Options

Darril's Book

PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
Darril's Book is out of print? I tried to find it locally... tried 3 used book stores and a B&N. Wasn't at any of the used stores, and the B&N said it's out of print and they don't carry it anymore. I'm thinking at this point I will have to get the Kindle version for $10 and use that. Sucks, when I'm not taking practice tests, and am just STUDYING, I actually PREFER the actual book, but I guess I can manage to study from an eBook this time.

Comments

• Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Are you referring to this one? If so, Amazon looks to have it in stock.
  • Options
    I realize Amazon has the actual book in stock. I didn't want to order it and wait for it to be shipped, that's all.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    He self published the book so Amazon is probably the only place you'll find it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I realize Amazon has the actual book in stock. I didn't want to order it and wait for it to be shipped, that's all.

I had to order from Amazon because I could not find it as well. I would highly recommend getting it though. It is pretty much the main source I used to get my 845/900 score icon_lol.gif
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

There's always Amazon Prime....if you have a .edu email account (or have access to one....) you get the book in two days......

OTHERWISE, you can shell out $139-$189 and buy a Kindle....that's what I used to study for it. :) (To be fair, I didn't buy it....vendor swag FTW).
  • Options
    ajmatson wrote: »
    I had to order from Amazon because I could not find it as well. I would highly recommend getting it though. It is pretty much the main source I used to get my 845/900 score icon_lol.gif

I know im a heartbeat form just getting the kindle version. $10 is worthit for the practice questions alone. Maybe i can get my boss to give me an iPad so i can use it to study... HA!
  • Options
    K_RichK_Rich Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Kindle version works great for PC and I used this at work and on my laptop when I was mobile. But I also have the paperback copy. The $10 Kindle version was more of a convenience but at such a great price i could not pass it up.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i got it off of Amazon as well, no stores around me had it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mentioned this book to my boss and how i was on the fence for actual or eBook and he settled it for me, had the company buy it for me so we can add it to our library of reference and training books for any future employees that may want the cert or for just looking stuff up. Wont be here for a solid week probably, I didnt WANT to wait for it honestly, but I'm not in a HUGE hurry to get this exam taken so this should be fine.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Mentioned this book to my boss and how i was on the fence for actual or eBook and he settled it for me, had the company buy it for me so we can add it to our library of reference and training books for any future employees that may want the cert or for just looking stuff up. Wont be here for a solid week probably, I didnt WANT to wait for it honestly, but I'm not in a HUGE hurry to get this exam taken so this should be fine.

Trust me the wait is worth it. Like I said I passed it in about 4 weeks of little actual studying with this book. I read it through once and then skimmed it a second time. :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    redmossbergredmossberg Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I ordered it from amazon and it took a little over a week with the free shipping option.
    A.A.S. Computer Network Systems
    B.S. Information System Security
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That dude must be rich by now! :)

Hey Darril, how about a shout out to TE in your next edition?
  • Options
    newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    The book is way too expensive in Amazon UK.
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    newmove wrote: »
    The book is way too expensive in Amazon UK.

Not kidding. I ordered the book at nearly £35 from the US, but a month and a half later it never arrived so I am waiting for a refund. Needless to say I bought the Kindle version instead for approx £8, and this is great! Great book too. I can see why it gets the feedback it does.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    ajmatson wrote: »
    Trust me the wait is worth it. Like I said I passed it in about 4 weeks of little actual studying with this book. I read it through once and then skimmed it a second time. :)

I have not taken the exam yet, but I must agree this book is awesome. I am reading the Kindle version(PC App) and I am now officially on the Kindle Bandwagon.

Nevertheless, back to the book . I read the Sybex Sec+ book first, and yea I learned a lot, but I learned it in a way to where I just knew what the book said. I did not understand a few things completley, for the Sybex book was just to prim and proper, and over my head with the explanations. Derril uses common real life (SIMPLE) scanarios that has helped me understand everything completly that I did not understand in the Sybex book.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    Yeah ive kind of taken a bit of a break from studying, I am eagerly awaiting the book's arrival so I can really get a grip on this material. Though Crypto is really what has me baffled the most.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I plan on taking the security+ test on Thursday. Im glad everyone has mentioned this book as being a great resource. I have it and have been studying it for a couple of weeks. A lot of it seems like common sense, but a couple of things I have picked up on. Hopefully ill get a passing score on Thursday.
  • Options
    muckymuckmuckymuck Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I ordered my copy today. I got 2 day shipping because I didn't want to wait. It should be here Friday. I'm looking forward to going through it since it has such great reviews.
  • Options
    chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're having trouble getting the book, I just noticed on the bottom of the backside of the title page there it this statement:

"Visit BookSurge, part of the Amazon group of companies to order additional copies"
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If any of you are students, grab Amazon Prime for students. It's free, gives you 2-day shipping on all items stocked by Amazon (and their distributors), and 1-day shipping is 3.99 per item.

Amazon Student
  • Options
    I havent been a student in over 11 years... I dont remember getting quite so many breaks on software or books when I was though.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I havent been a student in over 11 years... I dont remember getting quite so many breaks on software or books when I was though.

Would you like some cheese with your whine?icon_lol.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    kidainnykidainny Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    best book i've used for a certification yet. i wonder if Darril sees these posts.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kidainny wrote: »
    best book i've used for a certification yet. i wonder if Darril sees these posts.

He does. He used to frequently surf the forums and congratulate his pupils when they passed. I haven't seen him around in about a month though. He is probably working on a new book or something.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    He does. He used to frequently surf the forums and congratulate his pupils when they passed. I haven't seen him around in about a month though. He is probably working on a new book or something.

I hope it's Project+: Get Certified Get Ahead!

I'm going to email him sometime soon and ask if he can get on that.....LOL.
  • Options
    kidainnykidainny Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Right down even to the font size - i mean it really makes a difference. I was flying through that book. It was just the right amount of information, and flowed smoothly. Plus hundreds of questions. How can you beat that?
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Would you like some cheese with your whine?icon_lol.gif

Actually, some honey Goat Cheese would be wonderful. On some wheat crackers, thanks.

I really can't wait to sink my teeth into this book. Should be here in a few days! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    jrdeleon1jrdeleon1 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I could not pass the Kindle 9.99 price up. Downloaded Kindle for PC to my netbook, bought the book, and am flying through it. Excellent read!
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    If any of you are students, grab Amazon Prime for students. It's free, gives you 2-day shipping on all items stocked by Amazon (and their distributors), and 1-day shipping is 3.99 per item.

Amazon Student

holy crap, I didn't know that... thanks dude.. amazon rules
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark