Options

Anyone ever installed a T1?

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've never done this before. One of our new buildings has just got a new one. They want me to test and turn up the T1? Not sure what this means exactly, if anyone could shed some light on this subject, that would be great!
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    It depends on the ISP. Whether they dropped a channel bank and are waiting for you to plug in a router with a T1 WIC or whether they put the router in and are waiting for your to plug your firewall into the ethernet port on the router.

Either way, you need to call your ISP. Many times one guy drags the cable and sets up the demarc where another guy comes and puts the CPE (customer premise equipment) in. Usually an ad tran with a sign that says "DON'T TOUCH!".
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Call the ISP, they will work with you. Like it_consultant said, they will usually drop a line from the demarc so you can plug it into your equipment. At our main office, they put the Adtrans (isp equipment) in our server room. Do not touch the Adtrans, they belong to the isp.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    what type of device and what type of T1? I'm sure its a serial T1, but it can be optical or whatever

Main thing I always do

Loop from the Smart Jack if a serial back to your other site? If you see the circuit come up you know the circuit path is good. If not don't hook up your gear until you get that part fixed

Once that's out the way check your path back to the smart jack. Is your gear in the same room or are you getting extended? If you are getting extended loop from the extension back to your gear. If it comes up good, if not T/S that.

Once you have both of those done you can plug in and your circuit should comes up the only thing now would be errors from the telco.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    occasionally the ISP will leave the demarc in the basement when your offices are on the 6th floor and then when you tell them to extend it to your floor they just come out and show you where the circuit is in the basement telco room.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    bwbecraftbwbecraft Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Testing is usually just sending different packet patters across the link and checking for packet loss. We leave the T1's up for about 3-4 weeks before pulling them into production, permitting they don't produce any errors within that time frame. Most of my sites have "SmartJacks" as the demarc. ISP's are able to put soft loops on these devices so they can test prior to handing off to the Client. These jacks will also loop themselves if the circuit starts taking on too many errors. Is this network going to be monitored by the ISP?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your ISP should do the test and turn up. I worked for one for a while.