2011 Certification Plans

Comments

• ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Mine may very well change, but my goals as of right now are:

CISSP - Q1
    CCNA (Routing/Switching)
    CCNA (Security)
    GIAC GPEN
    MAYBE OSCP (might be fun) or CHFI (depends on many factors)
    I am also starting Graduate school in 2011 M.S. in CyberSecurity
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    That would be impressive!

I was thinking about getting the Linux+ LPIC 1 eventually. Maybe this will be the year. :)

My goals haven't been set yet honestly. I had some earlier in the post, but those have changed.

Only thing I have been working on extremely hard is Excel 2007. I am trying to really get to know the application. I've read 3 books on it so far and now I am watching a power user dvd by Mr Excel. This year might be nothing but Excel.

Man I got nothing on Excel; I've seen some projects use it extensively in the past in regards to advanced statistics and its definitely hardcore.

The only thing I remember excel wise was that hidden flight map in the office 2000 version?
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Man I got nothing on Excel; I've seen some projects use it extensively in the past in regards to advanced statistics and its definitely hardcore.

The only thing I remember excel wise was that hidden flight map in the office 2000 version?

Work has given me some projects, strictly pivot table related. No VBA or functions/arguments quite yet, but I am getting there.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MCITP:SA and 70-680 for the MS stuff

If I have time i'd like to at least get CCENT

After that i'm not sure, just depends on what the job i'm doing at the time entails. icon_study.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • agpltagplt Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Plans for 2011:

I still don't know what to choose, what way i want to go... First main decision is to choose what way i will take my CCNA i am thinking about one way path but still i am not sure if i could handle it, because i am kinda new to this stuff, i had some experience in networking but i forgot a lot. After i got CCNA i am thinking about CCNA Security but maybe i have question for more advanced users here, what you think, what should i choose after i get CCNA ? maybe get some Microsoft certs or go on with CISCO ? I want to be sys admin which manages networks, maybe some servers, dunno still :) if it's not place for it you can just PM me, i am not sure of creating new thread. So to summarize everything:

My plans for 2011 are:

1. CCENT
    2. CCNA
    3. CCNA Security or VoIP or something else... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Currently working on:
    - CCNA
    Future plans:
    - CCNA Security
    - CCNA Voice

Currently reading:

- Todd Lammle “CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801)
    Currently watching:
    - CBTnuggets Cisco 640-822 Jeremy Cioara

2011 10k challenge
    Pages read: 137
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    Plan for 2011:

1, finish CCNP (SWITCH & TSHOOT)
    2, either CCVP(most likely) or CCIE:R&S
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    stuh84 wrote: »
    I got the CCNP out the way this year so that has put me on a good path for the rest of it. As long as I finish off my JNCIA-JUNOS soon, I'll be on with the CCIP through the early months of 2011.

After that, so long as funds permit, I'm going to jump on the CCIE track. R&S definitely. If I feel like I need a change in the middle of it, I'm probably going to do either the LPIC-1, or JNCIS-SP.

I may do the HP ASE exam at some point too, but I'm not going to shout too much about that, it just happens to be there and I feel like having a go.

This is going to have to be updated a bit. I've had a few job applications get turned down due to lack of Microsoft Server knowledge (why the hell they call it a Networking job if its sys admin I dont know, but thats HR departments for you...), so once I've completed the CCIP, I'm probably gonna get on with the MCITP:SA, at the same time as studying for the CCIE:R&S written. I still hope to have the written done by the end of next year, but we shall see.

I think the Linux and Juniper stuff is going to have to go out of the window for now...
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    2011 should be good.. providing my drive stays high, and work permits!

Finish up CCNA
    A+ and Server+ (maybe)
    CCNA: Security
    CCNP: R&S
    Graduate Studies
    CCNA: Wireless
    or
    CWTS/CWNA

icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    CCNP
    CCNA-Voice
    hopefully jump start CCNP-Voice
  • TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    70-680
    Project+
    CCNA
    CCNA:security

Enrolling in WGU(Not a cert i know, but i will probably get a CIW cert or something this year as well)
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have tweaked my 2011 plans a little. Now it's going to be:

1. MCITP : EMA (2 exams)
    2. MCITP : EA (1 exam)
    3. VCP
    4. I'd like to squeeze in one CCA, but 4 heavyweight exams are a lot to get through.

It's going to be hard to convince the employer to shell out the $3000 or whatever it is for the course, so might have to do that out of pocket. But this is the blueprint for 2011 and I am going in with all cannons blazing. The VCP is too popular and in demand to be ignored.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here were my first plans:
    Q4 2010 (few days): Security+
    Q4 2010: LPIC-1 (November-December)
    Jan Q1 2011: SSCP
    Q1:2011: ITIL Foundations
    Q2: 2011: C|EH
    Q2: A.A.S Network Engineering
    Q3: GSEC A.A.S Software development (maybe)
    Q4: GCIA
    My new plans are:
    Certs: LPIC-1, WCNA, GCIA, GCFW, CCNP:Security
    Course: Elearnsecurity, LSO web hacker and pen tester, offensive security
    School: AAS in Network Engineering, AAS Software Development, start BSCS

Why?

