Options

1st job interview in the real world

johnosmadjohnosmad Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, this is going to sound kind of stupid probably but I have been in the British Army for the last 8 years and have never actually been to a real civilian interview, I have one tomorrow for a 1st line help desk job. I know its not exactly top of the pile job but its the 1st step in my new career and was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what to expect in a civilian IT job interview. For example are they likely to test me in any way etc.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey johnosmad,

Welcome to the boards!

First of all thank you for making me extremely proud as a British citizen. I think highly of the British service men/women of our small but great island and that view will never change. The British army is highly revered all over the world and I am sure you will get great feedback from members of this board.

As this position is 1st line support they will more than likely test you on some phone troubleshooting skills/people management. As you will be picking up the call first they will be very interested in how you deal with people. They will more than likely ask you to do an aptitude test, this is pretty standard. How is your desktop experience? Can you fix your own pc at home for example hardware and software type issues?

Most of all, good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For help desk, I recommend being as friendly/personable as possible. They're testing your customer service skills during the whole interview... even when they're asking technical questions. Best of luck with your interview!
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for serving, the UK has always been a valued allie and the people who serve her are what makes that happen!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    kidainnykidainny Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Always remember as well. If you get the interview - in their mind you're already qualified or they wouldn't wasting their/your time. It's more than half the battle. Like the previous stated: They're looking for the right "fit". Personality and customer skill sets are going to be key. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They may also try and verify your knowledge that is on paper. There area lot of people out there who bloat their resume with skills they do not have.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Arysta wrote: »
    For help desk, I recommend being as friendly/personable as possible. They're testing your customer service skills during the whole interview... even when they're asking technical questions. Best of luck with your interview!

x2, and be prepared for them to argue with you in an effort to get you flustered. Just stay calm...
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the help guys, I'm heading across town now for the interview. Its with a company called Bechtel, done a bit of research and they are a big old business, Ill let you know how it goes! icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good Luck.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    how did it go?
  • Options
    Hey, Never got the job but as i was walking home from the interview I got a call to go to an interview for the Flight Centre, got a 3 month initial contract with them so all is good, icon_lol.gif