Options

Linux Server market share increasing

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Linux Is on the Rise For Business - PCWorld Business Center

Read this in the CompTIA smart brief and found it interesting
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    If you use Xen, VMWARE, Android OS, most network monitoring appliances, and most firewalls - congratulations you are using linux.

I see these articles all the time. Most linux domains have a side-by-side AD / Exchange domain for everyone who is not a developer or web admin. Linux is great, but it wont shove Windows out of the business market.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Linux Is on the Rise For Business - PCWorld Business Center

Read this in the CompTIA smart brief and found it interesting

So maybe LPIC certs will increase in value. RH certs will become even more valuable. And novell...

Interesting article although it did sound a bit fanboyish
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bottom line from all this? There can no longer be any doubt--whatever detractors might claim, Linux is increasingly the best choice for business.

Um, clearly this is the conclusion that one takes from a high end estimate of 4.8% desktop market share. Totally written by a fanboy.

I would like to know how these questions were asked, because if there is a disconnect between the terminology of the question so that adding 'new Windows machines' is understood as physical and not virtual we might be seeing some skew in the data.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think services running off of Linux will become the norm since a lot of companies are investing money into porting their own Linux platform to run their software on so they can sell the device as well as the software.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    any company of decent size and with half a brain has been using some form of unix for years upon years, so this isn't really news so much as a cheerleading effort.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I think services running off of Linux will become the norm since a lot of companies are investing money into porting their own Linux platform to run their software on so they can sell the device as well as the software.

yeah, businesses have been discovering for years now that unix is really good as an appliance platform, and even better, they can sell you a VM image instead of actual hardware too!

And then there's the embedded device market. I was pleasantly surprised when a company I worked for years ago got new hand scanners for dealing with inventory, and when I turned mine on, it was booting SuSE
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    any company of decent size and with half a brain has been using some form of unix for years upon years, so this isn't really news so much as a cheerleading effort.

exactly this. Even as an infrastructure company for small to medium business we use linux boxes for web hosting, this will never change now. Linux works for so many different things, its widely accepted already. Market share is important for infrastructure since when? DO the users accessing your internal intranet site know you are running apache on CENTOS or IIS on Windows Server 2003....no they dont.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.