Options

Security + (books & practice materials)

a80lia80li Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am new here but thank you all for the nice posts! I read a lot about best materials for Sec+ but can you guys give me quick update on what is the best thing to get i.e books and practice materials.

icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    This the best place to start for the exam.

The book is an easy ready, has a pre assesment exam, chapter test, and final exam.... Comes in paperback or kindle.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/55077-comptia-security-get-certified-get-ahead-sy0-201-a.htmlicon_thumright.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    +1 for Darill's book, I passed it yesterday with 845/900 using pretty much only that book.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Link does not work?
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    ajmatson wrote: »
    +1 for Darill's book, I passed it yesterday with 845/900 using pretty much only that book.

Yup, +2 on Darrill's book.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies! What about practice materials?
    I bought Darill book and I totally agree with all of you that he did an excellent job, thanks Darill! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    a80li wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! What about practice materials?
    I bought Darill book and I totally agree with all of you that he did an excellent job, thanks Darill! icon_cheers.gif

Trust me, I had both Labsim and Transcenders....Darril's book is all you need.

@^ about Darril not including a CD with practice exams. I wondered how lazy are you to open up Notepad and jot your answers (or perhaps real "old school" and get a notebook and put down your answers there based on chapters...).

My point is, you don't need anything else other than Darril's book to pass this exam. Trust and believe that.
  • Options
    Hi Again,

Thanks for the reply! I am reading DB at the moment, I also tried the free version of prep logic (just to learn more stuff about Sec+).
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    a80li wrote: »
    Hi Again,

Thanks for the reply! I am reading DB at the moment, I also tried the free version of prep logic (just to learn more stuff about Sec+).

"DB" when I used it was not referring to Darril. I was referring to a jerk who complained about Darril not including a CD as part of his book.

My advice is if you are using Darril's book to focus your studies on that and do the chapter exams. If you feel the need to expand on something you want clarification on, google and wiki are your friend in that regard. (Except for the "Rayburn Box...." LMAO [you'll know what I mean when you get to cryptography]).

Believe me, if you can go through that book and get most of the answers right in the chapter exams AND the final, you should consider yourself good to go.
  • Options
    DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im using Darrils book as my only source of studying, i was looking at preplogics practice exams and wondering if they are good practice questions for the exam?