Options

Roas

CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
Hi,

Just a quick question, according to chris bryant a Fast Ethernet(or better) interface is needed for ROAS. I was buying some cisco stuff from ebay and got a 2610 with ethernet and expecting ROAS not to work, but it does (although its depressingly slow speed, but its only for labbing). Im assuming this is just down to the IOS (12.2).

Can anyone clear this point up for me, is Fa a "requirement" or just a recommendation?

Thanks
[CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    it used to be a requirement, Ethernet interfaces didn't used to support dot1q, but Cisco did some IOS voodoo that allowed it to function
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are 2 exceptions to the "requirement"

The "general rule" is that you need at least a 100Mb interface.... (and an IOS feature set with the trunking support)

except the 1720 with 100Mb Fast Ethernet doesn't support trunking

except the 261x 10Mb Ethernet with a 12.2( 8 ) T and IP Plus or greater IOS does support trunking
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    As far as the CCNA exam goes, there is no exception right? The 100mb requirement is just that, a "requirement".
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wbosher wrote: »
    As far as the CCNA exam goes, there is no exeption right? The 100mb requirement is just that, a "requirement".
    We were taught the "100Mb rule" in the old CCNA Network Academy (back in the 640-801 days) even though the 2 exceptions existed back then.....

Since you know "the rule" I'd stick with it for exam purposes (if there is no mention of exceptions) -- especially since Cisco has more important real exam topics they can rake you over the coals with... icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for clearing it up, i'll just ignore the fact that it works on 10Mb for the exam then.
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    This will be the first of many 'but Cisco lied to me in the exam material!' moments you experience if you continue down the path