2011 Certification Plans

Comments

• jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    If you are able to do all that in one year, I'll put you on a pedestal and worship you for the rest of me life.

Seriously though, that's a very tough ask unless you do all that regularly in real life.

Ya, id love to accomplish all of that in a year, but I probably will barely get to the Exchange material. I do deal with Cisco equipment daily and do a lot of network security overhauls, but that is more of a wish list, than something i'll be able to accomplish in a year.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What on earth? We haven't even reached Christmas yet! icon_lol.gif

I agree with you 100%, it’s still October.
    M y plans for 2010
    Pass the Network + exam.. Exam scheduled for Nov 22
    Graduate with my Associate of Applied Science degree in Information Technology 2010.
    Look, apply, and get my first IT job( help desk)
    2011:
    Security+
    Microsoft windows cert 70-680 windows 7
    And study for the MCTIP (I need to find out more information about all the exams and objectives for this exam)
    After that who knows…..
    Someday I would like go back to school, so that I can pursue a bachelor degree program.
    I really want to take the security + exam this year, but I typically study for one exam at a time.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My list keeps changing:

Q4 2010: MCSE: Security (only need 70-29icon_cool.gif, CCNA:Security, MCITP: EA
    Q1 2011: MCSE: Messaging, CEH, WireShark Certified Network Analyst
    Q2 2011: CCSP (IOS Security, ASA Foundation)
    Q3 2011: CCSP (IPS, ASA Advanced)
    Q4 2011: MCITP: EMA 2010

That is assuming the CCSP doesn't change beforehand, or that I don't flip-flop back to CCNP. Also will finish up my Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity in May 2011, and then immediately roll it into an MS in Cybersecurity or Cybersecurity Policy (which will be only four more courses... six credits each, though... finish in May 2012).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really want to take the security + exam this year, but I typically study for one exam at a time.

Alot of overlap between Network+ and Security+....you could still do it this year if you wanted to do it in december. Just get a copy of Get Certified Get Ahead since that's the preferred guide (it really is though), read it in 10 days, take test and then pass. :)
  • NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    I want to:

1. Finish my CCNA
    2. CCNA: Wireless
    3. CWNA
    4. CCNA: Voice
    5. CTP+
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I plan on getting my CCENT before the end of the year. Probably within a months time. After the CCENT at the beginning of the year I'm thinking about taking 70-642 TS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring.

Then I'll finish my CCNA. After that I'll probably do a windows 7 exam either 70-680 or I might decide to do the 70-682 instead. I should get at least one more in depending on what class I take next fall maybe the CCNA: voice.
  • DanoobDanoob Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have to decide between:

Microsoft path (MCSE....)

or

Cisco (CCNA)

at this point is going to be Microsoft, due to job requirements, although I would prefer Cisco, icon_lol.gif
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2011 will be the year I finally get some certs and it only took 13 years of working in IT to finally do it...lol.

I plan on taking:
    A+, Sec+, MS 70-680, 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-646 (MCITP:SA and EA), CCNA and CCNA:Security and maybe LPI1 or Linux+.

I've got a LONG year ahead of me....
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Danoob wrote: »
    I have to decide between:

Microsoft path (MCSE....)

or

Cisco (CCNA)

at this point is going to be Microsoft, due to job requirements, although I would prefer Cisco, icon_lol.gif

I am in the same boat, but I think I am going the Cisco route
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remainder of 2010: 70-648, 70-643
    Before Feb 2011: 70-647

I'd like to complete the EA before Feb 2011.. I think that is definitely doable but I need to get out of my current slump. Upon finishing the EA, I am going to divert from MS for a short period and do the CCNA:S. I would say that around May 2011, I will begin studies for my CISSP. I am looking to complete my CISSP by September of 2011. From that point, I plan on taking it easy for the rest of the year. The Exchange certs in my signature are still up in the air and I'm not sure how much I really want to do them. I might mix in ITIL for the heck of it but I'm trying to be a little more realistic with my goals this year so that I can accomplish them.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hope I can just post goals in general in here and have it be relevant. I'm not a big certification person but like to steadily pass tests every year.

Goals for end of 2011:
    * Get my MCITP:EA by end of 2011
    * Learn a lot more about Xenapp/XenServer and possibly take exams. I should be going to training at some point for this too.
    * Start reading a lot more
    * Learn more about investing
    * Learn more about business
    * Start some kind of revenue generating business and put time into it everyday
    * Start an LLC (may go into 2012)
    * Learn more about taxes
    * Finish my housing renovation (almost done!)
    * Polish my professional communication
    * Think about Bachelors in Business
    * Continue to think about ideas and get better at recording them (the blog was the first start)
    * Focus my attention better
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    If I'm able to finish 70-680 by the end of this year, I'm going at it very slow since there's a ton of info to learn and this is my first MS exam, then I'll be focusing on the following:

MCITP-EDT7/EDA7
    70-685
    70-686

Possibly finish out MCITP-SA
    70-642
    70-646

Work toward CCEE if possible, but I'd be happy getting these done:

CCA XenApp6
    CCA XenServer 5
    CCA XenDesktop 4

If I manage to tackle all that next year and not blow my brains out, I'm going to look into MCITP Virtualization and VCP-410 to round out my virtualization knowledge. I'll also be finished with my BS in Technical Management in June of 2011.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    70-663 to complete the MCITP:EMA 2010
    70-693 to complete the MCITP:VA
    An MS exam to be named later (I am supposed to take 3 a year)

Certification on Binary Tree's Notes to Exchange migration software (will I even list this on my resume in the future?) as a partner requirement for my company. I may look at some Citrix training to support the third phase of the application virtualization solution I wrote for my company. If I can close a couple of deals on that solution I should have no problem getting the training approved.

