Options

USB>Console cable?

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
Quick Question.

I just realized none of my computers have a serial port. What is a good USB> Serial console cable that people use for their CCNA lab?

Comments

• Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mark076h wrote: »
    Quick Question.

I just realized none of my computers have a serial port. What is a good USB> Serial console cable that people use for their CCNA lab?

Tripp-Lite makes a good one...I use it all the time for work.

Amazon.com: Tripp Lite U209-000-R USB2 Serial Adapter: Electronics
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    Tripp-Lite makes a good one...I use it all the time for work.

Amazon.com: Tripp Lite U209-000-R USB2 Serial Adapter: Electronics

thanks but i see this one has over 100 good reviews: Amazon.com: TRENDnet USB to Serial Converter TU-S9 (Blue): Electronics
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    never leave home without it! icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    egb893egb893 Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mark076h wrote: »
    thanks but i see this one has over 100 good reviews: Amazon.com: TRENDnet USB to Serial Converter TU-S9 (Blue): Electronics
    I have the same one. I've never had any problems with it.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    I have a rosewill from newegg running the pl2303 driver. 10 bucks. Runs fine on 32/64 bit Vista and Win 7.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Have the same one. 90% of these cables use the Prolific 2303 chipset. My only advice is to get one that has a length of cable between the USB side and the Serial side, so you don't break your USB port off under stress.
  • Options
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Have the same one. 90% of these cables use the Prolific 2303 chipset. My only advice is to get one that has a length of cable between the USB side and the Serial side, so you don't break your USB port off under stress.

Good point, 2 heavy DB9 connectors definitely weigh down the usb connection....luckly I had a spare 6ft usb M-F extender.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Make sure it is a FTDI or Prolific chipset and you're generally good for driver support in all major OSes assuming the adapter is well made. If you're that one hold out that is still using OS/2 then success is not guaranteed :P
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Make sure it is a FTDI or Prolific chipset and you're generally good for driver support in all major OSes assuming the adapter is well made. If you're that one hold out that is still using OS/2 then success is not guaranteed :P

OS/2 warp...oh my childhood...lol
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    I am using the most incredible model!

Nah not really I use a 3$ unit from eBay that was shipped out of china works great and at that price you can always afford a backup unit!
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    These USB threads pop up a lot. I like the old serials but one of these days my work will give me a laptop that only has USB.

There is a lot to be said for the old hardwired ports. They have set COM numbers and don't list themselves over and over (in Windows) when you plug/unplug. But there's a lot to be said about devices that don't have any pins that kids can bend. Although I have to admit I've never seen a DB9 that had bent pins. The DB25's were another story.

:)