Options

Darril's Book

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    kidainny wrote: »
    Right down even to the font size - i mean it really makes a difference. I was flying through that book. It was just the right amount of information, and flowed smoothly. Plus hundreds of questions. How can you beat that?

agreed, the larger font is a much welcomed difference from the other books I am studying
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    holy crap, I didn't know that... thanks dude.. amazon rules

Yep, it is wonderful :)

And when my year is up, maybe I will be able to get another year since I have an address at a different school now. And a year after that, I'll probably be entering a 3rd school. icon_cheers.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Book arrived today! I will be starting it today for sure, and will probably still be able to easily meet my original goal of having the Exam passed by month end. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Book arrived today! I will be starting it today for sure, and will probably still be able to easily meet my original goal of having the Exam passed by month end. icon_cool.gif

Crack that thing open and get reading!icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I should be finished by Wednesday and then I am going to skim through it afterwards...I have exactly 2 weeks and counting...
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    In DGs book I read 7 chapters in two days (this past weekend) my brain was hurting by Sunday night 0_0

I made some silly mistakes but overall I kept getting 85% or above on each chapter exam which tells me that I am familiar with the topic. I plan to finish two more chapters tonight and then the last one tomorrow.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    higherho wrote: »
    In DGs book I read 7 chapters in two days (this past weekend) my brain was hurting by Sunday night 0_0

I made some silly mistakes but overall I kept getting 85% or above on each chapter exam which tells me that I am familiar with the topic. I plan to finish two more chapters tonight and then the last one tomorrow.

After tomorrow, when you're done with the final DG exam, schedule your exam and then just spend time lightly reviewing. You sound like you're just about ready.

If your brain is hurting...that means it's working... :)
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    After tomorrow, when you're done with the final DG exam, schedule your exam and then just spend time lightly reviewing. You sound like you're just about ready.

If your brain is hurting...that means it's working... :)

The test is scheduled for this Friday. I needed to get the cert by then (actually Monday would be Ideal. IF anything bad happened I would have 60 days to get it).

I agree. When I took a shower last night I was saying all the port numbers for memory, talked about logs, different protocols ,etc. It was crazy 0_0

what would you consider light reviewing? Just curious.

EDIT

I will also have all day Thursday to review.
  • Options
    Just cracked it open and spent the last hour or so going through the Assessment Test at the beginning of the book. Scored a 63% on that. A little disappointing but having not read the book yet I guess I can't complain too much.
  • Options
    I started on chapter 1 and did not notice the assessment test in the beginning.
  • Options

what would you consider light reviewing? Just curious.

First of all, I didn't even do the preassessment. Just read the book and did the final exam (I didn't want to worry about what was "the weakest" as it was safe to assume that it would be cryptography.

If my test is Friday, I would just do some skimming, as opposed to studying on Thursday. There is such a thing as information overload, and I didn't want to spend the day before cramming. IF anything I would do my cramming hours BEFORE I sit for the exam (which is why I take trains/ferries to my testing center instead of driving). Maybe do the preassessment...but not heavy-duty cramming.
  • Options
    First of all, I didn't even do the preassessment. Just read the book and did the final exam (I didn't want to worry about what was "the weakest" as it was safe to assume that it would be cryptography.

If my test is Friday, I would just do some skimming, as opposed to studying on Thursday. There is such a thing as information overload, and I didn't want to spend the day before cramming. IF anything I would do my cramming hours BEFORE I sit for the exam (which is why I take trains/ferries to my testing center instead of driving). Maybe do the preassessment...but not heavy-duty cramming.

O, I agree with you. I was planning on going through all the remember me parts or just the summary exam sections. Do you think thats to much?
  • Options
    I started on chapter 1 and did not notice the assessment test in the beginning.

