Options

2011 Certification Plans

Comments

• Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    ipchain wrote: »
    I can't really speak for WGU since I am not familiar with it. I chose Capella mainly because the M.S Information Assurance and Security specialization was built around the domains of CISSP. In addition, Capella has also been designated a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAEIAE) by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

I simply found the above very attractive back then when I was searching for the 'right' school to attend to.
    that sounds good but tuition looks really pricey
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    no MCDST?

Mike I decided to pass up on it. I have a lot of experience with XP so I am going to focus on 7
  • Options
    ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    that sounds good but tuition looks really pricey

I hear you. I am only doing it because my employer is paying for 1/2 of it. I will only be responsible for paying about 13k, which is not bad for a M.S degree if you asked me.
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • Options
    Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok so here are my plans for 2011.

1. Project+ January 17th
    2. CIW Web Foundations January 20th
    3. Start WGU February 1st.
    4. Finish 37 CUs by July All the crap classes
    5. Finish the rest of the CUs about 38 or so. Finally finishing college after 11 years.
    6. Lose 30 lbs.
    7. Get a new job other than a service desk position that only pays 20K a year and is in networking.

Goals for 2012.
    1. CCNA
    2. CCNA:S
    3. MS:IT Security.

I think it's do able I don't think I'm overreaching. I just need to get this done asap.
    Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

On the list for January 2011
    Project+ and CIW Foundations.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    My certification plans for 2011 are getting my MCP by the end of January then deciding whether to pursue MCSA/MCSE or MCDST next.

if you decide to go MCDST, I just finished the Sybex book and found it a quick read.... I haven't had the test yet, but I feel good about it... and if I got the "Deluxe" edition... i know what you're thinking, lettuce tomato, onions, that's what makes it deluxe, but no, it actually comes with a cd full of practice tests, which I find very helpful
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've totally changed my plans. Since it looks like SQL Server 2011 is going to be released soon and I have the DBA certs on 2005 and 2008 I am going to focus on passing the beta certification exams when they come out (DBA and Developer - not BI). I believe that will be in late 2011/early 2012. So I am abandoning the rest of the 2008 certs currently in my sig.

After that I am going to focus on the SQL Server MCM with a goal of attaining MCM on SQL Server 2014 (or whatever the next release will be).
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just going off the certs required for the MSISA Degree.
    EC-Council Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures (EC0-350) March 1st
    EC-Council Disaster Recovery Professional Exam (312-76)April 15th
    EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC0-349) June 1st
    GIAC G7799 Sometime in June or July
    The rest of the classes required to finish this degree.

Work requirements:
    Commvault training, SNIA or EMC foundations exam, 70-647 exam and whatever else they want to send me to.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ipchain wrote: »
    I hear you. I am only doing it because my employer is paying for 1/2 of it. I will only be responsible for paying about 13k, which is not bad for a M.S degree if you asked me.

I prefer the $9,500 route at WGU and getting my employer to pay for all of it. =)
    WGU is working on the "National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAEIAE) by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)" and from what I hear it is supposed to happen this year or early next year. Have to double check with my mentor or Veritas.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    azjag wrote: »
    I prefer the $9,500 route at WGU and getting my employer to pay for all of it. =)
    WGU is working on the "National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAEIAE) by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)" and from what I hear it is supposed to happen this year or early next year. Have to double check with my mentor or Veritas.

