Options

Passed the CWSP after 20 Days of Study

Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
Man that was a surprisingly tough test! I would put it at about a five in difficulty.

Earned an 80%

The score was dragged down by one section which I really did not study much. I looked at the % breakdown of the test according to the CWNP Exam Blueprint and focused on those sections and tried to truly understand 802.1X/EAP, the 4-Way Handshake and FT.

Subject Area: % Correct
Wireless Network Attacks and Threat Assessment 57%
Monitoring and Management 85%
Security Design and Architecture 80%
Security Policy 100%
Fast Secure Roaming 75%

Study Material:
www.OnlineExpert.com videos - The videos are not as good as the CWNA videos but still decent.
The Official CWSP Study Guide - Easy to read but not well laid out with a lot of errors
The CWNA/CWSP All-In-One Guide - This is a useful book for a second source but a little weak on Technical Information for security. It was obviously written without comparing it to the new exam.
Degrees:
M.S. Information Security and Assurance
B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome man! What's next up for you?
  • Options
    Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    Nice job m8! I've heard this one is no walk in the park. Might take a crack at it several years from now.
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I am currently working on my CEH and CCNA. The CEH should be done in mid-November and the CCNA some time next spring.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Wow good job! My attempt is tomorrow @ 11:30am so I will brush up tonight on 802.1x and EAP classes
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Hey, congratz on the pass! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks!
    Degrees:
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    Deltah_Deltah_ Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well..I failed CWSP today...first exam that I do not passed since my 4 years of studying..maybe I was not taking seriously the exam...it's like a slap in the face!

I will try again in the next month, be sure to understand where I failed the most!
  • Options
    It is an exam you have to respect to pass that is for sure. Sorry to hear of your failure and best of luck with your next shot.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass Chris:/*!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thanks gamer!
    Degrees:
  • Options
    iVictoriVictor Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Chris, just came across your post while looking for info on CWSP. Congrats to you first.! :)

I know it's been quite a while, but can you put some pointers on CWSP prep and quality of curricula.? How different / unique is this cert from other vendors say, Cisco?

And were the official study guides sufficient for preparation?

./Victor
    This is the Right Time
  • Options
    Hey iVictor,

Thanks for the congrats. With your background knowledge in Cisco you will do fine using the official study guides. If you have any background in RF that would help as well. I used Wikis and other knowledge arenas for tertiary sources of info to clear up confusion.

The CWNP certs focus heavily on theory and standard/service/protocol execution. I believe they are more theory intense than the Cisco ones. I say that as I tutor Cisco Discovery now and I am currently working on my CCNA when I get down time. That being said the material does not concentrate on actual configuration or sub-netting, so many consider the CWNP exams slightly easier but it all depends on where you struggle.

Cheers Chris
    Degrees:
  • Options
    iVictoriVictor Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Chris. I've looked at the CWSP and the Cisco WLAN cert curricula. Where as CWSP has 2 exams to prepare for, and both of these cover the subject pretty well; Cisco has opted to have 4-5 exam subjects. Perhaps there is much more to Wireless study that Cisco is covering than CWSP, it appears.

I've had played in wireless assessments and not so entertaining offline wlan design checks for a little while, and I think studying this can be useful in both aspects.

It's time to juice up the brain cells now! :)
    This is the Right Time