Options

Router for CCNA:S Studies

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I was just after some advice for purchasing a Cisco router for my CCNA Security study's. I'm looking for a router that supports SDM, Zone based Firewall, IPS and VPN's. The models I have come up with are below just wondered what people think were suitable.

Cisco 837 these seem quite cheap on ebay
Cisco 877 lan wired

Are there any other models or will either of these suffice?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    I used a 2650XM. Keep in mind you also need an IOS that supports all of the features that you are looking for. Many of the older routers are running 12.0-12.3 and that won't cut it.
  • Options
    JSK wrote: »
    I used a 2650XM. Keep in mind you also need an IOS that supports all of the features that you are looking for. Many of the older routers are running 12.0-12.3 and that won't cut it.

I have just started hunting round and Im considering buying a lab of ebay as I will need this as I progress in my studies. Just means shelling out more of a whack for kit. This lab looks good just need to check it supports everything

Cisco Lab CCNA CCNP ( 2950 2620XM 2924 Router Switch ) on eBay (end time 30-Oct-10 22:01:00 BST)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need a router that will run at least 12.4(9)T or 12.4(11)T Advanced Security -- or greater version/feature set.

The 1721 routers can be found for around $50 (with power brick) and have the advantage that you can use the IOS with Dynamips (and Dynagen/GNS3). The 2600XM routers (with the max memory and biggest/baddest IOS version/feature set) can be found for under $100 if you bid patiently (or someone is cleaning out their warehouse and you get lucky with a Buy-It-Now) -- and the IOS is also supported by Dynamips.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You need a router that will run at least 12.4(9)T or 12.4(11)T Advanced Security -- or greater version/feature set.

The 1721 routers can be found for around $50 (with power brick) and have the advantage that you can use the IOS with Dynamips (and Dynagen/GNS3). The 2600XM routers (with the max memory and biggest/baddest IOS version/feature set) can be found for under $100 if you bid patiently (or someone is cleaning out their warehouse and you get lucky with a Buy-It-Now) -- and the IOS is also supported by Dynamips.

Cool thanks for the advice Mike. I will have a look on ebay and see what I can rustle up. How many routers and switches do you think will sufficent for a lab. Would two routers and a switch suffice do you think?
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    cjthedj45 wrote: »
    Would two routers and a switch suffice do you think?

this was all i used for the exam. that should definitely be all you need.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree -- Two Routers (or Dynamips) and a Switch seem to be all you need to cover the topics in the exam blueprint.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!