I heard this year, but don't quote me on it.
  • Options
    UncleSimitUncleSimit Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

June: A+
    November: Network+

January: Already completed/passed Semester 1 for the CCNA

March/April: Maybe 70-685

June: 70-680 (70-685 shortly after if not already done and/or possibly 70-686)

Before the year is out: pass CCENT and start or have already started 70-642
  • Options
    ricky0481ricky0481 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    after being off the certifications world i came back during my xmas vacations with A+ Sec+ and MCTS:640 and to start the year MCTS:642 last saturday. im trying to get ready to attempt MCITP:646 this saturday.
    if i pass 646 next on schedule is:

CCENT -> CCNA
    then
    CWNA
    then
    ITILV3
    if my employer pays the training VCP4(hoping they do:)) if not then
    might finish the year attempting for CISSP or MCITP:EA but almost sure is the later.

all of that + College + Full time work + a 1 1/2 years old kid touching my lab gear :)
  • Options
    SilverGeniusSilverGenius Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lets see.......
    April/May - CCENT -> CCNA
    Summer - MCITP:SA (perhaps)
    Fall - College classes, hopefully I will graduate Spring 2012 with an A.A.S in Network and Systems Administration

Possibly look into some sort of security certification.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    Have to's (for work): ITIL v3

Will probably Finish: CCNP

Want to get: Sonicwall or HP Procurve certs
  • Options
    shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Picking it up now, 90 pages and counting...
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    chopsticks wrote: »

Here's my plan for preparing for certification in 2011 :

1) MCSA 2003 (Q1, Q2)
    2) MCSE 2003 (Q2, Q3)
    3) MCTS Exchange Server 2007 (Q1, Q2)
    4) CCNA - ICND 1 (Q1, Q2), ICND 2 (Q3, Q4)

Currently I am working on exams :

a) 70-270
    b) 640-822

I may change my plan according to my progress along the way.

So far, my study plan is progressing well.

Classes

Just completed classes on ICND 1 & ICND 2

One more module to go to finish off the MCSA 2003 class

Will complete my first module for Exchange 2007 class by this coming monday, leaving 3 more modules to go

Going to start the MCSE 2003 class this coming week on Thursday

Exam

I am now intensively preparing for 70-270 exam and have sent my exam booking request, now awaiting for confirmation.

That's about all for now :)
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've finally gotten into the studying frame of mind and I think I'm ready to book the ICND2 exam, which I should have done a year ago. If I can pass that I'm diving straight into 70-649, which I should have done a year ago. At last, getting back into the swing of things that made 2009 so memorable.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    stuh84 wrote: »
    This is going to have to be updated a bit. I've had a few job applications get turned down due to lack of Microsoft Server knowledge (why the hell they call it a Networking job if its sys admin I dont know, but thats HR departments for you...), so once I've completed the CCIP, I'm probably gonna get on with the MCITP:SA, at the same time as studying for the CCIE:R&S written. I still hope to have the written done by the end of next year, but we shall see.

I think the Linux and Juniper stuff is going to have to go out of the window for now...

Thankfully I never had to go down the MCITP route. I'm finding more networking jobs pop up (still not getting them, but thats due to other issues). I got another Juniper one done, and I'm getting on with the second exam (technically third if you count the BSCI, but I would have had that if I didn't go for the CCIP) of the CCIP, and I aim to be getting the CCIE Written done by the end of the year. This year is on track with what I'm hoping thankfully (certification/knowledge-wise anyway)
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I think for 2011 my plans are to get a CCENT by the summer and get an A+ and/or Network+. More than likely the latter 2 will change.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    dingopupsdingopups Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will be going for 70-431, 70-443 and 70-444 as they are required for my degree. I will also be taking the CISSP exam in July. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone, I’m rather new to the forum. Sorry for the long post – this is sort of an introduction too. I haven’t really made too many posts here because I haven’t been active in pursuing certifications since 2002 when I got my MCP for Windows 2000 Professional, that was just after graduating from grad school.

For the past 6 years I’ve been a Senior Tech Support analyst for a Healthcare company. I’ve been supervising level 1 support, doing training for employees, technical writing, general application support, contributing to software projects, and basically a whole mix of various duties. My job title doesn’t necessarily always go with what I’m working on. I really want to get into a project management role. I’ve been a subject matter expert for several projects at the company and have lead small projects and teams of temp employees here, but I really want to find a role as a full time project manager.

