnout, come out of retirement (study retirement, that is :P) and vacation later. Here is my new prophecy:

Q4 2010: CCNA:S
    Q1 2011: CEH
    Q2 2011: Start reading WCNA material
    Q3 2011: Chill
    Q4 2011: Begin Cybersecurity Masters program
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    . I might do SA instead of EA and upgrade later

You can't actually upgrade it's a different cert so you need another three exams to get the EA (643, 647 and a client exam)
  • Options
    za3bour wrote: »
    You can't actually upgrade it's a different cert so you need another three exams to get the EA (643, 647 and a client exam)

I know I meant take the other exams.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I plan to finish my MCITP: SA, Network+, and maybe do Security+ before EOY.

2011 plans are CCNA, MCITP: EA (just two tests away from it) and that's it for right now. I may try to find my niche in a systems administrator position before the end of next year. After that if I want to expand more as far as specializations go then I'll probably consider what to do in 2012 past that.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA Security
    CCSP
    Exchange
    CCNA Voice
    CCVP
    Citrix
    VMware

In reality, I probably will barely make it to the Exchange cert.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CCNA Security
    CCSP
    Exchange
    CCNA Voice
    CCVP
    Citrix
    VMware

In reality, I probably will barely make it to the Exchange cert.

If you are able to do all that in one year, I'll put you on a pedestal and worship you for the rest of me life.

Seriously though, that's a very tough ask unless you do all that regularly in real life.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com