Options

Question about Switch for CCNA looking at the 2950

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
From what I gather the 2950 is the switch to have for the CCNA? I am looking on ebay and see that it is fairly cheap. Now my question is what should I look for in the switch, like what is the IOS you want? from my understanding there are regular IOS and enhanced IOS and you want the enterprise enhanced version? is that correct?

certain models such as the 2950T use the enhanced IOS?

also do the 2950's support the Cisco SDM?

I was looking at something like this, the 2950T Cisco Catalyst WS-C2950T-24 CCNA CCNP CCVP 2950 2950T - eBay (item 170549509839 end time Oct-16-10 09:37:02 PDT)

Would that be the switch I want?

Comments

• Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just powered on my 2950 for you. It appears to be an excellent start for the CCNA. This bin supports the SSH crytographic ability on mine.

The guy is asking for $150 for the unit + $24 for shipping... almost sounds like you could bump into a local reseller and atleast have a 1 year warranty with it. It almost sounds like if you look hard, real hard, you'll find someone real desperate to get rid of their equipment at a better price. I paid about what they're asking for for mine ~ but I just think there's potential for a better bargain out there than that specialized dealer.

Here's my version info:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6K2L2Q4-M), Version 12.1(22)EA12, RELEASE SOFTWA
    RE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 08-Jul-08 00:03 by amvarma
    Image text-base: 0x80010000, data-base: 0x80680000
    ROM: Bootstrap program is C2950 boot loader
    2600Switch uptime is 0 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:/c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA12.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
    States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
    use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
    third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
    Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
    compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
    agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
    to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    The guy wants 150 for a 2950 switch? That's pretty steep unless I'm missing something. I picked up a 2950C 24 port for 40 to my door.

Also if you have a cisco.com login (free to get) you can download switch IOS' for free unlike router IOS.

Happy shopping! There really is something special about when your new toys arrive in the mail. that's also when my wife realizes she really did marry a geek!

EDIT: I just did an eBay search and found a bunch of 2950's for between 20-75 bucks....
  • Options
    tha_dub wrote: »
    The guy wants 150 for a 2950 switch? That's pretty steep unless I'm missing something. I picked up a 2950C 24 port for 40 to my door.

Also if you have a cisco.com login (free to get) you can download switch IOS' for free unlike router IOS.

Happy shopping! There really is something special about when your new toys arrive in the mail. that's also when my wife realizes she really did marry a geek!

EDIT: I just did an eBay search and found a bunch of 2950's for between 20-75 bucks....

But I want one that supports the Enhanced IOS correct?

What should I know when search for the 2950's? there are many different ones.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    mark076h wrote: »
    But I want one that supports the Enhanced IOS correct?

What should I know when search for the 2950's? there are many different ones.

Here is a pretty good explanation straight from Cisco....Looks like the standard flavor 2950 switches, (no gig ports or fiber ports or gbic connectors run only the standard)

Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches with Enhanced Image SW [Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

In my opinion for CCNA the standard IOS will get the job done....(I would not pay double the price for an enhanced version.)

Also for CCNA, you are going to want at least 2 and possible 3 switches. So be smart and buy several for cheap, you can always resell them for close the same price if and when you are done with them.icon_thumright.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    I agree with the other post here, I bought my 2950's for $50 each. But if I was going to pay $150 and wanted extra functionality I would skip the 2950's and go with 3550's.

I have (3) 2950's and a 3524 in my rack now, but I want to change it out a bit and end up with (2) 2950's and (2) 3550-24s ultimately.
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    yup, $150 seems high. I just got a new 2950 24 for $70. I'll say keep looking on ebay and you'll find one with the decent price.
  • Options
    thanks for the info, any 2950 that supports the Enhanced IOS is good. and the list of supported models is here. Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches with Enhanced Image SW [Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems