Options

Recovery Partition

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
So do anyone of you know how to make a recovery partition and set it so you can pretty an F key and the machine recover? I don't know why I am thinking about this, I was just curious. I found an article on how to make a recovery partition but not how to set that bios option.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Your BIOS even support it? I've never seen it on any generic PCs. Only branded ones which came with the recovery partition already.

You generally just set the partition type to whatever that particular BIOS wants. You'll have to look up what partition type it wants as not all of them want the same ID.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Your BIOS even support it? I've never seen it on any generic PCs. Only branded ones which came with the recovery partition already.

You generally just set the partition type to whatever that particular BIOS wants. You'll have to look up what partition type it wants as not all of them want the same ID.

I was just curious to see if it was even possible. But you are right, I have never seen it on generic PCs either.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know there are software for this kind of recovery that will have the recovery on a partition and all you need is to press F4 and you're good to go.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    first ya need ghost or some imaging software

next ya need a partition software

install windows/drivers

make an image of the drive to the recovery partition(normally 10gig partition size is good)

then install a bootloader to have an option to boot from recovery partition

most image software has a light version ya can install on the recovery partition to restore an image

its not that hard to do with symantic ghost
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The easiest way is to use Ghost or a similar program. They have the option to create a hidden partition with a customized image inside of it. They will also modify the boot loader to give you the option to boot into the partition and kick off the recovery.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I use Acronis True Image Home, and make a bootable thumb drive with the Acronis software and the drive image stored on the thumb drive. That way in the event I need to go back to the original install I can and then use my backups to get back the apps and data I need.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1