Well with the prospect of a new job looming, it actually helped me to figure out what exactly I want to do. I still do want to do some pen testing but I feel like GPEN will be a better investment for me and also having the knowledge is going to be more worth while than the cert. I might pick up CEH just as resume candy but i don't know. Also one thing you should know is these are now 18 months goals, not 12 months. A lot of it is going to depend on what happens with my job. If I get the security analyst job, I will start working on the GCFW and CCNP security before the GCIA. If I don't get the job, the gcia will come first and it is very possible the gcfw will be next and I may not ever do the CCNP security. We will see but if it doesn't come through, I may start looking at LPIC-2 or GPEN. I am also considering GWAPT as a possible alternate as I want to do it anyway at some point.

I dropped the SSCP because I didn't feel like the cert is going to be doable for me by March, especially if I am moving/changing jobs/taking 18 credits/finish linux+ and LPIC-1. It seemed like a bit much to commit to. Right now, I like the way my list looks but we will see what happens. I am really looking for a analyst type role which I can work into engineering so the certs I have chosen (IMO) seem like the most logical.
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Here were my first plans:

My new plans are:
    Certs: LPIC-1, WCNA, GCIA, GCFW, CCNP:Security
    Course: Elearnsecurity, LSO web hacker and pen tester, offensive security
    School: AAS in Network Engineering, AAS Software Development, start BSCS

Why?

Well with the prospect of a new job looming, it actually helped me to figure out what exactly I want to do. I still do want to do some pen testing but I feel like GPEN will be a better investment for me and also having the knowledge is going to be more worth while than the cert. I might pick up CEH just as resume candy but i don't know. Also one thing you should know is these are now 18 months goals, not 12 months. A lot of it is going to depend on what happens with my job. If I get the security analyst job, I will start working on the GCFW and CCNP security before the GCIA. If I don't get the job, the gcia will come first and it is very possible the gcfw will be next and I may not ever do the CCNP security. We will see but if it doesn't come through, I may start looking at LPIC-2 or GPEN. I am also considering GWAPT as a possible alternate as I want to do it anyway at some point.

I dropped the SSCP because I didn't feel like the cert is going to be doable for me by March, especially if I am moving/changing jobs/taking 18 credits/finish linux+ and LPIC-1. It seemed like a bit much to commit to. Right now, I like the way my list looks but we will see what happens. I am really looking for a analyst type role which I can work into engineering so the certs I have chosen (IMO) seem like the most logical.

I am right there with ya with GPEN. We can certainly bounce training ideas off each other.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ibcritn wrote: »
    I am right there with ya with GPEN. We can certainly bounce training ideas off each other.

I think I want to start a thread for those folks going to challenge SANS certs.

EDIT: I started it: http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/61433-sans-challengers-group.html#post483323
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    2011 Goals

3-4 classes towards my BTM degree

2-3 MS exams - Client Exam for MCITP:EA, upgrade exam, Exchange 2003

2 Citrix exams - not sure what, depends on the new Job. Most likely CCA on XenApp 5 or 6

Mine still looks about right.

January - 70-620 / Vista. Client for MCITP:EA
    February - Exchange 2003
    March / April - CCA. Either Xenapp on Windows 2003 or CAGEE
    July / August - MCITP:EA upgrade exam
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    CWTS - I'm going to try and finish this off in January
    Server+ - Just kind of want this cert
    BlackBerry Certified Sys Admin - I got a free voucher, and passed the last 2 tests with min studying
    CCDA - Cisco is what I like/work with the most.

CWNA - Depending how I feel after the CWTS
    Project+/ITIL - Thinking about these but not too sure.

I might look into a B.S. degree this year.. Just not sure if it's really worth it.. Besides I still want to wrangle up a few more of these low-level certs...

Should be enough to keep me busy next year.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • hill1221hill1221 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    70-299 to reinstate MCSAS
    70-293 and 70-294 to upgrade to MCSES

Maybe CEH.
    I make technology work for people, not people work for technology!
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    Here's my current plan for 2011, we'll see how it goes:

1) 70-299 (for MCSE: Security): Have failed this one twice
    2) 70-284 (for MCSE: Messaging): Currently studying for this
    3) 70-285 (for MCSE: Messaging): Currently studying for this
    4) VCP
    5) Upgrade MCSE to MCITP: SA and MCITP: EA
    6) CWTS/CWNA/CWSP
  • ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Here we go all in order.

I'm sure I can do the first 3 all in January.

MCTS: 70-640
    MCITP: EDST 70-685
    MCITP: EDA 70-686
    MCITP: SA 70-646
    MCTS: 70-643
    MCITP: EA 70-647
    MCTS: 70-659
    MCTS: 70-662
    MCITP: EMA 70-663

If I have time, I'll look at these:

MCTS: 70-664
    MCITP: LSA 70-665
    MCTS: 70-403
    MCTS: 70-669
    MCITP: VA 70-693
    MCTS: 70-157
    MCTS: 70-158
    MCTS: 70-159

If I some how magically achieve those, then I'll go back to Cisco stuff and work on the following:

CCDA
    CCNA-V
    ROUTE
    SWITCH
    TSHOOT
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I am a new comer in IT Certification. Although I have been working in IT for quite some years, it's a shame that I didn't push myself to get certified. However, I wish make a change.