I took the assessment, I scored 65 or 70%. I took that as a compliment. That I know more than half of the material with no prep.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I took the assessment, I scored 65 or 70%. I took that as a compliment. That I know more than half of the material with no prep.

yeah I guess that is the glass-half-full way of looking at it.
  • Options
    O, I agree with you. I was planning on going through all the remember me parts or just the summary exam sections. Do you think thats to much?

As long as it's just that, in addition to light reading. You don't want to spend more than an hour doing it....you want to relax on that day. Then do your blitzkrieg cramming the next day, hours before you exam.

Sounds like you're almost ready. :)
  • Options
    As long as it's just that, in addition to light reading. You don't want to spend more than an hour doing it....you want to relax on that day. Then do your blitzkrieg cramming the next day, hours before you exam.

Sounds like you're almost ready. :)

I thought you said cramming right before it is bad? :P

Yep, I can see the finish line :)
  • Options

I do cramming right before the test. I get there early (to avoid any stress of potentially being late) and so I kill the extra time sitting out in the car with any notes I've taken (which is usually like 8 pages or so) and my book so I can skim sections or chapters.

I've heard not to, but it hasn't steered me wrong yet. (But I usually find the stuff I was the most worried about doesn't show up. But it is better to be over prepared than under)
  • Options
    I do cramming right before the test. I get there early (to avoid any stress of potentially being late) and so I kill the extra time sitting out in the car with any notes I've taken (which is usually like 8 pages or so) and my book so I can skim sections or chapters.

I've heard not to, but it hasn't steered me wrong yet. (But I usually find the stuff I was the most worried about doesn't show up. But it is better to be over prepared than under)

I guess I will bring my book and put some bookmarks in and high light some stuff. I will mainly glance over the lowest scoring chapter I got on the chapter exams.

bbl! going to read chapter 8 and hopefully finish 9 tonight.
  • Options

Cramming the DAY BEFORE the exam is bad....

Cramming the few hours before, can be the difference between 865 and 870... :)
  • Options

What has generally worked for me is that I'll read/study. When I feel ready, I schedule. Will do some practice exams (For Security+ I should have saved my money on Transcenders....lol.....), then the day before an exam, I will just do some chillin'/relaxin'. My brain needs to absorb what I've been reading (at this point it's either I know it, or I don't). Then I cram the last couple/few hours before an exam.

Like you, I do subscribe to being overprepared. In Security+'s case...I definitely did. (Put it this way...A+ and Network+ were not exactly 97% scored like Security+ was....lmao). Then again, the cut score was like 500 something for either exams or some jazz.
  • Options
    superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't worry about scoring low on the pre-assessment. I personally thought it was difficult, but that's a good thing! Ensures you are ready and not taking easy practice tests.

I scored an 83% on the pre-assessment, but that was after reading All-In-One Sec+ start to finish and reviewing it a little bit. I was disappointed too, at first, thinking that was barely passing if it was representative of the real exam...but then again I realized, by taking that pre-assessment, reading Darril's book, and bumping that score way up, I can basically guarantee a pass on the first try. It's totally worth it.

Not to mention, Darril's book really does help clarify a few things for me that I barely grasped before. The All-In-One book is more detailed but sometimes it provides the details without the overview (even if the overview is all that is needed for sec+) - thus making the concept difficult to understand if you don't already know it. DGs book provides the overview which can really help clear things up.

Should be taking the test this upcoming saturday. I'm through 6 or 7 chapters in DGs book and will knock out the remainder these next couple days...they go by pretty quickly if you've looked at other material previously - just filling in the gaps.
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
  • Options
    Cramming the DAY BEFORE the exam is bad....

Cramming the few hours before, can be the difference between 865 and 870... :)

Ahh ic ic. Well I work from 8 to 12 that day and my test is at 1:00. I will bring my notes to work and read but I do not have a kindle icon_sad.gif then again I cannot bring my laptop or kindle or cell phone into my workplace.

Did you take the final exam right after you finished chapter 10?
  • Options
    Ahh ic ic. Well I work from 8 to 12 that day and my test is at 1:00. I will bring my notes to work and read but I do not have a kindle icon_sad.gif then again I cannot bring my laptop or kindle or cell phone into my workplace.

Did you take the final exam right after you finished chapter 10?

Not immediately after. I am pretty sure there was at least two days before I finsihed...I believe that on the day prior to the exam, the only thing I did was the "final" exam...then went to bed early. (Cause I had to leave early to get to NYC via train and ferry). Brought my kindle to go over some stuff. But I didn't want to cram the day before...I either knew it or I didn't, and if I didn't, then cramming that day was NOT going to help me. Better to do it a few hours prior anyhow.

On the final exam, I got 90 out of 100....that was good enough for me. :)
  • Options
    lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hey guys, kinda been ghosting on the forums for awhile but should probably participate more often:)

anyways, I just passed my MS 70-291 finally after 1 try and passed. My next step was to take 70-293 but I think I want to take the security cert before they instate the madatory 3yr renewal.

I have been seeing several references to this darryl gibson book and went to amazon. The kindle price for 10 bucks is hard to pass up in regards to the book. Is there any noticable differences vs the actual book? like is the practice exams only included when you buy the paperback or do you get that too for kindle edition? is there anything left out if i buy the kindle?

feedback much appreciated!
    Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
    Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)
  • Options
    lenell86 wrote: »
    hey guys, kinda been ghosting on the forums for awhile but should probably participate more often:)

anyways, I just passed my MS 70-291 finally after 1 try and passed. My next step was to take 70-293 but I think I want to take the security cert before they instate the madatory 3yr renewal.

I have been seeing several references to this darryl gibson book and went to amazon. The kindle price for 10 bucks is hard to pass up in regards to the book. Is there any noticable differences vs the actual book? like is the practice exams only included when you buy the paperback or do you get that too for kindle edition? is there anything left out if i buy the kindle?

feedback much appreciated!

I bought the Kindle version before it went down in price. LOL. The practice exams are the assessment (which I did not take), the end of chapter tests, and the "final" 100 question exam at the end of the book, that is very, very much like what the "real" exam is like. I took the end of chapter exams at the end of the book...scored well on them, and then took the final a couple of days after I was done with the whole book. Got 90% on it. Took Security+ the next day.

You don't need a separate CD or anything like that....the Kindle resource is really all you need. Not bad for $10. (No, I'm not kidding.)
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I bought the book from Amazon for like $37.00 or something. $10 for the kindle sounds like a good deal. I dont have a kindle, but I do have an iPad. I looked for the iPad version of the book, and it was listed around $25.00. So I just stuck with the physical book. I honestly only read a couple of chapters, and highlighted all of the answers in the back of the book. I ended up passing with a 791. I am sure I could have done better, but all I needed was a passing score.
  • Options
    Many people on these forums buy both. Personally I paid the $30 for the paper book and that was it. But if you are a person who likes to have both this book is still worth $40.
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I bought the book from Amazon for like $37.00 or something. $10 for the kindle sounds like a good deal. I dont have a kindle, but I do have an iPad. I looked for the iPad version of the book, and it was listed around $25.00.

Couldn't you have gotten the Kindle App on your little iPad and read the book that way? icon_lol.gif That would have only been $9.99 for you.
  • Options
    Many people on these forums buy both. Personally I paid the $30 for the paper book and that was it. But if you are a person who likes to have both this book is still worth $40.

They buy both, presumably, because the Kindle version they buy is for the PC app.

I actually have a Kindle device so I only needed that....was very comfortable to read. My collection of IT books is growing....I'm now reading Mastering Windows Server 2008 R2 on my Kindle. (Well, starting tonight).
  • Options
    Couldn't you have gotten the Kindle App on your little iPad and read the book that way? icon_lol.gif That would have only been $9.99 for you.

This! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□

I didnt know there was an app for that. I didnt buy the ebook version at all. I just stuck with the physical book, which I barely studied.