I began the year studying for the CAPM or PMP exam, thinking at least I could get the CAPM and/or Project+ but the more I’ve been studying and reading up on requirements, the more I’m thinking that I probably do qualify for the PMP. I’m a little nervous about that, but I’m going to continue studying as if I’m taking the PMP. I got my PMI membership a couple weeks ago, and in a few more weeks I’ll probably apply for and schedule the PMP test for some time in the reasonable future.

Right now I’m about halfway through the PMBOK. The material is rather dry, but I’m doing well on the practice tests. There is still a lot of studying and educational hours to put in.

After that, I’m not sure what to pursue next. I’ll probably go for MS exam 70-632 (MS Project 2007), and then maybe the full MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Microsoft Office Project Server 2007 (70-632, 70-633, 70-634). I’m not sure if that’s really necessary for what I want to do, but whatever helps.
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just dawned on me that it was time to compare my 2010 goals to what I actually did. My main goal in 2010 was to get a better job, most likely doing AD administration so I tailored my cert plans towards reaching that goal. I already had my MCSA and was planning on getting MCSE and upgrading to MCITP:EA.

70-293, 70-294 MCSE goal met.
    70-680, 70-647, 70-649 MCITP goal met

At that point all of my short-term goals were met and along came a very good job posting that I applied for. In the meantime, I finished my CCNA, which completely changed the direction I thought I was headed. I got the job, and the supervisor wanted to place me in a Cisco role vs a Microsoft one since they were looking for some more help on that side and had covered their bases on the MS side. So that completely changed the direction I was headed for certs. I dropped all plans for any more MS certs and am now heading down the Cisco path. Based on what I do at my job and what we have coming down the pipeline, Security & Voice would be best for my employer's needs. So my goals for 2011 are:

CCNA: Security (2 weeks or so from now)
    CCNP: R&S
    CCNP: Security
    CCNA: Voice

9 months, 9 exams, $1,700 dollars + training costs and time.

The good thing is, between GNS3 and all the gear I have access to at work, I don't see the need to buy a lab anymore. We have tons of spare switches from 2960 to 3750. A lot of the stuff I see on the Security path is stuff I work with every day so that should help. We're also supposed to be getting a subscription to CBTNuggets at work, which can't hurt.

Oh, and one of these days I really plan to sit down and learn Linux. Been saying that since about 2002 though.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    CWTS - I'm going to try and finish this off in January
    Server+ - Just kind of want this cert
    BlackBerry Certified Sys Admin - I got a free voucher, and passed the last 2 tests with min studying
    CCDA - Cisco is what I like/work with the most.

CWNA - Depending how I feel after the CWTS
    Project+/ITIL - Thinking about these but not too sure.

Well, I've knocked out the CCDA and CWTS. Not sure what to do next left with:

Server+
    Project+
    BlackBerry Certified Sys Admin
    ITILv3 Foundation
    CWNA

I'm leaning towards CWNA.. Mainly because the CWTS was a cake walk and it should be the most worthwhile out all of those..

I've been considering the WCNA for Wireshark.... but I see no demand for it all, no mention at all anywhere other then from Wireshark. I think I might just get the book and read for the knowledge I mean wireshark is an awesome tool after learning it bit more I'm sure it will be even more useful. (Any opinions on that from anyone?)

Of course I am trying to get some more money so I might be changing jobs which will alter my certification goals.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Jay The HackerJay The Hacker Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i only got an IT diploma for now and here's my plan

- Security+ ......................by the end of 2011

- CCNA ...............................................2012

- my degree ........................................2013

- 70-680 .............................................2014

- CEH .......................still far ... may be 2015 ^_^
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Well, I've knocked out the CCDA and CWTS. Not sure what to do next left with:

Server+
    Project+
    BlackBerry Certified Sys Admin
    ITILv3 Foundation
    CWNA

I'm leaning towards CWNA.. Mainly because the CWTS was a cake walk and it should be the most worthwhile out all of those..

I've been considering the WCNA for Wireshark.... but I see no demand for it all, no mention at all anywhere other then from Wireshark. I think I might just get the book and read for the knowledge I mean wireshark is an awesome tool after learning it bit more I'm sure it will be even more useful. (Any opinions on that from anyone?)

Of course I am trying to get some more money so I might be changing jobs which will alter my certification goals.

Agreed sounds like a good one to get. I also like that Blackberry one as well. Don't ask why just seems like a nice little addition to the resume.

As for me this year I have accomplished
    Server +
    Security +
    Project +
    Dell Laptop, Desktop, Printers, Switches

Currently working on ITIL Service Transition.

After that a well deserved break, I am worn out. I will probably round out the year with another ITIL certification and another process/framework certification. I am also writing a lot of SQL at home and work so I might take another crack at the 70-433

Other items I have been going over are Business Statistics and Finance. Honestly those two I will focus a lot on in the next few years. I might score me a metric SLA book as well.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My plans have changed as well:

2011 (In this order):
    1. C|EH
    2. CCNA:S
    3. LPIC-1
    4. CWTS
    5. Begin CISSP studies

I'm postponing graduate studies to 2012 :)

Update (June 2011): Pretty much ran along these lines but there are some minor changes:

2011:
    1. C|EH/C|NDA - Complete
    2. CCNA:S - Pushed to next year
    3. LPIC-1 - December 2011
    4. CWTS - Decided to just read the material
    5. Begin CISSP studies - Enroute; June 2011 - October 15 2011 (Test day)
    6. IACRB CPT - Complete
    7. Masters in Cybersecurity and Business Admin - Applying this fall for 2012.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yea. Work is making me in charge of the Win7/Server 2008 upgrades so...I guess I should lol. I think I am going to go the pure MCITP path as well (no MCSA upgrade). I might pick up an MCTS in SCCM as well since we are rolling that out. Sigh....lol

New goals:

MCITP:EA
    MCTS:7 and possibly SCCM
    WCNA
    GSEC
    C|EH

Damn. I $%^&^% up. Sigh guess that's why you shouldn't put make your plans so far in advanced. I will be starting a new job in a few weeks and they are heavy wireshark uses so I will picking up WCNA early next month. After that I will pick up the CWNA since they are doing free retakes and I have the material. After that i am doing more cisco, I am debating between picking up the CCNA:Wireless and CCDA or just going straight for switch. I have the material for all but the CCNA:Wireless so at least the material investment will be minimal. I probably will clean up the associates level certs and try to hit SWITCH this year. Should be doable given my forthcoming responsibilities and my new desires.

My non cert goals are to learn tcl and python and increase my linux knowledge
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Damn. I $%^&^% up. Sigh guess that's why you shouldn't put make your plans so far in advanced. I will be starting a new job in a few weeks and they are heavy wireshark uses so I will picking up WCNA early next month. After that I will pick up the CWNA since they are doing free retakes and I have the material. After that i am doing more cisco, I am debating between picking up the CCNA:Wireless and CCDA or just going straight for switch. I have the material for all but the CCNA:Wireless so at least the material investment will be minimal. I probably will clean up the associates level certs and try to hit SWITCH this year. Should be doable given my forthcoming responsibilities and my new desires.

My non cert goals are to learn tcl and python and increase my linux knowledge

I would forget the peripheral certs and knuckle down and do the CCNP if I was you. It sorts the men out from the boys.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Looks like my plans just got changed for me:

CCNA
    RHCA
    VCP4
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    I would forget the peripheral certs and knuckle down and do the CCNP if I was you. It sorts the men out from the boys.

You might be right. I am thinking about doing that. CCNP is a a major goal of mine.
    vCole wrote: »
    Looks like my plans just got changed for me:

CCNA
    RHCA
    VCP4

RHCA? Hardcore!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might be right. I am thinking about doing that. CCNP is a a major goal of mine.

Good man. Do that.