Here's my plan for preparing for certification in 2011 :

1) MCSA 2003 (Q1, Q2)
    2) MCSE 2003 (Q2, Q3)
    3) MCTS Exchange Server 2007 (Q1, Q2)
    4) CCNA - ICND 1 (Q1, Q2), ICND 2 (Q3, Q4)

Currently I am working on exams :

a) 70-270
    b) 640-822

I may change my plan according to my progress along the way.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    getting ready to order the Sybex MCDST book
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm taking the 70-293 in two weeks, but I really need to quicken my pace on these things if I'm going to enroll at WGU. Looking at my transcript, I did 270 in 2007 then 290 in 2009 and 291 in 2010 (would've done 293 last week but our one test center has been booked for awhile now). I'd like to finish the MCSE within a few months and get started on upgrading it to the MCITP:EA. After that, it's on to WGU and all the stuff that I have to do with them.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My plans for 2011 are a bit up in the air. Here is my current plan that will likely change... and I don't feel like updating my signature again...

January 2011: CCNA Security, SNRS
    February 2011: SNAF, SNAA
    March 2011: IPS, 70-284 and 70-285
    May 2011: CEH and graduate with Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity.
    June/July 2011: Begin next graduate certificate that adds on to my existing and will ultimately earn me an MS in Cybersecurity.

After that... who know. I should probably do PMP after having all of these technical certifications, which will be good to get prior to starting my MBA in 2012, as the MBA will count towards PMP PDUs and CISSP CPEs and whatever they are for CEH.

Maybe begin studying for CCIE Security or MCM Active Directory...
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    arwes wrote: »
    I'm taking the 70-293 in two weeks, but I really need to quicken my pace on these things if I'm going to enroll at WGU. Looking at my transcript, I did 270 in 2007 then 290 in 2009 and 291 in 2010 (would've done 293 last week but our one test center has been booked for awhile now). I'd like to finish the MCSE within a few months and get started on upgrading it to the MCITP:EA. After that, it's on to WGU and all the stuff that I have to do with them.

Yeah, you really should have pushed for those more closely. The core four exams have a huge amount of overlap. If you have been taking that pace to write your exams, have you been getting experience? I think that will play a huge role in your success. The 2003 exams really seemed to come more naturally than the 2000 exams. The 2008 exams almost feel as if Microsoft didn't care if you use Windows... just know the generic concepts that can apply outside of Windows, as well (to a degree, obviously).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, so my plans for 2011 are:
    (All plans are subject to change without prior notice)

Finish my AS degree in Computer Networking & Administration (2 classes)
    70-272 (finish my MCDST)
    70-290
    70-291
    70-? (for the client exam)
    ICND1

That should be more than enough for me, considering I only got 3 certs for 2010.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Armor149 wrote: »

70-272 (finish my MCDST)
    70-290
    70-291
    ICND1

That should be more than enough for me, considering I only got 3 certs for 2010.

Yeah but you are getting a nice AAS degree! That is worth more than most certifications by themselves.

Nice work!
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Armor149 wrote: »

70-272 (finish my MCDST)
    70-290
    70-291
    ICND1

what are you using for your MCDST?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Certs:
    January: CEH/NDA
    March: CCNA
    May: CISSP
    June: VCP 4
    August: CHFI
    October: RHCSA > RHCE Attempt
    November: G7799

Degree:
    December: MS:ISA (May slide due to job requirements)
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    chopsticks wrote: »
    Here's my plan for preparing for certification in 2011 :

1) MCSA 2003 (Q1, Q2)
    2) MCSE 2003 (Q2, Q3)
    3) MCTS Exchange Server 2007 (Q1, Q2)
    4) CCNA - ICND 1 (Q1, Q2), ICND 2 (Q3, Q4)

Currently I am working on exams :

a) 70-270
    b) 640-822

Just as a suggestion, you may want to forego the 70-270 and replace with a Win7 exam. This way you can use it for when upgrading your MCSA/E to the MCITP. Or maybe not even bother with the MCSE and head straight for hte MCITP.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Just as a suggestion, you may want to forego the 70-270 and replace with a Win7 exam. This way you can use it for when upgrading your MCSA/E to the MCITP. Or maybe not even bother with the MCSE and head straight for hte MCITP.

Hi mikedisd2, thanks for your suggestion. :D

I may not be able to do so as I have signed up the MCSA course & the subsequent MCSA-to-MCSE upgrade course in my country, and unfortunately, Win XP is still being one part of the modules in MCSA (even my course instructor is wondering why are we still taking Win XP and the MCSA/MCSE route, instead of MCITP:SA or MCITP:EA path).

The main reason for doing so is due largely to our government is still funding on these "legacy" courses, while the newer ones have not been affirmed yet. So I also don't think I can negotiate for a change for this Win XP module to a Win 7 one, because it's already linked with govt funding for these courses. So I guess I will have to bite the bullet and go through it, once and for all.