My national director and VP have both talked to me about a lead architect role on a global Exchange deployment that another office is staffing. It may come down to schedule availability, but if I get that role, that would be the last bit of experience I need to push for the Exchange 2010 MCM.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    • Project+ (for WGU)
    • Security+ (For WGU)
    • MCITP:EA (For WGU)
    • Possibly CCNA or VCP
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My 2011 is pretty jam packed...

Project + (WGU)
    CCNA
    MCITP: 70-648, 70-643, and 70-646
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Think I'll go for the CCNA and VCP next year. But that's only because I didn't get them done this year. That'll complete my big 3.

Just hope I have more push in 2011.
  • LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Starting from the present:

12/2010: 70-643
    2/2011: 70-647 - that will make me a MCITP:EA

Then I'll have to decide what follows, probably be a choice between SharePoint, Exchange or SQL Server (using this on my IT course currently).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Steve202Steve202 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First post here, so hey guys :)

My plans for 2011:
    CCENT by January and my CCNA by May/June time. After that, I'm not sure. I would like to go for my CCNP by the end of next year, but I feel I may need more hands on experience with Cisco equipment first.

I covered CCNA Modules 1-4 when I was at uni a few years back, so most of my time is spent refreshing my memory.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Claymoore wrote: »
    If I get that role, that would be the last bit of experience I need to push for the Exchange 2010 MCM.

bowing.gifbowing.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • lanrexng2lanrexng2 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCENT!!!
    CCNA!!!
    SSCP
    Gain more security related knowledge and experience
    Linux+ or whatever work demands

GRADUATE FROM COLLEGE!!!icon_study.gif:Dicon_cheers.gif
    GET PROMOTED @ WORK icon_moneyeyes.gif:D
    M Sc Computer Science == 1% completeA+, Network+, Security+, CCENT == 100% complete
    ICND2, RHCSA, C/C++, Python, x86,
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lanrexng2 wrote: »
    CCENT!!!
    CCNA!!!
    SSCP
    Gain more security related knowledge and experience
    Linux+ or whatever work demands

GRADUATE FROM COLLEGE!!!icon_study.gif:Dicon_cheers.gif
    GET PROMOTED @ WORK icon_moneyeyes.gif:D

When are you planning on doing the SSCP?
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    MCITP would be nice. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2011 Goals

3-4 classes towards my BTM degree

2-3 MS exams - Client Exam for MCITP:EA, upgrade exam, Exchange 2003

2 Citrix exams - not sure what, depends on the new Job. Most likely CCA on XenApp 5 or 6
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So my 2011 has been shaken up with a late 2010 layoff and a new job starting on January 3rd. That said my certification goals really haven't changed all that much.

First I want to take at least the bridge exam to the MCITP:EA. I have a test voucher+ second shot laying around so I figure why not. I don't know if I should go on and finish it out or if I should wait until I get some real world experience with 2008 before finishing the full cert.

My new job will heavily involve using Cisco routers, switches, and phones so I may get my CCNA Voice. My previous supervisor had a CCIE Voice and was a wizard with them so I may try to follow his footsteps some.

I'm currently waitlisted for the UCSC Extension online VCP course. I'd like to get the VCP to validate my VMware experience. I used it extensively for a little over 2 years so I feel like I have enough hands on to take the class, lab, and pass the test with some validation behind the letters.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • TheMechanicTheMechanic Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MCITP: ESA and CCNA: Security
    Needs 100K
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I think I am going the Cisco route

my plans have changed... MCDST followed by Win 7, then server 2008, headed for MCITP SA
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Ironically the best way to accomplish this wish list (applies to everyone) is to do it now. Study. Don't wait. You'll be the same person in 2011 as you are right now, right? It sounds simple enough icon_wink.gif A roadmap DOES help though, so here's mine:

Feb 2011 ICND1
    March 2011 Security+
    April 2011 ICND2
    May 2011 A.S. - IT Network Management graduation and gainfully employed icon_cheers.gif
    July 2011 Start WGU IT Security degree

I can't look any further into the future. My life will be drastically different by May. But one more thing to add.....

Dec 2011 Finish 11,000 page reading goal!!!!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My plans have changed as well:

2011 (In this order):
    1. C|EH
    2. CCNA:S
    3. LPIC-1
    4. CWTS
    5. Begin CISSP studies

I'm postponing graduate studies to 2012 :)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My plans have changed as well:

2011 (In this order):
    1. C|EH
    2. CCNA:S
    3. LPIC-1
    4. CWTS
    5. Begin CISSP studies

I'm postponing graduate studies to 2012 :)

That would be impressive!

I was thinking about getting the Linux+ LPIC 1 eventually. Maybe this will be the year. :)

My goals haven't been set yet honestly. I had some earlier in the post, but those have changed.

Only thing I have been working on extremely hard is Excel 2007. I am trying to really get to know the application. I've read 3 books on it so far and now I am watching a power user dvd by Mr Excel. This year might be nothing but Excel.
  • jrdeleon1jrdeleon1 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Currently for 2011:

70-640
    70-642
    70-646
    70-682