Options

A+ Quick Question

venominatorvenominator Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everybody,

I took the A+ Essentials (601) test last year, and recently found out the IT Technician test (602) has retired, and already finished studying for it. I was wondering, does that make my 601 useless now and that I have to take 701 and 702 to get certified?

Comments

• Options
    chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's useless in counting toward the A+. However, hopefully you learned a lot in preparing and so that knowledge is useful :). There is so much overlap in the two parts that I always recommend just studying the material together as if it were one giant test rather than two smaller ones. Many people take them both very close to each other (some on the same day, what masochists icon_lol.gif). Personally, I took one on a Friday, reviewed/refreshed on the weekend and took the other on Monday (or maybe Tuesday, I forgot). Good luck and sorry that you didn't finish both parts earlier. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    So basically I wasted $265? Does doing the bridge exam then the other exam not help me?

EDIT: Also, can I still get college credit for the A+ Essentials exam I already have completed?
  • Options
    matt79matt79 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    chuckles wrote: »
    It's useless in counting toward the A+. However, hopefully you learned a lot in preparing and so that knowledge is useful :). There is so much overlap in the two parts that I always recommend just studying the material together as if it were one giant test rather than two smaller ones. Many people take them both very close to each other (some on the same day, what masochists icon_lol.gif). Personally, I took one on a Friday, reviewed/refreshed on the weekend and took the other on Monday (or maybe Tuesday, I forgot). Good luck and sorry that you didn't finish both parts earlier. icon_study.gif
    Haha I am doing the same thing. I took the essentials on Friday and it was so easy that I wish I had done both. But I am doing the second one in less than a week of the first one. Tons of overlap I think.icon_cheers.gif
    CCNA certified
    Network+ certified
    Security+ certified
    A+ certified
    CCNP in progress
    :study:
  • Options
    chuckles wrote: »

I started studying for it all over again. I plan on doing both on the same day.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    So basically I wasted $265? Does doing the bridge exam then the other exam not help me?

EDIT: Also, can I still get college credit for the A+ Essentials exam I already have completed?

You are asking questions to people who can only make a reasonable guess at the answer.

Typically, the bridge exam is for an A+ candidate. Since you didn't pass both your exams before they retired, you would not be a candidate. However, I do not represent CompTIA and this would be something you should call them on Monday and ask them for fact.

Similar response regarding your college credit. Only the school can answer your question. I would 'guess' NO as you didn't become an A+ candidate since you did not complete both exams, but you will need to contact the school on Monday and ask someone in the transfer/admissions or advisor department (whomever you currently speak with about credits) and they should best be able to answer your question.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I started studying for it all over again. I plan on doing both on the same day.

I recommend taking the exams the same day. Others suggest otherwise, but since you've passed one exam previously, I think you stand a good chance at getting this past you in one day.
    How much experience do you have in addition to your studies?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    I recommend taking the exams the same day. Others suggest otherwise, but since you've passed one exam previously, I think you stand a good chance at getting this past you in one day.
    How much experience do you have in addition to your studies?

Actually yes I am, I'm a Helpdesk Analyst Part-time while I'm in college. (College was the main reason I couldn't get my A+ finished with in the first place.)
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

Some of the community colleges in Washington will give you credit for the A+, provided you have taken both exams.
  • Options
    I just took the A+ 701 Essentials test and got an 842. I wasn't allowed to take the 702 right after, so I'm going to wait until next Saturday.
  • Options
    I just thought I'd let you guys know, I got an 807 on the Practical Application test.
  • Options
    chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on finally getting it done! I know it is a great feeling icon_thumright.gif

PS. Don't forget to update your certifications in your profile !!!