Options

Sonicwall Problems

excalibur1814excalibur1814 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

In all honesty, we've always had on and off VPN problems with Sonicwall over the years with regards to clients connecting via their vpn software, but the latest change has really been quite a mess.

I now have four users working at home and only one has a stable connection after changing his Netgear Router for a Zyxel type.

Sonicwall support has been pretty much silent despite having 24x7 support! I've posted client logs, firewall logs, the lot. Nothing.

So...

Should I setup a Server 2008 RRAS box and go that route?
Mooooo

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I am not sure you will find anyone that thinks holding onto the sonicwall is a good idea. Those things have all sorts of problems nailing up VPNs to devices that are not sonicwalls. There are a lot of fortinet fans here, you could look into that.

For you remote users I suggest getting the smallest fortinet, WG, juniper, whatever, shipping it to them. Getting them on a static IP, set the VPN up correctly, order them never to touch it.

Been there, tried doing it cheaply, never again. I've had remote offices that insist having a dynamic IP and a dynamic dns account was a good idea that resulted in stable connections if we just knew what we were doing. It know, its a battle sometimes.
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply and you've pretty much nailed it on the head. I won't be buying another sonicwall. Shame for them really.

I'll get the a FORTINET Fortigate 50B to try at home first...

Thank you very much!

P.s. If anyone else has anything to say about Sonicwall, I'm glad to read it as I need to know for when I write my final post.
    Mooooo
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What clients do you support and what's your budget? How many connections?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    I support
    Outside the network:
    - around 5 in South Africa (All XP)
    - 3 in Seattle (Win 7)
    - 12 in The Netherlands (XP)
    - 8 ish in the UK (Mixture)

Within
    - 97 ish

The Seattle are covered by Remote desktop connections, as is The Netherlands with a point to point VPN setup between the Sonic and Zyxel router.

It's the UK people that have the problem. Netgear routers, Sonic VPN client software.

Budget? Get it fixed or else budget :)
    Mooooo