Options

Interview

So,

I may have an interview coming up soon and it is for a Junior Network engineer position.
My question is, what kind of speed and duplex questions should I expect to be asked of me?

If you could follow up your questions with an explanation as well so I may learn? I would be very grateful.
Eating humble pie.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've never been asked a question about speed/duplex in an interview. If I was to ask someone I'd probably ask something like the following.

You have two Fast Ethernet interfaces on a switch connected together. One side is set to 100/Full and the other is set to auto negotiate. What will both sides settle on and why?

I'd be looking for an answer that mentions speed can be negotiated even when one side is hard set, and that negotiation will fall back to half duplex.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interviewers usually don't ask generic abstract questions like cabling unless its a super low-level job. More than likely you'll be asked more real-world type questions. Examples would be "given X situation what would you do?"
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Thanks guys, that helps. I know for a fact they will be asking questions like that because I got a heads up.

Any articles you guys suggest that I read up on regarding this?
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks guys, that helps. I know for a fact they will be asking questions like that because I got a heads up.

Any articles you guys suggest that I read up on regarding this?

I think that with you networking certs you will be fine. Maybe brushing off the old CCNA book or going through some wikipedia articles.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I really don't think there is too much to know about duplex and speeds. There are two duplex settings and 2 commonly used speed settings. Just know how speed and duplex negotiation work when set to auto.